Spilt D1?

3,551 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Txjack
ljax1979
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After the terrible Georgetown non-conference basketball schedule was released yesterday, several writers have proposed that D1 basketball should be split in tiers similar to D1 football (FBS & FCS). Knowing that we'll never compete for a D1 national title, what would you rather have:

A. A win in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament every 5-7 years

B. A chance to play for a "national title" among teams from low major conferences - OVC, Patriot League, etc.? I know that a tournament similar to this exists currently but in this scenario the NCAA tournament would only include teams from the power 5 conferences and other major conferences like the AAC and Big East.
PurpleOut
Staff
No. Absolutely not.

We were 3 seconds away from playing in the Sweet 16.
nacluth
That would be a boring NCAA tournament. I don't root for a Power 5 school in anything- though I grant I'm probably in the minority. The small schools make it worth watching. Villanova, Gonzaga, George Mason, Butler made the tourney so much better over the years. I could care less if Michigan St. or Florida or UCLA win. Give me the small schools.

I think BBall already has it right with all the available post-season tournaments. We could win those potentially if we don't make the NCAA's now. No need for a meaningless Championship. The biggest problem is always going to be scheduling, but it's part of the coach's game.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
INiedrauer
Staff
Hell to the no. Take the "madness" out of March Madness and watch the ratings plummet. Nobody will ever admit it, but watching Middle Tennessee beat Minnesota in the first weekend is the reason half of America tunes in.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

sfa17
That would be horrible. I don't think the NCAA would ever do anything like that. There would be outrage especially from school like gonzaga vcu and every half decent MM team. Look at how many people care about the NIT's and that tournament actually has a lot of power 5 program or the fcs playoffs. No true CBB fan would support this at any level.

Georgetown hasn't be relevant in years. Come March they probably won't be in the tournament again.

Plus the committee looks at strength of schedule so Georgetown better get some wins in the Big East or else. Bc they are not fooling anyone.
PurpleOut
Staff
Would also hurt a lot of programs and universities financially. The school and their entire conference benefits when a mid-major makes it out of the first round.

The payout and exposure just wouldn't be the same. Just like the FCS championship.
SFA88
I agree with the others here that it would be a terrible idea. There is more excitement in those first couple of rounds than the rest of the tournament. Everyone is trying to guess which 12th seeds will beat the 5th seeds and which teams will be the Cinderella among the 13th, 14th, and 15th seeds.

Where would you place Gonzaga, St. Mary's, and BYU from the WCC? Wichita State? VCU? San Diego State? Dayton? They are clearly some of the best bball teams in the country but they are also mid-majors.

Instead of settling for yet another lower tier tournament, I would rather build a program that can get to the NCAA tourney on a regular basis and win some games there. Put money into the program, pay your coaches enough that they want to stay, build facilities, be the next Gonzaga, or Butler, or Davidson. It's much cheaper to build a nationally recognized program in bball than it is in football. SFA has already gained some brand awareness and credibility from its bball program. How much further the university goes depends on how much it is willing to spend.
TallTexan
FCS football is almost worthless. FCS basketball would be as well. Hell, I'd give up our football team right now if it meant getting to play in March Madness every year.

There are two things valuable in college sports, prestige and visibility. March Madness brings both. It's the best marketing tool SFA has, hands down.
Txjack
Agreed, keep as is...the "what if we had beaten ND" still makes me crazy!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.