Summer Ball

8,053 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by No-look
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
when do the players start coming to the gym? Saw where KU had a scrimmage the other day. Any summer work outs?
sfa17
cam was on campus today. Played a game of pick up basketball at wrj with the rest of the team (source: His Snapchat ). also saw ty in the video. Ty's arm was in a sling. idk what happened. (i think i remember him getting hurt in katy last season idk could be wrong)
No-look
sfa17 said:

cam was on campus today. Played a game of pick up basketball at wrj with the rest of the team (source: His Snapchat ). also saw ty in the video. Ty's arm was in a sling. idk what happened. (i think i remember him getting hurt in katy last season idk could be wrong)
. Injury has plagued him lately. Hope it's nothing serious.
No-look
Bogues and Fisher on campus yet?
PurpleOut
Staff
Cam was in town for orientation.
PurpleOut
Staff
Cam has officially qualified and will be on campus July 9th.
SFA Jack Fanatic
What are the NCAA rules for summer workouts? How much are the coaches allowed to work with the players during off season?
SFA88
edstile said:

What are the NCAA rules for summer workouts? How much are the coaches allowed to work with the players during off season?

THIS is a link to an ESPN article from June 2012. Looks like that change made it a little better for the coaches.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA88 said:

edstile said:

THIS is a link to an ESPN article from June 2012. Looks like that change made it a little better for the coaches.
Thanks, 88! You're the man! Just what I needed.

Key passage from the article: "In men's basketball, a student-athlete who is enrolled in summer school may engage in required weight-training, conditioning and skill-related instruction for up to eight weeks (not required to be consecutive weeks). Participation in such activities shall be limited to a maximum of eight hours per week with not more than two hours per week spent on skill-related instruction." And they "may participate only during the period of the institution's summer term or terms (opening day of classes through last day of final exams) in which he is enrolled."
PurpleOut
Staff
Shannon will be on campus in a week as well.
No-look
What about Fisher? Haven't heard anything about him lately?
PurpleOut
Staff
Comeaux on campus already, summer school starts next week. Not sure on Fisher.

SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Comeaux on campus already, summer school starts next week. Not sure on Fisher.

You just got my adrenaline flowing, Purple! (Yeah, I know.... I need to save some for the football Jacks.)
sfa17

Looks like Stefon is going to be on campus by Monday

PurpleOut
Staff
Was about to say that, I'm assuming he was waiting to hear on being qualified. Great news.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

Looks like Stefon is going to be on campus by Monday

Stefon looks pretty raw in this video. IMO, not very aggressive in using his big body, sort of like a bulkier Jovan. I wonder if a redshirt is in his future?
PurpleOut
Staff
We watching the same video? Definitely still raw, but his athleticism and skill level is already miles ahead of Jovan, IMO. The clip at 1:55 is fantastic.
sfa17
I agree he is miles above Jovan. Jovan struggles with basic ball handling. i dont think i have every seen jovan dribble the basketball or even drive to the basket and Stefon is listed as a PF not center
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

We watching the same video? Definitely still raw, but his athleticism and skill level is already miles ahead of Jovan, IMO. The clip at 1:55 is fantastic.
I didn't mean to suggest that he appears to be no better of an athlete than Gru. He pretty clearly is. For instance, he can actually hold onto the ball for a few seconds. (I hope Gru is working on that.) What I am saying is that in this clip that he didn't seem to use his big body to its full advantage, instead taking short pull-up jumpers. A guy his size needs to rule the paint. He may eventually be able to do that, or he may already be able to and just didn't show it in this clip. I hope that he eventually becomes a dominant big man in the SLC, since the strength coach will no doubt do a number on him in the months and years ahead.

Anyway, it's just an observation on my part, since it's impossible to judge a young man's total game -- good or bad -- based on a two minute video. I certainly hope he proves me wrong, and I'm sure one or more of the coaches have seen him up close and personal and have just a tiny bit better idea of what he can do than me.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

I agree he is miles above Jovan. Jovan struggles with basic ball handling. i dont think i have every seen jovan dribble the basketball or even drive to the basket and Stefon is listed as a PF not center
He may be listed as a PF but since we don't have a good, strong center right now that may become his role out of necessity in many situations sooner rather than later.
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
PurpleOut
Staff
You're of course open to your own opinion, and not saying either us is right or wrong, but I saw a few moves in there down low that were above average. The jumper only adds to his overall game. A big man with a jumper can be lethal, especially that step behind the line (like TJ).

Speaking of, I'm expecting big things from TJ this year. Sophomore slumps are common, and it appears he's working really hard this summer.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Probably the late 60's or early 70's. A young Coach Marshall Brown in the top right photo. He and Underwood were without a doubt the two best coaches in SFA history. Gotta love those short shorts on the players back then!
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

You're of course open to your own opinion, and not saying either us is right or wrong, but I saw a few moves in there down low that were above average. The jumper only adds to his overall game. A big man with a jumper can be lethal, especially that step behind the line (like TJ).

Speaking of, I'm expecting big things from TJ this year. Sophomore slumps are common, and it appears he's working really hard this summer.
I agree about TJ. I said following his very good freshman year that he'd be SLC Player of the Year before he graduates. I still believe that.
No-look
With our guard play and shooting that we should have this year, I look for TJ to have a great year. They can't pack it in on him. I also believe Leon will have a great year. He really came on the the second half of conference play.
No-look
Now guys on campus yet?
INiedrauer
Staff
Niemenen and Grujic are overseas, Gilmore is working with a trainer in Houston, others should be on campus.

Risk in red shirting guys is the chance of losing them to graduate transfer. Still, will be surprised if either Jovan or Stefon doesn't sit out. Nothing has been decided at this point though.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

PurpleOut
Staff
All newcomers should be on campus.
nacluth
I know Ivan's on campus because I almost ran him over when he biked across the street in front of me yesterday. Ok I wasn't that close, but I was close enough to see his little scraggly stubble beard.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
New guys been in the gym yet? If so, how they look?
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I know Ivan's on campus because I almost ran him over when he biked across the street in front of me yesterday. Ok I wasn't that close, but I was close enough to see his little scraggly stubble beard.
Unwritten rule: You are only allowed to hit non-players, Ryan.
nacluth
Sure, I would have run into a tree to take one for the team.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
nacluth said:

Nacluth, it's hard enough to keep everyone off crutches these days. Don't go beaming the players. Lol
No-look
INiedrauer said:

Niemenen and Grujic are overseas, Gilmore is working with a trainer in Houston, others should be on campus.

Risk in red shirting guys is the chance of losing them to graduate transfer. Still, will be surprised if either Jovan or Stefon doesn't sit out. Nothing has been decided at this point though.
I'm assuming Fisher is in the gym by now. Was wondering how he looks? Haven't heard any buzz.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.