Underwood to Illinois

7,558 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TallTexan
Jyank24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure yall saw this yet, his run in Stillwater was short lived. Chasing some big time $$$
sfa17
Just laughed out loud. Wow underwood don't play. Next move NBA. Wow I thought we got screwed but okstate definitely got screwed. Money talks. Tough situation for his son at school too.

"Told the fractured relationship between Brad Underwood and Oklahoma State AD Mike Holder was a major factor in his decision to leave for Illinois. " - Jeff Goodman
RedRiverLa
Wow, that's awesome! Go Fightin Illini!!! My second team behind SFA.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Holy cow!!

As much as I'd like to ask "Where's the loyalty?", if someone offered me the kind of bucks that Illinois undoubtedly is, I'd go, too. They must have paid OK State a bundle to get him out of his contract.

But his players and future recruits at Illinois will probably always be wondering how long he'll be there, since money is more important to him than them or their school.

I appreciate what he did at SFA, but my opinion of Coach Brad just went down a few notches.
sfa17
Man I feel for the players. Especially averrette. BU also has a good recruiting class coming in at Illinois
TallTexan
I wonder where Boynton will end up. I had hoped we'd hire him last year, but would love to have him on the staff either way. But he'll probably go with Brad.
sfa17
Just spoke with an Oklahoma State official and was told Brad Underwood flew back with the team after the Michigan game Friday, landing at 8 pm CT. There was no indication he was leaving. School official was stunned and learned about his hiring at Illinois via twitter.
-Andy Katz
SFAXE93
The new Larry Brown.

I can't believe money was the only factor for the sudden move.

OSU must not have been the job he thought it would be, or the ADMIN or somebody rubbed him the wrong way.

He spoke so highly of OSU as if it was his dream job when he left us.

SFAXE93
Looking on the OSU boards and man are they pissed

One of the posters said

what i'm hearing negotiations didn't go well for underwoods camp. They wanted league average. Holder wasnt close to meeting it.

Told the relationship between Brad Underwood and Oklahoma State AD Mike Holder was a major factor in his
SFA Jack Fanatic
One good thing about it... We probably won't be recruiting against him very much now.
SFAXE93
6 year deal 3 million a season.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

The new Larry Brown.

I can't believe money was the only factor for the sudden move.

OSU must not have been the job he thought it would be, or the ADMIN or somebody rubbed him the wrong way.

He spoke so highly of OSU as if it was his dream job when he left us.

Mike Gundy is an OSU alum who's had unprecedented success and he still butts heads with admin and T Boone all the time. People are constantly trying to run him out of town.

Honestly not surprised that BU left, interesting that it was after only 1 season though.
sfa17
But sources say any chance of a compromise on Underwood's part were squelched Monday when during a meeting he felt insulted by Holder. The source said that Underwood was told by Holder that Ford won more games in his first year than did Underwood and went on to make five NCAA Tournaments. The source said that Underwood was so angry he got up to leave the office at that point, though Holder convinced him to stay.

"I think that was really hurtful," the source said. "I believe that was the dagger." "He was going to Illinois the moment Holder said that to him," the source said.
-newsok.com

http://m.newsok.com/brad-vibes-underwood-came-to-believe-that-osu-didnt-value-basketball-as-much-as-it-should/article/5542289
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

But sources say any chance of a compromise on Underwood's part were squelched Monday when during a meeting he felt insulted by Holder. The source said that Underwood was told by Holder that Ford won more games in his first year than did Underwood and went on to make five NCAA Tournaments. The source said that Underwood was so angry he got up to leave the office at that point, though Holder convinced him to stay.

"I think that was really hurtful," the source said. "I believe that was the dagger." "He was going to Illinois the moment Holder said that to him," the source said.
-newsok.com

http://m.newsok.com/brad-vibes-underwood-came-to-believe-that-osu-didnt-value-basketball-as-much-as-it-should/article/5542289
Drama in college basketball. A great read. Thanks for sharing.
sfa17
Chaos is fun to watch from a distance
nacluth
It's no question that he left SFA better. We knew that we couldn't pay him for long. But in three awesome years he put us on the map. Essentially the best three years for any coach possible (save that tip in ).

I don't think the same can be said for OKST. They took a step forward this year, but this could immediately set them back. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gottlieb running the team, but who knows what he will bring to the table? We were sad, but there's no question the Cowboys' players and fans got screwed.
INiedrauer
Staff
Brad would probably argue that they ultimately got screwed by a football school refusing to commit to his "Dream Big" basketball philosophy. Seems to me there's plenty of blame to go around though.
nacluth
Oh yeah. I'm not assigning blame, but the basketball program/fans got screwed over however it came down.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

It's no question that he left SFA better. We knew that we couldn't pay him for long. But in three awesome years he put us on the map. Essentially the best three years for any coach possible (save that tip in ).

That d***** tip in. Gee, thanks for re-opening that old wound.
INiedrauer
Staff
edstile said:

nacluth said:

That d***** tip in. Gee, thanks for re-opening that old wound.
Timehop already opened that wound for me today....
PurpleOut
Staff
My Timehop has been very emotional the past few weeks. Basically every conference/NCAA tourney post since I was in school.

We'll just end it with this. I don't know what is considered "going viral" these days, but this is out there:

sfa17
Just realized that underwood and walkup r probably going to reunite in Illinois
fortWorthJack
I don't have any sympathy for OSU. Money might of had something to do with it though, but if you wanna win you gotta pay. If Brad keeps producing, he will find that elite program that will get him to the finals. On another note, I didn't sound crazy, when I said we should have hired Mike Boynton. Only time will tell. Now he gets his HC with a big 12 school. Funny how that works.
corleycl
3 week old news, but check it out. Boynton was lucky he wasn't given the SFA job...

Mike Boynton Given 5-Year Deal Worth $5M, OSU Owed $3M from Illinois In 90 Days
http://www.pistolsfiringblog.com/mike-boynton-given-5-year-deal-worth-1m-osu-owed-3m-illinois-90-days/
No-look
I still watch the highlights from both those games from time to time. The bad part is every time I watch it that tip in still goes in .... Just one rebound, one tipped ball, one bad call reversed, etc... y'all excuse me while I try to pull myself together.
TallTexan
No-look said:

I still watch the highlights from both those games from time to time. The bad part is every time I watch it that tip in still goes in .... Just one rebound, one tipped ball, one bad call reversed, etc... y'all excuse me while I try to pull myself together.
After we beat the snot out of WVU, beating Wisconsin in the Sweet 16 wouldn't have been out of the question. I'm glad that making the tourney has become the floor of our success though, not the pinnacle of it like some teams(UNO).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.