Postseason

7,330 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BigJack85
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Should know tomorrow, obviously, but haven't seen anything yet. We would have had to put in a bid to host a game, no idea if we did.

Did see HBU will travel to Campbell in the CIT.
BigJack85
CBI or CIT. Either will give us some additional experience. Hope we get one.
PurpleOut
Staff
Hearing CBI from different people, just no confirmation anywhere.
MasterAxe
Is the CBI the "pay to play" tourney?
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

Is the CBI the "pay to play" tourney?
Both the CBI and CIT are 'pay to play' in which the host school pays in hopes of making their money back on ticket sales. See the "CIT and CBI Tournaments Primer" post under the Southland & NCAA forum.
MasterAxe
I guess that's means that if we are invited, we'll be on the road.

No way I see is paying to host
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA at Idaho on March 15 in the CIT.
SFA Jack Fanatic
edstile said:

SFA at Idaho on March 15 in the CIT.
Also in the CIT:

Lamar @ Texas State
Georgia State @ AMCC
HBU @ Campbell
BigJack85
Good opportunity for Purple. Short flight from Seattle to Spokane.... then a short drive...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Idaho finished 18-13, including 11-3 at home. One common opponent: Prison Tech, which they lost to in Huntsville, 69-62.
SFA Jack Fanatic
All 1st, 2nd, and quarterfinal round CIT games will be broadcast on Facebook Live.
sfa17
Good team at home. going to go with Idaho. good test for us.
INiedrauer
Staff
PurpleOut
Staff
Trying to decide, of all nights I randomly have tickets to see Josh Abbott in Seattle that night.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

Good team at home. going to go with Idaho. good test for us.
Ah, come on, 17. You gotta go with the Jacks!
BigJack85
I'd be interested in what the bid was? 20k , 30k. I'm guessing a traveling squad is about 30 or so people when you consider coaches wives staff and of course players. I'm guessing the 20k or so covers that cost or most of it.
TheRevSFA
BigJack85 said:

I'd be interested in what the bid was? 20k , 30k. I'm guessing a traveling squad is about 30 or so people when you consider coaches wives staff and of course players. I'm guessing the 20k or so covers that cost or most of it.

When Sam hosted the CIT last season it was 30k

400 people showed up....
sfa17
haha. Ive picked the jacks for 90 percent of this season. idaho is a decent team and at home. We have struggled against decent teams away. example :Sam , UNO, Rice, etc.the only decent team we beat away was Corpus without thomas. But still hope im wrong
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Obviously, the host school has to pay. I'm not sure if the visiting team has to pay anything other than their travel expenses.
sfa17
" It's believed the CIT fees start out at $30,000 and hosting a game costs more." -
http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2015/03/column_postseason_basketball_t.html

"The hosting fee is used to help visiting teams offset travel costs. The CIT tries to match opponents from similar regions, and pays all traveling expenses for a party of 22 to travel (air, hotel, bus and food) regardless of cost. It also compensates game officials" -
"Host schools keep 100% of the gate and any related concessions or parking."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2016/03/02/how-collegeinsider-com-changed-the-business-of-postseason-basketball/#120ccde68174
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

" It's believed the CIT fees start out at $30,000 and hosting a game costs more." -
http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2015/03/column_postseason_basketball_t.html

"The hosting fee is used to help visiting teams offset travel costs. The CIT tries to match opponents from similar regions, and pays all traveling expenses for a party of 22 to travel (air, hotel, bus and food) regardless of cost. It also compensates game officials" -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2016/03/02/how-collegeinsider-com-changed-the-business-of-postseason-basketball/#120ccde68174
Interesting. Thanks! The Forbes article is a very good one, BTW. Worth reading...

(They try to match teams from similar regions? SFA vs. Idaho???)
BigJack85
I wasn't far off.
MasterAxe
I just don't understand how some of these institutions can justify paying for this tournament.

Idaho is moving to FCS football because of (in part) financial issues.

Now, paying 30K+ for a game that might draw 500 people doesn't seem logical.

But, it's their money.
INiedrauer
Staff
If that Forbes article is to be believed, CIT attendance is generally pretty good.
TheRevSFA
INiedrauer said:

If that Forbes article is to be believed, CIT attendance is generally pretty good.
It depends on the school.

Like I said, Sam drew 300 people after paying 30k to host last year.

INiedrauer
Staff
Looks like they're hosting the game in their Shelton Gym equivalent (where they still play a handful of games every year) and not in their actual 7k seat dome. That will cap the attendance at roughly 1500.
PurpleOut
Staff
It basically is the equivalent of Shelton.

TheRevSFA
Too bad. I would have loved to see a basketball game in the Kibbie Dome.

But I imagine it's spring break so they have to look at what their projected attendance is.
INiedrauer
Staff
No WNIT for the Ladyjacks. Snub if you ask me but I'll admit they were probably on the fence.

Ladyjacks will play at UTRGV in the opening round of the WBI, Thursday. 7PM tip.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFA Jack Fanatic
INiedrauer said:

No WNIT for the Ladyjacks. Snub if you ask me but I'll admit they were probably on the fence.

Ladyjacks will play at UTRGV in the opening round of the WBI, Thursday. 7PM tip.
They gave the SLC's WNIT bid to ACU. I thought that might happen, and it did.
SFAXE93
Lol back to the chance of winning 20 games.

Dallas gets to keep playing as well.

Looking forward to seeing how this team does.
INiedrauer
Staff
edstile said:

INiedrauer said:

They gave the SLC's WNIT bid to ACU. I thought that might happen, and it did.
ACU had the auto bid. SFA would've had to sneak in as an at-large.
SFA Jack Fanatic
INiedrauer said:

ACU had the auto bid. SFA would've had to sneak in as an at-large.
Thanks for the clarification. Disappointing either way.
BigJack85
I'm guessing the WBI pays about 15k for us to fly to the valley. Probably not much of a traveling party..... maybe 20.
nacluth
Ross and Lewis have experience with the WBI. They went to the finals two years ago. I hope they win and go deep. I also hope we host one postseason game though I know they don't like to spend the money. I think they wanted to host the semifinals when they made their run, but teams that pay first round have preference going forward.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.