SFA / California Baptist

6,385 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by BigJack85
RedRiverLa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nana- 5 shots in the key, 1 3pt attempt. 0 points.
Jacks1989
Guys, it looks like a Fireball kinda night. Well atleast we are going to find out what this team is made of. They can fight through this or lay down. I bet they will fight.
SFA88
Ladyjacks get smoked at CBU. I didn't really expect a win but I didn't expect a thrashing. To add further insult, GCU outscored UTA 17 to 2 in the last 4 minutes to win 67-61.
SFASawmillGuy
Every team has down years. Unfortunately it looks like both football and basketball had it in the same year.

No reason to jump ship or lose hope. But it does hurt seeing the two biggest revenue and exposure sports for SFA to be down in the same year.
MasterAxe
https://www.dailysentinel.com/news/local/keller-really-disappointed-in-officiating-in-back-to-back-losses/article_e0535121-67a2-5492-8222-70ac909b3001.html

Keller going after refs.

Quote I noticed "The game is 40 minutes, that's disappointing."

He's referring to the refs basically quitting late in the game.

Of course, if the team played better for 40 minutes, this would have been a rout.
SFAXE93
Is the program showing progress in the last 5 seasons?

2023-24: 12-8; 5-4
2022-23: 19-13; 11-7
2021-22: 22-10; 14-4
2020-21: 16-5; 12-3
2019-20: 28-3; 19-1
Ljacks&Longnecks
The 2019/20 team was special, but Covid prevented us from all the post season.
The WAC is a different level from the SLC. More teams and overall stronger group. Tougher competition and now we generally get more D1 non conference games so that has translated into more losses. Probably to be expected when moving up from a conference that ranked about #30 in MBB to one that ranks what 16,17th in that category.
Just an opinion, on W/L records , not on the coaches or players. Obviously need lots of work to be consistently on or near top of WAC.
And winning at home becomes all the more important
SFA88
Win the WAC tournament and none of this matters.
No-look
Anyone got the video on that last possession?
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

Every team has down years. Unfortunately it looks like both football and basketball had it in the same year.

No reason to jump ship or lose hope. But it does hurt seeing the two biggest revenue and exposure sports for SFA to be down in the same year.

Ya. I "kind of" feel that way. Really thought 2023-2024 was going to be a good year and that we would challenge for a title. Hard to see that happening, at this stage in the season.

Still some real positives. We have a solid group. Just can't seem to connect an entire 40 minutes.

Frank Staine would have had impact tonight.
nacluth
SFAXE93 said:

Is the program showing progress in the last 5 seasons?

2023-24: 12-8; 5-4 (currently T-4th)
2022-23: 19-13; 11-7 (4th WAC)
2021-22: 22-10; 14-4 (WAC Champs)
2020-21: 16-5; 12-3 (3rd Southland)
2019-20: 28-3; 19-1 (Southland Champs)

I don't know what kind of progress or not we see from these records. We lost two games by two points that were the difference between 1st and 4th in this league. This year's not over, and while I'm realistic that we're not currently trending toward winning WACVegas, I still think we have an opportunity to be second through fourth in a very competitive league.

Keller deserves criticism like all coaches. But his teams besides his horrible third year team (beat Baylor) have been competitive.
No-look
BigJack85 said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

Ya. I "kind of" feel that way. Really thought 2023-2024 was going to be a good year and that we would challenge for a title. Hard to see that happening. Nonetheless, we have a solid group. Just can't seem to connect an entire 40 minutes.

and Day Day
BigJack85
No-look said:

BigJack85 said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

Ya. I "kind of" feel that way. Really thought 2023-2024 was going to be a good year and that we would challenge for a title. Hard to see that happening. Nonetheless, we have a solid group. Just can't seem to connect an entire 40 minutes.

and Day Day

True Dat….
SFAXE93
2023-24: 12-8; 5-4 (currently T-4th)
2022-23: 19-13; 11-7 (4th WAC) Lost in the first round of the WAC Tourney
2021-22: 22-10; 14-4 (WAC Champs) Lost in the first round of the WAC Tourney; Lost in the 1st Round of the CBI
2020-21: 16-5; 12-3 (3rd Southland)
2019-20: 28-3; 19-1 (Southland Champs)
nacluth
Side note. The year we went 14-4 to become WAC champs, we were 4-4 and despondent. Rolled off 10 straight to end the season and claim a share of the title.
SFAJack_76
I find this to very uncomfortable, at best. Blaming the refs for the mental health of his players. Perhaps, just perhaps, he should look somewhere else.
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

https://www.dailysentinel.com/news/local/keller-really-disappointed-in-officiating-in-back-to-back-losses/article_e0535121-67a2-5492-8222-70ac909b3001.html

Keller going after refs.

Quote I noticed "The game is 40 minutes, that's disappointing."

He's referring to the refs basically quitting late in the game.

Of course, if the team played better for 40 minutes, this would have been a rout.

Keller BLASTED the refs of the last two games in the presser. I had never seen him so upset and vocal about refs, even the sorry ones in the sorry SLC.
He spoke the truth. My respect for him went up after watching that.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

The 2019/20 team was special, but Covid prevented us from all the post season.
The WAC is a different level from the SLC. More teams and overall stronger group. Tougher competition and now we generally get more D1 non conference games so that has translated into more losses. Probably to be expected when moving up from a conference that ranked about #30 in MBB to one that ranks what 16,17th in that category.
Just an opinion, on W/L records , not on the coaches or players. Obviously need lots of work to be consistently on or near top of WAC.
And winning at home becomes all the more important

We've got a good nucleus. Keller seems to improve players. You see it with Jalil, Southwick and some of the juco transfers.

What I think we are missing is that relentless type of player, like a Kensmil or Walkup, that just "geared up". Right now our team is "about as athletic" as our competition. GCU seems to be separate, in regards to talent. We have to beat teams that have a similar talent level.
nacluth
Agreed. The refs weren't up 16 and then let in four straight threes. Or missed 5 two foot shots in six possessions at the beginning of the second half. Or…

Mental health for the team starts and stops with the coach. He has seemed frustrated this season and the team has seemed to follow suit.
purpleballs
When did our offense turn into Cajuste driving to the basket? Feel like that's all we did the last 5 minutes.
nacluth
This has been our offense the last couple of games when we're down at the end. Cajuste driving hard to draw fouls. It's had some success. Came back from 10 down to have a chance to tie. It's not the easiest to defend. Wish we didn't have to use it though.
BigJack85
purpleballs said:

When did our offense turn into Cajuste driving to the basket? Feel like that's all we did the last 5 minutes.

Seems like the best bet when Nana couldn't buy a bucket. Just kept getting stifled inside. I would have put more options in Jossell's hands. Both nights. He's your guy.
No-look
Watching the game live it looked like AJ got hammered. That could be me looking through purple glasses. Would like to see the video.
Jacks1989
Wow! Never saw Coach K blowup like that in a presser. Pissed at the refs. I don't blame him, 2 games in a row.
nacluth
The time stamp for the replays on the ESPN+ is 2:14:45.

I've watched it 50 plus times and it's hard to tell. In real time it looks like AJ catches a forearm. In slo-mo it's less clear.
purpleballs
Why not have one of our bigs down low to dish off to or rebound? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but seemed like cajuste would be his man off the dribble and still was contested at the basket by one of their bigs.
purpleballs
He does seem to miss a few 1 footers a game.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

I find this to very uncomfortable, at best. Blaming the refs for the mental health of his players. Perhaps, just perhaps, he should look somewhere else.

I like the energy, but this will probably get him fined by the WAC. I agree with him though. Had those two calls been made in the past two games SFA walks out with 2 huge wins and controls their own destiny. The uphill climb just got a lot steeper. Yes, I will always be on the side of one play doesn't lose you the game. But it is very frustrating to know that two games in a row the ref's not calling blatant fouls sealed the deal for us.
MasterAxe
SFAJack_76 said:

I'm glad he addressed it later in the presser, because his ranting and raving and whining about how referees cause mental health issues for coaches and players, DOING SO AFTER THE COACHES VS CANCER GAME, just reeked of a lack of self-awareness.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I have no problem with what he did or said. He showed concern and passion in the heat of the moment. Should he have said things differently? Sure.

So he gets penalized by the conference. So what? He said what needed to be said. Maybe it will open some eyes in the WAC office and among the league's officials. If he would have just played nice and said nothing then nothing will be changed as to how close games are officiated.
RedRiverLa
purpleballs said:

Why not have one of our bigs down low to dish off to or rebound? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but seemed like cajuste would be his man off the dribble and still was contested at the basket by one of their bigs.

Yep, that was our strategy. Foul their really bad free throw shooting big and get AJ to the line. It did work to get us back in the game. I thought we might be setting up AJ to pop it out to Jossell once they all collapsed on AJ, but never happened. We were going for the tie at home. In all my years, I have never seen a player slip when picking up a rolling ball to save time. Who knows what our final play was at that point. But playing for the foul on AJ would not have been my last play strategy. Probably would have brought Jimmy Chitwood around the swinging gate for the win.
RichieVan
Agree 1000%. With all the soft fouls called during the game on both sides, I would think hard contact to the head would be reason to call a foul.
We can talk about stopping the three ball (our defense is geared to giving too many threes) and having a sixteen point lead but, bottom line, fouls have to be called, especially so egregious. Contact is contact, period.
Refs, like Coaches, have to be accountable. And, right now, the WAC has a problem and good for Keller for pointing it out. I doubt anything will come from it, but any business as usual by the WAC would speak volumes.
My big gripe here is the refs make a bee line to the locker room. No concern for an injured player, no explanation for the lack of call. It is entirely unprofessional.
Hopefully, this fuels our team. Adversity can sink a team or propel a team. Time to find the character of this group.
Axe 'em!
CBU game refs
  • James Ford
  • Peter Larson
  • Grant Jeffres

GCU game refs
  • Nomi Kidwai
  • Justin Albrecht
  • Jacob Hirz

Just for the record.

MasterAxe
All the focus on the refs/Keller's complaining has made everyone conveniently forget that from 14:28 to 7:19 in the second half we scored a whopping 4 points.

Blame the refs all you want, we played some bad ball for long stretches.
Ljacks&Longnecks
And Master is correct here. Jack's did play poorly in much of the 2nd half. I ended up slumped in my seat after many blown shots and watching the CBU lead climb to double digits.
The non call foul complaint is valid I believe but playing consistently better ball especially in the 2nd half would have had us on top.
No-look
I wonder when was the last time CBU had a shooting night like this? 15 three pointers will win you most games.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.