SFA / California Baptist

6,105 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BigJack85
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

And Master is correct here. Jack's did play poorly in much of the 2nd half. I ended up slumped in my seat after many blown shots and watching the CBU lead climb to double digits.
The non call foul complaint is valid I believe but playing consistently better ball especially in the 2nd half would have had us on top.

I'm gonna print out your first five words, frame them, hang it in my office.
No-look
Anyone know what Stains injury is? Will Day Day make it back this year?
SFA Jack Fanatic
RedRiverLa said:

purpleballs said:

Why not have one of our bigs down low to dish off to or rebound? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but seemed like cajuste would be his man off the dribble and still was contested at the basket by one of their bigs.

Yep, that was our strategy. Foul their really bad free throw shooting big and get AJ to the line. It did work to get us back in the game. I thought we might be setting up AJ to pop it out to Jossell once they all collapsed on AJ, but never happened. We were going for the tie at home. In all my years, I have never seen a player slip when picking up a rolling ball to save time. Who knows what our final play was at that point. But playing for the foul on AJ would not have been my last play strategy. Probably would have brought Jimmy Chitwood around the swinging gate for the win.

Jimmy Chitwood... Ha! Good one, Red. I see what you did there.
SFAXE93
That was CBU's first time to hit 15.

3PT%: .322 (137-425)
3PT: Per Game: 7
Season High: 15 (50%;15-30) SFA

CBU Top 5 3PT% shooting for the season so far

10-18; .556 (UC Riverside) 12/16/23
15-30; .500 (SFA) 1/27/24
11-23; .478 (Southern Utah) 11/29/23
7-15; .467 (St. Thomas) 11/18/23
10-26; .385 (San Fran. State) 11/06/23
purpleballs
I believe you mean picket fence.
Jacks1989
Also, when was the last time the Jacks had a night of shooting 15 3 pointers?
RichieVan
I don't disagree with playing poorly in stretches, but we also scored 13 points in the last 3:40 of the game. So, let's just say the Jacks scored 10 points in that 7 minute stretch instead of 4 and the Jacks are up 6 late in the game. Do we just ignore the contact to Cajuste including a blow to the head?
Any fan should be incredulous about the non call which resulted in injury regardless of score. That's my point.
BigJack85
I hope Keller takes a close look at our perimeter defense. Not many teams are going to make 15 3-pointers, but…. We've got to get better at changing pace.
SFAXE93
Jacks1989 said:

Also, when was the last time the Jacks had a night of shooting 15 3 pointers?
Drake (11/20/23) 14 three pointers

other times

15 3pts against Paul Quinn (12/11/22)
15 3pts against Louisiana Tech (12/07/18)
15 3pts against McNeese (02/08/18)
MasterAxe
RichieVan said:

I don't disagree with playing poorly in stretches, but we also scored 13 points in the last 3:40 of the game. So, let's just say the Jacks scored 10 points in that 7 minute stretch instead of 4 and the Jacks are up 6 late in the game. Do we just ignore the contact to Cajuste including a blow to the head?
Any fan should be incredulous about the non call which resulted in injury regardless of score. That's my point.

I'm more concerned we're trending towards a program of "just better than average"

We're staring another 1-done in the WAC tourney right in the face.

Blame the refs all you want, there is no reason CBU should be that close to us.
RedRiverLa
purpleballs said:

I believe you mean picket fence.

I changed it to make it more 'Texas'
SFASawmillGuy
I do think we're seeing the dark side of the transfer portal, and that's how it's going to make it harder for Mid Majors to maintain any level of success. I've said this before but we became a top mid major because we had teams that grew together. When players are with each other for several seasons and not just one. Our players were molded into top tier players, not just coming in and being expected to perform at a championship level as a team.

Mid Majors are just gonna have a harder time bringing in talent that's immediately ready to compete. Don't get me wrong, we have some really good players that we got in the portal, but they definitely look like they need more time in the system to learn exactly how each other works and how the coaching staff wants them to play.
nacluth
Yep Master. It's about confidence in the team and what they can accomplish. Having watched years of SFA basketball, I know this team could rival some of the best. I'm sure some will disagree, but this may be the best talent corporately of any team. But they haven't found their belief in each other, in their ability, in the system. If they do, then they could have a magical end of year. But we're still in quick exit mode.

Thought this week could have changed things, but we'll have to see if something else flips the switch.
No-look
Tried to watch the replay on ESPN + but wasn't available. Wanted to see the last possession. Sure looked like AJ got mauled.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

I do think we're seeing the dark side of the transfer portal, and that's how it's going to make it harder for Mid Majors to maintain any level of success. I've said this before but we became a top mid major because we had teams that grew together. When players are with each other for several seasons and not just one. Our players were molded into top tier players, not just coming in and being expected to perform at a championship level as a team.

Mid Majors are just gonna have a harder time bringing in talent that's immediately ready to compete. Don't get me wrong, we have some really good players that we got in the portal, but they definitely look like they need more time in the system to learn exactly how each other works and how the coaching staff wants them to play.

True. One related thought. Almost every player on this roster has at least one year of eligibility left. Am I correct? I believe Frank Staine is the only player out of eligibility.

If Keller is able to hold onto 9-10 of these guys for next season's roster, we could have a "well oiled machine". I haven't given up on this squad, but we do have some pillars to build on.
nacluth
I could be wrong, but I believe Nana and AJ are out of eligibility.
Jacks1989
I was thinking the same thing on Nana and AJ. Out of eligibility. Could be wrong also.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I could be wrong, but I believe Nana and AJ are out of eligibility.

AJ , I think you are correct, at least per verbal commits. For some reason (Covid year) I think Nana has one more year of eligibility .

We'd need to hold onto Southwick AND Beaubrun. I think Beaubrun has another leap to make. Hopefully this year, but for sure next year.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

The time stamp for the replays on the ESPN+ is 2:14:45.

I've watched it 50 plus times and it's hard to tell. In real time it looks like AJ catches a forearm. In slo-mo it's less clear.
I watched it multiple times also. Not 50, but several. I see it the same as you. AJ's injury seemed to be his left elbow. That's what he grabbed after his slip, and what he was holding going off the floor.

Because I did not see the GCU game, I watched the ending of that one multiple times. Hayman clearly got fouled. Perhaps he misses two like he did late against CBU, but he should have been given the chance.
No-look
Scotty Washington had 26 against us Saturday. He averages 5 CBU could have thrown it behind their back and it would have went in.
ServiceJack88
Just fire Keller
SFA Jack Fanatic
ServiceJack88 said:

Just fire Keller

Thanks for that brilliant analysis.
Jacks1989
Hard pass on that. I like Coach K and how he represents the Jacks and SFA. These kids are going to make a run!
SFASawmillGuy
ServiceJack88 said:

Just fire Keller

Took longer than I expected after how fast the football threads turned on Colby.

And just like with those threads, horrible f***ing idea.
Rev007
Who passed out the free rose colored glasses?
AxeEm99
ServiceJack88 said:

Just fire Keller

If anyone needs to stay, it's Keller!! He has done a great job with our basketball program. I only wish we would go back to the consistent press and trap that was so effective when Brad Underwood was coach.... We are not exactly "PressU" anymore.
SFAJack_76
ServiceJack88 said:

Just fire Keller
A little over $500k. How much of that are you in for?
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

ServiceJack88 said:

Just fire Keller
A little over $500k. How much of that are you in for?

None of the fire Keller chatter makes sense. Sure we've had some downers, but be realistic. Other than one season, all he's done is win. Sure a couple seasons didn't meet past expectations…. All in all a coach with a 67% winning percentage shouldn't be on the hot seat. Service Jack, take a seat.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
Coach K talked about the injured and sick players. There went the team depth that we were so happy about at the beginning of the year.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Coach K talked about the injured and sick players. There went the team depth that we were so happy about at the beginning of the year.

If we can have 10-11 scholarship guys suit up, we good.
BigJack85
DayDay out for the rest of the season. Ugh.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.