SFA / Tarleton

3,970 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by BigJack85
jboy93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jboy93 said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

I never want to hear us referred to as a "basketball school" ever again until we can actually have support for basketball in the stands. It's a rare sight to see the stadium at half capacity. That's not acceptable.
I haven't seen it close to half in a long time!
I'm sure all of the students are getting ready for finals and studying their butts off!
nacluth
Well it's taken one WAC game to make everyone super anxious about the season.
nacluth
Wilson will pass when he has a wide open layup.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Always disappointing to lose at home especially in this League. Road wins are hard to get.
Plenty of season to go but a stumble to start conference play.
jboy93
nacluth said:

Well it's taken one WAC game to make everyone super anxious about the season.
We could not handle their defense! Day Day not that many minutes. Scoring droughts! Bigs thinking they are 3 point shooters etc etc etc...
jboy93
9:01 left and we are up by 9 and forget how to score for the next 5 minutes!
nacluth
A forgettable game, but Staine has been a boost in this game.
TallTexan
They tried the double inbound pass again tonight.

Hated them for that last year.
nacluth
Hayman. They're supposed to be free.
nacluth
4 seconds. Down by 2. Can we push to OT?
TallTexan
That was the best play after a timeout?
MasterAxe
I promised myself I would not get worked up about terrible losses. So, I'm not.

Why? Doesn't matter.

We weren't getting an at-large, so no need to worry about losing games.

We trying to win an irrelevant regular season title? One that probably won't even get us in the NIT?

The WAC tourney is all that matters.

And, frankly, we're prime example of being a top seed there is irrelevant. We're as likely to be (un)successful as a 1 seed or 6, 7, 8 seed.

Just gotta make it.

So, happy happy joy joy,

I hope everyone had fun.

Ljacks&Longnecks
Not a great last shot there. Again a stumble out of the gate.
jboy93
Not sure why Jossell was not in at the end?
nacluth
I don't know what the final play was, but I can't imagine it was supposed to be Wilson shooting a three.

0-1 in WAC play with zero momentum going to Abilene.
jboy93
At least the Ladyjacks are going to win!
BigJack85
Tough loss. Almost could see this coming. We've had this type of game before. Still think we have a lot of upside. ACU is a must.
jboy93
25% from 3 point and 65% from the free throw line is not going to win you a lot of games.
TallTexan
I'd rather Southwick have tried it so you'd have time for a rebound.
JHard
Which team didn't have their head coach tonight?

That was the most baffling game and performance I've seen in a long time. And it's on Keller.
TallTexan
jboy93 said:

25% from 3 point and 65% from the free throw line is not going to win you a lot of games.

One of these days I'm gonna count up how many games we'd have won over the past decade if we just shot the CBB free throw average.
BigJack85
jboy93 said:

They were guarding him tight. Maybe as a decoy? I agree. He should have been in Help out odds of getting an uncontested shot.
BigJack85
The most perplexing thing to me, is our inexorable slow starts. So tight that first 3-4 minutes.
SFASawmillGuy
November is a weird time to start conference play. Not making excuses but even Underwood's teams were highly inconsistent before January. SFA always seems to not be in a groove until then.
SFASawmillGuy
2023 has been a bad year in all sports for the Cardiac Jacks.
JHard
jboy93 said:

Or Hall.

Or Cajuste.

Why didn't Beaubrun or Hayman really play at all in the 2nd half?

Christmas seems like a really athletic and potentially solid player, but he had a really bad game tonight...and for some reason played basically the final 5 minutes. For someone like Keller that likes to sub off guys within 3 seconds after tipoff for anything they do wrong...I can't figure out what was happening tonight.
BigJack85
20 game WAC schedule. Going to be a grind. Maybe our depth will show. Right now it's just a crutch.
SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85 said:

20 game WAC schedule. Going to be a grind. Maybe our depth will show. Right now it's just a crutch.

Out depth will be our strength once we get into a groove. Look at the Drake game. Our bench is just as capable of making an impact as our starters. Just need to find that rhythm.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

2023 has been a bad year in all sports for the Cardiac Jacks.

Volleyball?
SFASawmillGuy
Nah they've just been dominating. Haven't needed too much liquid strength to help me get through their games.
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy said:

November is a weird time to start conference play. Not making excuses but even Underwood's teams were highly inconsistent before January. SFA always seems to not be in a groove until then.

I definitely agree and Keller teams always play their best basketball at the end.

But this was a disappointing way to start conference play.
JHard
SFASawmillGuy said:

BigJack85 said:

Out depth will be our strength once we get into a groove. Look at the Drake game. Our bench is just as capable of making an impact as our starters. Just need to find that rhythm.

I really like our depth. But right now it seems like the exact opposite of a strength.

We have POY type players in Hall and Jossell who sometimes barely get minutes or plays drawn up for them.

Oh you committed a foul within the first minute of the game? Take a seat.

What player on ANY team can get into a rhythm getting subbed on/off every few minutes? I must be missing something.
SFASawmillGuy
JHard said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

BigJack85 said:

I really like our depth. But right now it seems like the exact opposite of a strength.

We have POY type players in Hall and Jossell who sometimes barely get minutes or plays drawn up for them.

What player on ANY team can get into a rhythm getting subbed on/off every few minutes? I must be missing something.

Hall and Jossell definitely need to see more minutes but it also seems like this game was treated like any other game in November normally is. Trying to get the rotation going. We play aggressively on defense which will inevitably mean our best guys will get in foul trouble against good teams. I would rather us struggle trying to find that rhythm now than in February and March when we will be needing to close out games.

JHard
SFASawmillGuy said:

JHard said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

BigJack85 said:

Hall and Jossell definitely need to see more minutes but it also seems like this game was treated like any other game in November normally is. Trying to get the rotation going. We play aggressively on defense which will inevitably mean our best guys will get in foul trouble against good teams. I would rather us struggle trying to find that rhythm now than in February and March when we will be needing to close out games.

I get it, but our best 3 players had a combined 4 fouls and didn't get to play. I'm not sure what message he was trying to send, and it sucks we have to play conference games this early…but we HAVE to play to win games. Trying to save legs/energy or whatever right now doesn't do any good when you end up being the 6th seed in the tournament. Big red flag for me right now.
JHard
And then why wouldn't we rotate our best players in when the game is on the line? What was the point of the last 4 minutes if we weren't trying to win the game?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.