SFA / Middle Tennessee State

4,748 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Jacks1989
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wish we'd be more aggressive beyond the arch. It feels like Keller is just not a fan of it, but a lot of our guys get very wide open looks from 3 and end up trying to drive it into trouble or just keep passing.
MasterAxe
Late game/clutch time offense has been pitiful.
TallTexan
We're gonna want this one back later in the season if it plays out like this.
BigJack85
Geeeezzzzzz
nacluth
5 down with 45 seconds left. No offensive plays. It's like we're feeling it out.
Sawmill6thManRocco
29-8 FT Differential. Unreal.
nacluth
Jossell!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well the last 20 of 28 seconds were wasted
SFASawmillGuy
Really really bad clock management there. 2 scores we need to score now. Not burn 20 seconds.
nacluth
Ran 20 seconds with 30 seconds left then a timeout. . Terrible. There's no plan for two scores in 10 seconds.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Hate taking a loss after the good 1st half. But it's early in season.
nacluth
WAC went 2-1 against the C-USA tonight.
RichieVan
20 turnovers, 26 fouls and outscored by 15 on the foul line. Recipe for disaster
Ljacks&Longnecks
Sure need to work on plays in the last 30 seconds of a half. Was a problem last year and again tonight
both halves.
Jyank24
How does MT have 6 fouls through 2nd half and OT????

5 playing against 8 in the 2nd half

We didn't play pretty, but man that was some home cookin
nacluth
Played decently for 35 minutes. Final 10 minutes not great.

There was some great defense and signs of really good depth. Have to find some offense. We added a bunch of offensive guys but still only have one outside threat. Bigs look improved (not Beaubrun). Look forward to seeing some complete games soon.
TallTexan
Sawmill6thManRocco said:

Wow.

I know, I know. Can't leave it close enough to let the refs effect the outcome.

We could have won it, even in spite of that. But the refs shouldn't be eating our margin of error.
No-look
No one to blame but us for this one. Crucial turnovers and not much offense.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm going to remain positive. I'm going to remain positive. I'm going to remain positive....
Sawmill6thManRocco
TallTexan said:

Sawmill6thManRocco said:

Wow.

We could have won it, even in spite of that. But the refs shouldn't be eating our margin of error.

Ended up being 33-8 with the fouls we had to commit at the end. The game changed when Matt turned the ball over stepping on the end line on the inbounds and then Nana got the ball stolen from him. No idea why we are letting Nana bring the ball up. I understand the press break but he shouldn't be anywhere near the backcourt handling the ball.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I'm going to remain positive. I'm going to remain positive. I'm going to remain positive....

On a positive note, this team really is really something to watch when it cooks.

More well rounded looking team.
TallTexan
I still wish we pressed more as part of our defense though.
Jacks1989
Loved the defensive intensity in the first half and never got it back in the 2nd half. Defense is overall really good. Offensively I like our play in the inside, the bigs are playing well. Just really need to find our outside shots. We really need to get the Juice going.
BigJack85
Sawmill6thManRocco said:

TallTexan said:

Sawmill6thManRocco said:

Wow.

Ended up being 33-8 with the fouls we had to commit at the end. The game changed when Matt turned the ball over stepping on the end line on the inbounds and then Nana got the ball stolen from him. No idea why we are letting Nana bring the ball up. I understand the press break but he shouldn't be anywhere near the backcourt handling the ball.

Ya. Nana bringing up the ball. Why?
No-look
They got lucky on seven points. First half kissed a desperation three off the glass, desperation two that kissed off the glass and that second half throw up from the side as time clock expired. But all three of those shots still counted.
No-look
Has AJ been hurt? Didn't play a lot
SFA88
No-look said:

They got lucky on seven points. First half kissed a desperation three off the glass, desperation two that kissed off the glass and that second half throw up from the side as time clock expired. But all three of those shots still counted.
I agree with the announcers, too. There was no reason for those fouls way out away from the basket. Team has to be smarter than that. You know you are getting called tight. Don't risk fouls out there.
TallTexan
Jacks1989 said:

Loved the defensive intensity in the first half and never got it back in the 2nd half. Defense is overall really good. Offensively I like our play in the inside, the bigs are playing well. Just really need to find our outside shots. We really need to get the Juice going.

I'm not worried, overall think we played a decent game, but we definitely looked like a team playing it's second game of the year at the end.

Agree on all points.

Jossell still got one of the prettiest shots in college basketball. With Southwick and Nana being able to hit a three on occasion, really gets you some opportunities to keep a defense guessing.

Noticed tonight that Southwick was great with looking for the assist if he got the ball down low. Should have held onto one or two of them for a momentum changing dunk attempt though. He might turn out real nice for us.

Definitely need to expand our non transition offense though. But it's still super early in the year.
SFAJack_76
Paraphrasing a couple of comments from Jasick on the post game with Rob:

• Part of the foul discrepancy was on us. I love this team but, we were too soft inside.
  • Keys coming into the game were rebounding and taking care of the ball. We didn't do either one.
Jacks1989
Tough loss last night, it reminded me of the Furman game last year. Really like how we played in the first half after we got down big. We looked great on both sides of the ball. Aggressive defense which was causing turnovers which was getting us some easy buckets. Hopefully this is a good sign of what this team can do once they put it all together. Love how both Christmas and Southwick are playing. If Southwick can stay healthy he can be really good. Stone looks like a nice pickup also. Really like his size. Not sure what's going on with Jalil. He looks like he trimmed down from last year and is a lot faster on the court, just not being productive. Also, we need AJ to get going. He played great last year and is a special player. He just hasn't hit his groove yet.

Need to cut down on the fouls and stop turning the ball over. Have to put this behind us. The Jacks will be fine
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

Press U is getting pressed much more effectively than we are pressing.
Yep, I don't know how they could go so hot and cold in just a few minutes.
BigJack85
Jacks1989 said:

Tough loss last night, it reminded me of the Furman game last year. Really like how we played in the first half after we got down big. We looked great on both sides of the ball. Aggressive defense which was causing turnovers which was getting us some easy buckets. Hopefully this is a good sign of what this team can do once they put it all together. Love how both Christmas and Southwick are playing. If Southwick can stay healthy he can be really good. Stone looks like a nice pickup also. Really like his size. Not sure what's going on with Jalil. He looks like he trimmed down from last year and is a lot faster on the court, just not being productive. Also, we need AJ to get going. He played great last year and is a special player. He just hasn't hit his groove yet.

Need to cut down on the fouls and stop turning the ball over. Have to put this behind us. The Jacks will be fine

100% accurate.
No-look
Did Frank get a tooth knocked out last night? Sure looked like it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Speaking of fouls, the streaming announcers kept saying over and over that Keller is fine with his players fouling. To me, that's a ridiculous statement. Players can be aggressive and not make a lot of fouls.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Some guys on here are saying that Southwick played well. I disagree. He missed 3 or 4 point blank shots from 3 feet. And IMO he shouldn't be the one firing up treys, especially at the end of the game.

And BTW, we have the best 3-point shooter in the WAC. Why wasn't there more effort to get him open in the 2nd half and OT?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.