SFA / Sam Houston (2)

7,993 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does Nana even travel to Utah?
MasterAxe
nacluth said:

I'd assume he sits.

I kinda sneaky liked how Jahlil and Robbie played.
nacluth
Not doubt they played big in the second. But this was a dogfight. Nothing technical was going on and they provide 0 offense right now.
MasterAxe
nacluth said:

Not doubt they played big in the second. But this was a dogfight. Nothing technical was going on and they provide 0 offense right now.
Nana scored 0 points on 0-3 FG and 0-2 FT.

All of our big men are offensive liabilities. I just really like the attitude Jahlil/Robbie play with.

They're dawgs.
PurpleOut
Staff
Those 2 free points from Kellers technical would have been nice to have had back.

Gotta give our kids a lot of credit for putting in the effort. For whatever reason, we seemingly always start slow and have the look of just going through motions. Once we step it up and put in the effort, we can play with anyone. Tonight we just couldn't make any shots. Sam of course had a lot to do with that, but the missed FT's, so many wide open missed threes from Jossell and others, countless missed opportunities at the basket...again, nobody to blame by ourselves.

But, again, without Hall. Without Nana in the second half...we gave it all we could. Just a rough season.
TallTexan
We need a Gavin like dude at the 5 for next season. It's a must.
nacluth
We've pretty much locked up the 6th seed for WACVegas and it's not a lock yet, but it looks like we'll probably have a first round matchup with Utah Tech.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

Has to be a recruiting priority.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Those 2 free points from Kellers technical would have been nice to have had back.

Gotta give our kids a lot of credit for putting in the effort. For whatever reason, we seemingly always start slow and have the look of just going through motions. Once we step it up and put in the effort, we can play with anyone. Tonight we just couldn't make any shots. Sam of course had a lot to do with that, but the missed FT's, so many wide open missed threes from Jossell and others, countless missed opportunities at the basket...again, nobody to blame by ourselves.

But, again, without Hall. Without Nana in the second half...we gave it all we could. Just a rough season.

Just about sums it up. Tough season. Guys played with a lot of heart.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
nacluth said:

We've pretty much locked up the 6th seed for WACVegas and it's not a lock yet, but it looks like we'll probably have a first round matchup with Utah Tech.
Last I checked they were absolutely putting a whoopin on Seattle.
Jacks1989
That was a dog fight. If we hit our free throws we win the game. Really liked how Jalil and Robbie played.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Glad to see some credit given to the way the team played tonight. Yes we missed too many FTs and 3s but they seemed to be giving all they had tonight knowing
Ljacks&Longnecks
Who we were missing and then Nana getting knocked out
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Glad to see some credit given to the way the team played tonight. Yes we missed too many FTs and 3s but they seemed to be giving all they had tonight knowing
Ya I'm proud of them for taking it all the way to the wire.

This team has talent. Injuries and some bad breaks have kept it from hitting it's full potential.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I was proud of their effort, just disappointing that no shots were falling.
Many of us- including myself-had mostly written off the rest of the season minus Day Day. Now likely minus Nana the rest of the season looks bleak but the rest of the guys fought it out tonight
PurpleOut
Staff
Remember when we came into the game ranked 3rd nationally in 3PT%?

Tonight we were 3-22 (13.6%). Add in 12 missed FTs (66.7%) and there's your game.

Bearkats shot 34.9% on the road and still managed to win.
PurpleOut
Staff
Southern Utah AND Seattle both lost tonight. What a missed opportunity. But…that's how this season has gone.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Remember when we came into the game ranked 3rd nationally in 3PT%?

Tonight we were 3-22 (13.6%). Add in 12 missed FTs (66.7%) and there's your game.

Bearkats shot 34.9% on the road and still managed to win.

An absolute bummer.
No-look
The effort was there tonight. Guys played hard. We had our chances but just work out for us.
No-look
Any word on Nana?
No-look
MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

Right. We need a couple bigs that can defend and score. I like our team, all we need is more muscle and scoring in the front court.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Sort of off topic, but...

I thought the work of the A/V production people was very good tonight. The best I've seen all season. I don't know if there was a different person in the booth directing camera shots and angles or if everyone learned by watching the pros from ESPN do their thing during the Cal Baptist game the other day, or what... Anyway, I hope the improvements continue into the future.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

Right. We need a couple bigs that can defend and score. I like our team, all we need is more muscle and scoring in the front court.

Yes! When it was announced that SFA was headed to the WAC two years ago several of us said that for SFA to compete in the WAC we'd need to get bigger and stronger. It was true then and is still true now.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

No. They spent the night in Houston and get on a plane this morning.
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

Jacks1989 said:

Looks like a pretty decent crowd tonight.
just guessing about 4K
Very good guess … 4,189.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Sort of off topic, but...

I thought the work of the A/V production people was very good tonight. The best I've seen all season. I don't know if there was a different person in the booth directing camera shots and angles or if everyone learned by watching the pros from ESPN do their thing during the Cal Baptist game the other day, or what... Anyway, I hope the improvements continue into the future.

Agreed. Got some replays, had better angles. Much better.
nacluth
SFAJack_76 said:

Anyone else have the audio die halfway through video?
jboy93
Just wanted to say that I again got asked to "sit down" last night during the second half mind you! I about lost my shiznick!!! The Sam folks didn't sit down the entire night. I DO NOT understand SFA fans. I have been asked this many times over the years sadly. I just don't understand?!??
PurpleOut
Staff
jboy93 said:

Just wanted to say that I again got asked to "sit down" last night during the second half mind you! I about lost my shiznick!!! The Sam folks didn't sit down the entire night. I DO NOT understand SFA fans. I have been asked this many times over the years sadly. I just don't understand?!??
While our fans showed up last night, by watching/listening on tv...I thought we got embarrassed by the 20-30 or so Sam fans behind their bench. Until maybe the last few minutes of regulation.

I'm not sure what has happened to our fan base. But we've always been a majority crowd that just sits on their hands and are just there for themselves. We see the mass exits at the last media timeout every night. No matter who we play or what the game means to the team.
jboy93
PurpleOut said:

jboy93 said:

While our fans showed up last night, by watching/listening on tv...I thought we got embarrassed by the 20-30 or so Sam fans behind their bench. Until maybe the last few minutes of regulation.

I'm not sure what has happened to our fan base. But we've always been a majority crowd that just sits on their hands and are just there for themselves. We see the mass exits at the last media timeout every night. No matter who we play or what the game means to the team.
It is totally baffling to me! We have been good in basketball for years and still nothing. We had to come back and tie the game before people actually were getting a little loud. Keller at one point turned around and was begging the crown to get into the game. I think by now we have to realize that this is what we are going to get. Mild interest from both the town and the students. I lived for the games back when I was a student and still do at 54 when I can make a few games a year. Oh well...as always GO JACKS!
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76 said:

There was something about this that bothered me so I went back and watched it again. Zero mention of Day Day or Nana being hurt other that it hurt to lose our front line. I would expect some note of concern about Nana. Nothing. Perhaps it was in the part edited out. Wonder what that was?

Not as big a deal for me, but the comment about staying in "some cheapo hotel " struck me as odd. Also about injuries "half the people are happy and the other half don't care."

Don't say all of this was the emotion of the moment. That's not what leaders do.

TallTexan
Trying to figure out what the context for half the people was.

The team? the fanbase? Hard to tell.
PurpleOut
Staff
Just coachspeak, the teams/coaches/fans we're playing don't care about our injuries and don't feel sorry for us and what we've gone through this season. They want to beat us just the same.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.