SFA / Sam Houston (2)

7,754 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFAJack_76
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut said:

jboy93 said:

Just wanted to say that I again got asked to "sit down" last night during the second half mind you! I about lost my shiznick!!! The Sam folks didn't sit down the entire night. I DO NOT understand SFA fans. I have been asked this many times over the years sadly. I just don't understand?!??
While our fans showed up last night, by watching/listening on tv...I thought we got embarrassed by the 20-30 or so Sam fans behind their bench. Until maybe the last few minutes of regulation.

I'm not sure what has happened to our fan base. But we've always been a majority crowd that just sits on their hands and are just there for themselves. We see the mass exits at the last media timeout every night. No matter who we play or what the game means to the team.
. From watching the game in person last night I thought the fans were good overall. Good student section and they were having fun. Love it when the Crowds are big.
djsfw57
SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Day Day has been playing all season with a shoulder issue. The injury that he now has happened in practice this week. Same shoulder, different issue.
. It's unreal how many injuries we have had this year.
Indeed, this year is extreme, but it's not unusual for us to have several. I wonder why?
We seem to have a recurring problem with conditioning. I don't really know why or have an answer, I just know it feels like we have issues with injuries every year.
No-look
Other teams have injuries but not like us. GCU lost their point guard at first of year but almost every team we play has a full squad. It's a mystery
SFAJack_76
djsfw57 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Day Day has been playing all season with a shoulder issue. The injury that he now has happened in practice this week. Same shoulder, different issue.
Indeed, this year is extreme, but it's not unusual for us to have several. I wonder why?
We seem to have a recurring problem with conditioning. I don't really know why or have an answer, I just know it feels like we have issues with injuries every year.
I certainly don't know, but broken bones and dislocations aren't due to conditioning, are they?
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

PurpleOut said:

jboy93 said:

Just wanted to say that I again got asked to "sit down" last night during the second half mind you! I about lost my shiznick!!! The Sam folks didn't sit down the entire night. I DO NOT understand SFA fans. I have been asked this many times over the years sadly. I just don't understand?!??
While our fans showed up last night, by watching/listening on tv...I thought we got embarrassed by the 20-30 or so Sam fans behind their bench. Until maybe the last few minutes of regulation.

I'm not sure what has happened to our fan base. But we've always been a majority crowd that just sits on their hands and are just there for themselves. We see the mass exits at the last media timeout every night. No matter who we play or what the game means to the team.
. From watching the game in person last night I thought the fans were good overall. Good student section and they were having fun. Love it when the Crowds are big.
The students on both ends were more engaged than I have seen in a very long time, including pre-pandemic.
djsfw57
jboy93 said:

I cannot sit during a basketball game. I've tried for a over 60 years. Not gonna happen. People who go to sporting events should expect people to be standing. It's just what we do!
djsfw57
SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I certainly don't know, but broken bones and dislocations aren't due to conditioning, are they?
That's a very good question. I don't know either.
BigJack85
No-look said:

PurpleOut said:

jboy93 said:

I wasn't at the game, but I have made 3 in person this year. The crowds do seem to be improving. Not at pre-pandemic levels but better. I remember when last nights crowd would have been weak. 4200, isn't bad though. Better than anything ACU or Sam put forward this year.

I think Keller can plug in some players for departing Hawkins and Ware If he does , we have a promising core for next season.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Ljacks&Longnecks
Have to agree with PurpleOut's definition of the half are happy, half don't know comment. I too believe he is referring to our opponents and their fanbase about the condition of our team. Although I would think it's about 80-90% of opponents don't know the status of our roster. I don't find that comment bothersome.

The cheapo hotel thing was odd. The slumped back in the chair, away from mic looked like how many of us felt at games end. Definitely could have given a better "look" to the presser.

Would have liked to have heard a word on Nana or the phrase "Concussion protocol". Maybe the "press" should have asked?
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

No-look said:

PurpleOut said:

jboy93 said:

I wasn't at the game, but I have made 3 in person this year. The crowds do seem to be improving. Not at pre-pandemic levels but better. I remember when last nights crowd would have been weak. 4200, isn't bad though. Better than anything ACU or Sam put forward this year.

I think Keller can plug in some players for departing Hawkins and Ware If he does , we have a promising core for next season.
Hawkins, Ware, Posey, and the unfilled scholarship. And, others?
Ljacks&Longnecks
jboy93, sorry to hear that about sit down. I suspect some old retired folks who only sit and watch. Shame to have to hear that form our own "fans" when we should be focused on the same side of battling for a win on the court.
Don't expect that to change..
Ljacks&Longnecks
Hawkins and Ware are big losses. Posey too AND now the fear of the transfer portal. I'm afraid we are well short of just some plugins, we are going to need some serious recruiting and watching the portal.

Also, again, if staff does not get out and find a true Big for next season, we will face many of the same issues of height and rebounding that we have had this year and our ceiling for success will be very limited. We are in need of a huge year in recruiting to maintain or improve our position in the WAC....IMO
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Hawkins and Ware are big losses. Posey too AND now the fear of the transfer portal. I'm afraid we are well short of just some plugins, we are going to need some serious recruiting and watching the portal.

Also, again, if staff does not get out and find a true Big for next season, we will face many of the same issues of height and rebounding that we have had this year and our ceiling for success will be very limited. We are in need of a huge year in recruiting to maintain or improve our position in the WAC....IMO

I'm pretty confident that Keller can do it. Of the course the portal is a challenge. If we keep Cajuste, Jossell, Beaubrun, Nana, then we have a start. The two Juco recruits should help.

Hard to say what will happen If we don't lose anyone in the portal, I would be optimistic.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

We need a Gavin like dude at the 5 for next season. It's a must.
Has to be a recruiting priority.
Right. We need a couple bigs that can defend and score. I like our team, all we need is more muscle and scoring in the front court.
Has Keller recruited a successful, quality big, not named Kensmil, that completed his eligibility at SFA? I can't think of one.
No-look
I'm optimistically cautious about Southwick. Battled injuries most of his career and hasn't played in last eleven games or so with Snow College. Anyone know if he's injured?
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

Right. We need a couple bigs that can defend and score. I like our team, all we need is more muscle and scoring in the front court.
Has Keller recruited a successful, quality big, not named Kensmil, that completed his eligibility at SFA? I can't think of one.

Wouldn't Calvin have finished his eligibility here if not for the Covid year?
Kat1990
Its been great 80 years of rivalry.
You guys have Tarleton and ACU to build rivalries with.
The purple trio!
I am not sure how UTEP and LA Tech are going to work for us.
nacluth
I don't like the sound of this.

SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

Wouldn't Calvin have finished his eligibility here if not for the Covid year?
Freshman in 2019-20. Played here three years. Went to UTEP with two to play, if he takes his Covid year.

He's started all 29 games, averaging 9 points and 6 rebounds per game.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
Is this the first time we've ever released a statement about a player injury?
nacluth
Yep. Not good.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Wow, very concerning. Hoping for a positive outcome.
No-look
Praying that he's ok.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Is this the first time we've ever released a statement about a player injury?

I don't recall another one. I'm glad we did. Lots of concern about Nana.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.