Ladyjacks vs UTRGV

3,279 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by djsfw57
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
djsfw57 said:

SpeakingTruth said:

He has played basketball at a higher level than you think and played for good teams too. But he's also the first black broadcaster that SFA has had..
I'm confused about this post. What does race have to do with any of this?

Literally nothing.

Also, nothing to do with thread, which is for the LADYJACKS.
SpeakingTruth
You know players go back home and watch the games right? You know players parents know DT and love the way he calls a game? I care about DT but I don't think he gives a damn if a non athlete likes the way he calls games. He does it for the players and parents and true basketball knowledge guys. He doesn't call it for a person who stays in nacogdoches and treats it as if SFA is a top 10 team in the country. He loves calling SFA games but I don't like the fact that y'all always have something to say about him because he isn't what y'all are used too
SpeakingTruth
There has never been a black broadcaster to call an SFA game. Much less a person like DT who actually enjoys it because of the love the players and their parents show him. Race comes in when every other person to get on the mic is white and has never dribbled a ball in their life.
SpeakingTruth
Also idk Chase like that but I've heard DT speak over him before, Lol he called me one night and was tearing his own self up for doing so. But a bunch of Nac natives only watching SFA games won't stop his altitude
SpeakingTruth
Everything you just said proves my point. You watch small school basketball. Turn on an NBA game or listen to the color commentary on an ESPNU gameā€¦ turn on a TNT game and you tell me how the color commentary is. Don't continue to watch FCS basketball then compare like it's the cream of the crop. He has talked about this since he came to school and I highly doubt he's going to get any advice from people who never dribbled a basketball or been on TV
SpeakingTruth
Oh and btw you still think this is DT which is funny because y'all would rather believe it's him than just accepting that it's not . He's a big dog but I'm his older cousin. He showed me some stuff y'all were saying once and that's when he made the account for me but started replying. I went to Rice on a full athletic scholarship and graduated top 8% while playing football all 4 years there . NONE of y'all in this chat can say anything about athletes because you never were. Always have been a "fan". DT does this because I can tell he's tired of white voices controlling the narratives of a team of impactful black players.
SpeakingTruth
Because you aren't the one affected , so you sit back in your privilege and cast judgement.
SpeakingTruth
You ever played sports ? Were you the top 3 on any team in a sport? Or did you watch from the bench or sidelines in HS too?
SpeakingTruth
If he gave a damn about You all's opinion I'm sure he'd be here commenting but he's faded away because players and parents love what he does and how he does it. It's no longer a white voice controlling the narratives. It's a fellow athlete who can relate to them better than a casual Nac native who sits @ home and only watches SFA basketball
SpeakingTruth
Race comes in when all y'all hear is white commentary, white color commentary, white sideline reporters, white neighbors, white friends that you talk to daily. You turn on the SFA game which is the only games that y'all seem to watch and hear a black man talking.
Pilotgirl
Again, start another thread for Announcers. This is for WBB game discussion.
nacluth
Ok, I've cleaned up a few of the posts.

Just a reminder that personal attacks are not allowed on the forum (and yes, the moderators are the ones that decide when it passes from constructive conversation to something more). Also, I'll grant that probably most of the conversation about the SFA commentators feels very personal to them.

The Sawmill is a fan site that offers up opinions about the sports program including broadcasting and operations. These are just fan opinions and we have always encouraged people in the SFA program (especially student athletes and family) to not use the site because critiques can hurt feelings even if not their intention.

Personally, as apparently opposed to others here, I've always enjoyed our broadcasting crews, but typically I enjoy anyone talking SFA. I personally think the PardonMeAlex podcast is a terrible podcast, but I still listen time to time because they talk SFA. DT (and now the podcasters) should definitely keep doing their jobs and not listen to the critics.

The users of this site should always remember that SFA is a small community and that they do talk about real people with real feelings. While we allow "fan talk" which can be passionate and critical, please try to remember that it always helps to have some kindness behind your "constructive criticism."
SFA Jack Fanatic
SpeakingTruth said:

I advise you to maybe watch NBA games or other big time college basketball games and let me know how much they talkā€¦.. he's not there to talk every other possession.. but I'd just advise watching a game outside of SFA and actually paying attention to those color commentators who have to be unbiased

You seem to be venting much of your wrath on me for some reason. So, here's my reaction to your 20+ posts. Yes, I watch D-1 men's and women's ("big time", as you refer to it) basketball EVERY DAY on regular TV and ESPN+, and not just SFA BB. I'm a college hoops junkie. (But I don't watch NBA games at all. That's a subject for another time.) I was a high school BB official for 23 years, was our chapter's President for 7 years, and officiated well over 1,000 games, the majority at the 5-A (now 6-A) level in the Greater Houston area. So I know just a little bit about the game. I know good and bad announcing and commentary when I see and hear it, just like I know good and bad officiating when I see it. And I don't give a great big d*** what color the guy's or gal's skin color is. It's what comes out of his/her mouth or how he/she officiates a game that matters. The SFA color guy does an adequate job, and that's what he brings to the table... adequacy to hold that position. That's not a bad thing. A color announcer should be there to add "flavor" to the broadcast, tidbits about players, the atmosphere, the officiating, the rules of the game -- things that the primary announcer doesn't or shouldn't have to. He should make the game more enjoyable to watch, not to be a second primary announcer.

And BTW, like Pilotgirl said, this thread is for Ladyjacks posts. Create another thread if you want to continue this discussion.
PurpleOut
Staff
SpeakingTruth said:

Race comes in when all y'all hear is white commentary, white color commentary, white sideline reporters, white neighbors, white friends that you talk to daily. You turn on the SFA game which is the only games that y'all seem to watch and hear a black man talking.
This will be the last post on this thread.

SpeakingTruth, we as moderators can see behind the account. Everyone saw your first post when you said "what is my issue, how can I improve?" There's no need to pretend you are someone else, just makes it look worse. And to be honest most forums will ban you immediately for that.

We try to keep this place as open as possible. Everyone is welcome, all opinions are welcome and almost all comments are welcome. What will NOT be welcomed is racism.

How do you know what the skin color is of everyone posting? Coming here and assuming everyone is a white Nacogdoches resident AND calling everyone racist is the worst thing I've seen here since I've started this place back in 2008 or whatever.

You don't know anyone here. You don't know where anyone here came from. How do you know somewhere wasn't an athlete? How do you know I don't have a broadcasting degree now living in a major city and haven't been to more college athletic events than "you" and DT combined? You don't.

My favorite TV crew the last few years was the Chicago State crew. A commentator by the name of Chris Rouse. Feel free to look him up if you'd like.

There's only one person here making racial accusations and assumptions. You have a chance to apologize for the way you are acting and what you are saying, or you can go ahead and leave. I am locking this thread, feel free to open your own if you'd like to contribute to the forum.
djsfw57
SpeakingTruth said:

There has never been a black broadcaster to call an SFA game. Much less a person like DT who actually enjoys it because of the love the players and their parents show him. Race comes in when every other person to get on the mic is white and has never dribbled a ball in their life.
This is not an explanation for why you brought race into this. No one else had done that. Race is totally uninvolved in this situation. I don't know how to make that any more clear. No one gives a damn what his race is. THAT IS NOT THE POINT. Stop trying to make trouble where there is none.
djsfw57
SpeakingTruth said:

For the record, there are multiple black and biracial people in my family. Your assumption that we only talk to white people and that we are racist is infuriating. Stop this bull*****
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.