SFA / Grand Canyon (2)

3,876 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFA88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

What the heck Nigel? The fouls are ridiculous.
How dumb do you have to be?
nacluth
Matt, are you there?
nacluth
70-64 GCU at final media. Jacks are having trouble getting traction. Armbrester is probably not ready in his first game back to be in in the late minutes.
nacluth
5 point game with 2:14 left.
TallTexan
The non goal tend to goal tend to tech for hanging on the rim was ridiculous for a close game.
nacluth
Still 5 points with 78 seconds left. Difference is Harrison's two bank threes.
nacluth
Why do we always burn clock when we are down with no time? Attack.
nacluth
After Jossell shoots three with 17 seconds a 4 point game.
nacluth
It's out on Cajuste. But give us the call.
MasterAxe
Y'all are missing the point.

Doesn't matter lost another conference road game.

What matters is that the basketball social media team will make more FIRE content this week.
nacluth
The ugly 2 minutes of fouls between 12 and 10 minutes left changed the game. I'm going to chalk it up to home court advantage. We won at home in a close one. They got theirs.
SFA88
TallTexan said:

The non goal tend to goal tend to tech for hanging on the rim was ridiculous for a close game.
It was correct. If he hadn't got the rebound while still hanging on the basket, it would have been fine.
MasterAxe
nacluth said:

Still 5 points with 78 seconds left. Difference is Harrison's two bank threes.
He did not score a ton (8 points) but Ivan Drago made a difference.

He's a physical specimen.
nacluth
Cajuste last second heave is a bad beat for those who bet GCU. We covered.
MasterAxe
Good teams win.

Great teams cover.
purpleballs
Outcome wasn't what we wanted but I think we played a hell of a lot harder than we did against New Mexico State.
RedRiverLa
Well, this isn't turning out well down the stretch.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
nacluth
Not winning too many when the other team makes half their shots. Some crazy free throw numbers.

nacluth
A three point game when GCU made three technical free throws.
SFA88
How weird was it when the refs gave the foul on the three (Cajuste?) to their point guard (2) instead of Harrison? It worked out in our favor because the guy fouled out.
TallTexan
Really wanted that win after Sam got clocked at home by a bad team.
SFA88
nacluth said:

A three point game when GCU made three technical free throws.
There were some definite brain dead moments? Lack of composure?. The worst being that shove by Nigel well out of bounds and 2 feet from the ref. Ugh.
nacluth
So far the team with the worse conference record has won every game today. If ACU beats CBU it will be a perfect 6 for 6. Crazy league.
nacluth
nacluth said:

So far the team with the worse conference record has won every game today. If ACU beats CBU it will be a perfect 6 for 6. Crazy league.
ACU cleaning up this game. Teams that haven't done well in WAC play beat the ones who have.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Matt, are you there?

That was me behind the bench.

Honestly thought we played pretty well. 80+ on the road and didn't really turn the ball over.

GCU just played a little better, and got a little lucky. I don't think they're a very good team, but have several really good players (Harrison/McMillian) that can each drop 30 any night. They don't both do it very often.

Harrison banked in two desperation threes, and it doesn't look like it was mentioned much, but the officiating was terrible (some went both ways). You can find my tweet on the Armbrester tech, but that was not a correct call. The worst part is how unprofessional the crew was in my opinion. Hearing the way they talked to Keller and the guys was pretty sad.

Lastly, the atmosphere was great. It's pretty orchestrated so it's not the same crowd we've seen at Duke, Kansas, etc. but it's fun and the students are into it. I walked around campus, despite getting hounded by security as a visitor on apparently a closed campus, it's like a resort. Basically like going to a really nice place in Mexico. As soon as you leave campus it's ugly and you might be in danger. But definitely jealous of everything they've got on campus. I'll add some pics/videos when I get back.
RichieVan
It's easy to put it on the refs, but they had a bad night. A coach just wants consistency, either consistently good or consistently bad and, for this game, the refs were neither. Every time McMillan and Harrison dribbled the ball, they extended their off arm as an arm guard, which is legal, but then extended and pushed to gain separation when they drove to the rim. The definition of a charge/block changed drastically as the Jacks were called for a block but, two possessions later, the Jacks were called for a charge on the exact same type of play. The Jacks then applied ball pressure near the half court line and McMillan dribbled the ball ON the half court line and the ref just stood and watched. If Armbrester's block at the rim is a foul because he came through and hit the arm of the shooter, then how is that different than when Knox blocked Ware's three point attempt at the end of the shot clock and came through and hit Ware's hand, which the replay clearly showed? There were definitely some head scratching fouls on the Lopes that I said "we'll take it!" as well. I could go on, especially the body contact when the Jacks attacked the rim, but I know it's just howling into the wind.
BigJack85
A couple of minor errors ended up costing us. As good as Nigel had played , that push was a misstep. The 3 **** tech was a joke. Charmin soft. I think we are gelling. Should make some noise.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

nacluth said:

Matt, are you there?

That was me behind the bench.

Honestly thought we played pretty well. 80+ on the road and didn't really turn the ball over.

GCU just played a little better, and got a little lucky. I don't think they're a very good team, but have several really good players (Harrison/McMillian) that can each drop 30 any night. They don't both do it very often.

Harrison banked in two desperation threes, and it doesn't look like it was mentioned much, but the officiating was terrible (some went both ways). You can find my tweet on the Armbrester tech, but that was not a correct call. The worst part is how unprofessional the crew was in my opinion. Hearing the way they talked to Keller and the guys was pretty sad.

Lastly, the atmosphere was great. It's pretty orchestrated so it's not the same crowd we've seen at Duke, Kansas, etc. but it's fun and the students are into it. I walked around campus, despite getting hounded by security as a visitor on apparently a closed campus, it's like a resort. Basically like going to a really nice place in Mexico. As soon as you leave campus it's ugly and you might be in danger. But definitely jealous of everything they've got on campus. I'll add some pics/videos when I get back.

I agree that the Jacks played pretty well. That type of effort is going to win most games. I also agree that the home court advantage, especially with the big, boisterous crowd, was pivotal to GCU's win. Every SFA student should be forced to sit down and watch a clip of the crowd at this game and be told "This is how college students are supposed to support their athletic teams!"
Jacks1989
Did not get to watch the game. Looking at the box score showed that Jalil only played 3 minutes. Any reason why? Hurt again?
nacluth
Well if we would have won yesterday, we would have been one win from a bye at Vegas. With the loss, we are now probably four games (with our current schedule) away from having a shot if we win those four. We may not realistically have a shot at the bye, but I could see it all coming down to the last game at Utah Valley.

Also, if anyone has followed any conference tournament anywhere, the chances of winning a NCAA bid without getting the bye are about 5%. It's almost a guarantee that someone seeded 1-4 will win WACVegas. We have to get to the 4th spot.
SFAJack_76
Jacks1989 said:

Did not get to watch the game. Looking at the box score showed that Jalil only played 3 minutes. Any reason why? Hurt again?
My opinion is that he hasn't done anything to merit playing time.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Jacks1989 said:

I still believe Jalil has upside. Didn't make an impact against GCU, but part of that was Keller's rotation. Jalil can become an impact player for SFA , it might take another year.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Jacks1989 said:

I still believe Jalil has upside. Didn't make an impact against GCU, but part of that was Keller's rotation. Jalil can become an impact player for SFA , it might take another year.

I want you to be right. He's a junior, so the clock is ticking. (I assume he has a Covid year.)
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Jacks1989 said:

I want you to be right. He's a junior, so the clock is ticking. (I assume he has a Covid year.)

We've all seen flashes of what it looks like to have big man that can impact the game. He's had stretches of solid offensive and defensive play. Jalil can't seem to stretch those impact moments to impact minutes.
PurpleOut
Staff
Here's the video of the Havocs that I had posted.

Again the overall experience is pretty manufactured, but that doesn't make it any less legit. Everything seemed planned and organized. Which is a good thing. The students know exactly what is going to happen, and when it's going to happen. From the pregame party, to the timeouts. It had the feel of a professionally run event.

Our in game experience has definitely improved, but it's night and day to what GCU does.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.