SFA / Jackson State

4,123 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (7-5) vs. Jackson State (1-11)

WHEN: 12/22 (THU) 2:00P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

The Lumberjacks are closing out their non-conference schedule Thursday afternoon at home against the Jackson State Tigers. This will not be a Primetime game as he has left for Colorado, so come out for the matinee with all your family in for the holidays.

The Jacks are looking for just a little spark heading into WAC play which starts in one week. The nonconference slate has been very up and down mainly due to lack of depth. The Furman game touched a nerve as the Jacks would like to be running a 4 game streak into this game, but instead find themselves building momentum again.

The Tigers have no illusions about their slate of money games that they have been playing. Out of twelve possibilities, they have one win - albeit over SMU in Dallas. They have played 4 ranked opponents, but records can be deceiving. They were beating #17 Mississippi State with less than 8 to go, and yesterday were leading #9 Alabama early in the second half.

Jackson State doesn't really have a team leader. They are trying (however successfully) to play team ball. They will sometimes play 12 men with fairly equal distribution of minutes. Sometimes it will be as few as 9, but always they are rotating their lineups. They have a fair amount of height, and while they are not a good shooting team they can get streaky from outside. What they do well is turnover the ball a lot which should help the Jacks.

Keller has pretty much said that there's not going to be any returners this year. Roti is probably sitting this game and possibly longer. Robbie is starting to come back but he's questionable for now. Tezeno is on limited time.

The Lumberjacks need this seemingly meaningless afternoon Christmas Break game against a blah SWAC team as much as about any game of the year. It's a game of pride. It's a game of purpose. Everyone knows the WAC is stacked with tough games. We have to win the games we should win, and we've already let too many go. This needs to be an authoritative W to help everyone celebrate Christmas.

Come out tomorrow and Axe 'em!

No-look
Get the W!
BigJack85
Axe 'Em Jacks!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
KenPom: SFA 174, Jackson St. 302

We're favored by 12. Currently this is our first Q4 game since the Alcorn St. game which we were favored by 11.
No-look
need to go into conference play on a solid win.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

KenPom: SFA 174, Jackson St. 302

We're favored by 12. Currently this is our first Q4 game since the Alcorn St. game which we were favored by 11.

This game scares me. Jackson State is better than their record, and we're playing with a hospital ward roster right now. Our outside shooters had better be on or it could be ugly. I just don't trust Nana and his brick hands with our inside game.
nacluth
Agreed. That's why I included the blurb about Alcorn.
TalkingSports
Going to try a few different things to make the audio better today. Still may not be perfect but hopefully, the commercials won't be as loud when we go to break. If there as an issue with the audio please let me know as soon as y'all can. Thanks!
Jacks1989
Let's Go Jacks
nacluth
Derrick playing.
nacluth
Tigers starting with a pretty aggressive man to man D.
nacluth
Double technical on Latrell for early chirping. Keller yelling at the ref "Did you touch my player?"
nacluth
Latrell sitting with two early. It's been an ugly 4 minutes.
nacluth
Robbie in for the first time in forever.
SFA Jack Fanatic
What an ugly game so far.
Jacks1989
Looks like nine players. Glad to see Robbie
nacluth
Just 8 so far. Hayman, Tezeno, and Hayman the subs today.
nacluth
Robbie is in all the right places but no touch. Keller said he hasn't been practicing.

Jackson State playing much more physical than we are.
wahlwesle
I know everybody already knows this, but AJ is a baller. Best addition to the team this season by far.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Poor ball movement by the Jacks. They're not getting their outside shooters open.
nacluth
Nana has been the bright spot in the game. Playing as hard as anyone.
TalkingSports
Has the audio been okay so far?
PurpleOut
Staff
*TV note, back to the extra loud commercials.
SFA Jack Fanatic
JSU is giving us the lane in order to prevent our best outside shooters from getting open looks. We're not taking advantage of that.
wahlwesle
PurpleOut said:

*TV note, back to the extra loud commercials.
Agreed. Same for me.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TalkingSports said:

Have the volume turned up to 100% during the game. Lower it to 40 during commercials.
nacluth
How either coach hasn't been T'd up yet is beyond me.
nacluth
36-29 SFA at half. Somehow the Jacks only got called for 5 fouls. This has been one ugly physical game, but it's nice to see the Jacks on top.
TalkingSports
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TalkingSports said:

Have the volume turned up to 100% during the game. Lower it to 40 during commercials.
So from what I have been told is that all of the commercials today have been controlled by ESPN, so we have no control over that audio, unfortunately. From what you guys are saying, we still sound very quiet to you guys. Is that correct?

What is confusing for us is that we turn on the ESPN+ stream and the audio sounds just fine. So I am just wondering what could the issue be from streaming on a phone where the audio is fine vs. watching it on TV where the audio volume is so far off.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

How either coach hasn't been T'd up yet is beyond me.
Definitely seems like they are coming at this rate. Just an ugly game all around on both sides of the court.
wahlwesle
TalkingSports said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TalkingSports said:

So from what I have been told is that all of the commercials today have been controlled by ESPN, so we have no control over that audio, unfortunately. From what you guys are saying, we still sound very quiet to you guys. Is that correct?
yes.
TallTexan
TalkingSports said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TalkingSports said:

I'm not listening to this particular game, but this has been a common phenomenon on Jack's broadcasts this year. Super loud commercials and quieter announcing.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

TalkingSports said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TalkingSports said:

I'm not listening to this particular game, but this has been a common phenomenon on Jack's broadcasts this year. Super loud commercials and quieter announcing.
This. It's not just a basketball thing, it's all sports. And has been happening since...I guess we started the ESPN+ deal.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

TalkingSports said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TalkingSports said:

This. It's not just a basketball thing, it's all sports. And has been happening since...I guess we started the ESPN+ deal.
Raising Cane's commercials imprinted on my brain bc of the volume and frequency.
nacluth
For sure in the coliseum, the amount of yelling directed specifically at the refs has been intense. Right now the odds for who gets ejected first is 1) JSU coach, 2) Chaunsea, 3) Keller.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.