CBI First Round - SFA (#4) / UNC - Asheville (#13)

6,144 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFA88
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's a grind. I get it totally. Just a little disappointed. Keller always puts good squads out there. It seems like every OTHER year his guys are legit. This year we proved it a couple of times. NMSU, GCU Sam (at home) ACU (in conference). Other than that we only the regular season cap off (UTRGV) did we look like we had true momentum. Just surprised we didn't show today.
nacluth
Jossell finally hits a three in almost meaningless time.
nacluth
Make it two, but got to get a stop.
nacluth
Posey's done.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

Dear Tulsa,

Are you sure?
Are you trying to pin this one on Keller? No way. This one is 100% on the players.
nacluth
Jacks have no hurry-up offense.
nacluth
That's the season. Answered the question whether we were going to compete or take a vacation.

Let's hit the beach!
MasterAxe
BigJack85 said:

It's a grind. I get it totally. Just a little disappointed. Keller always puts good squads out there. It seems like every OTHER year his guys are legit. This year we proved it a couple of times. NMSU, GCU Sam (at home) ACU (in conference). Other than that we only the regular season cap off (UTRGV) did we look like we had true momentum. Just surprised we didn't show today.
I'm not so sure it's that surprising.

We had a no-show performance against ACU in a tournament that matters, then there was speculation (real or not) about the coach leaving and we're playing in a 4th tier tournament that no one can watch.

Disappointed? Yes.
Surprised? Nope.
MasterAxe
For all the folks that are hell bent to Keller to stay, having a **** performance against ACU then a **** performance in a 4th tier tournament should pretty much mean no one will hire him.
RedRiverLa
Whimper, whimper, splat. But a lot of good memories with these seniors. Surprised and happy we got a WAC regular season championship.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
MasterAxe
RedRiverLa said:

Whimper, whimper, splat. But a lot of good memories with these seniors. Surprised and happy we got a WAC regular season championship.
It was a terribly disastrous end to a generally good season.
SFAJack_76
Sometimes change is good for everyone involved.
No-look
Good season. Won a share of the WAC.
BigJack85
RedRiverLa said:

That about sums it up for me. We had our moments this year for sure. Seemed like we just ran out of gas after the regular season. If Keller stays with us (I hope he does) one or two good portal grabs , like a power forward could change this team into a legit contender in the WAC.
MasterAxe
No-look said:

Good season. Won a share of the
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

For all the folks that are hell bent to Keller to stay, having a **** performance against ACU then a **** performance in a 4th tier tournament should pretty much mean no one will hire him.

This is why you're not an AD. Or maybe you're the UIW AD. Who can say.
nacluth
10 straight to win the WAC was impressive. Last two games really not good.
No-look
Something noticeable about the WAC, we have to be bigger and have better overall shooters. Hopefully recruiting will reflect that.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

RedRiverLa said:

That about sums it up for me. We had our moments this year for sure. Seemed like we just ran out of gas after the regular season. If Keller stays with us (I hope he does) one or two good portal grabs , like a power forward could change this team into a legit contender in the WAC.

Yep not the ending you want, but still not a bad season on the whole.

Time to hit the recruiting trail with our all new practice facility. Never been able to recruit with that before.
No-look
MasterAxe said:

No-look said:

doesn't NMS have another year?
TallTexan
No-look said:

Something noticeable about the WAC, we have to be bigger and have better overall shooters. Hopefully recruiting will reflect that.

Especially the shooters. Think Latrell and JJP will get there, but hard to rely on freshmen every night.

As juniors? The WAC is gonna hate those dudes.
MasterAxe
No-look said:

MasterAxe said:

No-look said:

doesn't NMS have another year?
I totally got that wrong and I tried to edit the post I screwed it all up lol.
nacluth
I believe we only drop Chicago State next year. Sam, NMSU the year after that.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Just for fun, I looked at UNC-A's schedule and results for the year. True, they lost 14 games on the year, but 11 of those losses were by 8 points or less, with 6 of those losses by 3 points or less or in OT. They are a much better team that their overall records would indicate.
PurpleOut
Staff
Waste to go out there and play if we were in it. Didn't look like we cared. There's no reason a team with this much talent can't beat a below average UNC Asheville team.

Oh well, disappointing end to an overall season. We'll see what happens over the next few months.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Ya. Just perplexing. That stretch of 10 wins was probably #8 in my book of "Greatest Lumberjack Achievements of the past 20 years"
MasterAxe
BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

Ya. Just perplexing. That stretch of 10 wins was probably #8 in my book of "Greatest Lumberjack Achievements of the past 20 years"
I need this top 10, asap
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Time to hit the recruiting trail with our all new practice facility. Never been able to recruit with that before.

Yep. Fire up that Naymola jet and hit the trail, and bring those recruits back in our direction.
BigJack85
No-look said:

Good season. Won a share of the WAC.

That's worth a lot to me. Good foundation. First year in the WAC. If someone had given me 22-9 wac co champs before the season, 90% I would have taken it. Losing Roti Ware was huge. I think we lost 2 winnable games that we lost Sure every team has to deal with injuries, just that RW was a pretty huge one.
sfa17
it was a good season. even if we had gotten past ACU , We still probably would have lost to New Mexico State. They showed they belonged in tournament. Not to sure we would have gotten the win over Uconn. Next year we have to do our best to score a top 2 seed. 3 games in 3 day in vegas is not gonna cut it.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Hope in the future when SFA doesn't make the Dance or NIT that the powers that be will think 2 or3 times about entering a 4th tier tourney like this one that no one can watch unless they subscribe to a 4th tier service and that the players generally seemed disinterested in being there.(maybe coaches too). Just no value to this kind of tourney OR to put any Athletic Dept budget towards it.
As much as we hear about needing revenue why would we spend it on an event that virtually no one has heard of or cares about.....and even if no tourney fee charged to school I'm sure SFA still spent some money on the event. Even if you win the CBI event I can't imagine that nets you any fame or $$ or recognition except to the absolute faithful...like this board.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Coming back to win 10 in a row and capture a share of the conference title in our first WAC season is a very strong accomplishment. Hard to find any fault in that especially considering Roti. Think it took the team 3-4 games to try and refigure and reboot after that loss and they did. Those that want to fault Keller will do so regardless.

I would say that the move from SLC to WAC will have an impact on who our coaching staff (whoever it might be) needs to go after on the recruiting trail. What helped dominate in the SLC may not be all the horses we need in the WAC.
SFA88
PurpleOut said:

Waste to go out there and play if we were in it. Didn't look like we cared. There's no reason a team with this much talent can't beat a below average UNC Asheville team.

Oh well, disappointing end to an overall season. We'll see what happens over the next few months.

Huge caveat, I don't get a chance to watch SFA so take it with a grain of salt. The effort here and in the WAC tournament is most disappointing to me. In the WAC tournament, the team looked like they had been up all night playing the slots. I didn't see any energy or fight in the team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.