WAC Men's Quarterfinals: ACU (#6) / SFA (#3)

9,332 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigJack85
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
David and Gavin are two great ballers. I don't know if either makes the All-time SFA first team. Maybe Gavin. But I've enjoyed a lot of their games. I wish they had played multiple years with Kevon instead of just that one.

Have to say that I like where we're set up for next year starting off: Ware, Solomon, Posey, Jossell, Hall, Tezeno. A decent starting 6. Nana, Daniels, the new AJ kid. We're going to need two good bigs and a letter of recommendation for Aku.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

I think David had 3 charges on him. All three were suspect. Each time he avoided the guy who slid in late with his body and had a trailing leg hit. I hate glancing blow calls.
It's why playing ACU is so frustrating. They play great defense and have extreme energy no doubt. But they play to always be in front as a defender and try to take the charge at any possible contact. One of the reason why they lead the nation in forced turnovers...a charge is a turnover.

We had a few calls go our way too, but this is what ACU lives on:

MasterAxe
nacluth said:

David and Gavin are two great ballers. I don't know if either makes the All-time SFA first team. Maybe Gavin. But I've enjoyed a lot of their games. I wish they had played multiple years with Kevon instead of just that one.

Have to say that I like where we're set up for next year starting off: Ware, Solomon, Posey, Jossell, Hall, Tezeno. A decent starting 6. Nana, Daniels, the new AJ kid. We're going to need two good bigs and a letter of recommendation for Aku.

PG - Marcus Clark
SF - Thomas Walkup
SG - Josh Alexander
PG - Jacob Parker
C - Matt Kingsley

(20 year All SFA Team)

So…no lol
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Obviously, replacing Kensmil has to be priority #1. #2 should be getting a decent backup for #1. Charlie Daniels in my opinion was better than Nana and Aku combined.

Don't forget we have AJ Cajuste coming in, who is regarded as one of if not the best JUCO PG. As well as already having Vanderbilt transfer Peyton Daniels on campus. We will be loaded at the guard position.

But again the priority has to be the big men. We saw this year what happens when Kensmil and/or Solomon have to sit in foul trouble. It wasn't pretty.
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

PurpleOut said:

Why didn't Derrick play almost the entire 2nd half?

Great question.

Keller went full panic mode with the rotations and basically went Mr. Coach Klein from The Waterboy.
We will get more of Derrick next season. My big concern with next year's squad is that we don't have a mobile big man like Kensmil. Kensmil is going to be hard to replace. Really hard to replace.

Looks like we are loaded at the 1, 2, 3 and maybe 3.5 (LOL). We have some work to do, to get those slots productive. Nana and Aku are works in progress.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

You nailed it. Our challenge is filling spots at the 4 slot (Gavin).
RedRiverLa
Felt like we just expended all our energy and emotion on that amazing run to the WAC regular season championship. Even the coaching looked tired last night. A huge disappointment to not really ever be in the game last night. I'm left with the unexpected 'wait, you mean that's it?' feeling. Let's hope the Ladyjacks can make us feel a little better.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
PurpleOut
Staff
In "Things You Don't Do In Sports 101," the Alumni Association sent me a box last week that I didn't really open. I did this morning and it was for our watch party. Location TBD after the selection show on Sunday.

SFA88
PurpleOut said:

I don't know if ACU is the better team, but tonight they definitely were. We finished at 36% which won't win many games against anyone.

I'm most disappointed in our lack of energy. In a game where we knew 100% what the opponent was going to give us. All game, but mostly at the end with 5+ minutes which is plenty of time to change the momentum of a 13 point game. The entire bench and all the coaches just sat there like it was over.

They looked flat for most of the game. They started with energy but once the ACU defense clamped down, they looked confused as if they had never seen it before. I hate playing coach but I'm going to anyway. It almost looked like Keller didn't believe he had the guys with the ball handling skills to get it done.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Nana and Aku are works in progress.
When I played baseball in high school my Dad would say that we had a "fence post in right field". (No, he wasn't talking about me.) Aku is nothing more than a fence post. A good student perhaps, but not a basketball player. It pains me to say something negative about ANY SFA athlete, but he is a waste of a scholarship. There is no way he will contribute anything positive next year, just like he contributed nothing positive this year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
If they play the way they did against us, I can definitely see ACU beating Seattle, as long as they have enough energy left in their legs. But beating NMSU or GCU? I can't see that happening after already playing three games in three days.
No-look
This morning "after the sun came up" thoughts... Not what we wanted but a good year. Share of the title and some good wins. I think the game turned on some questionable foul calls but give ACU the credit they deserve. Every aspect of their game was working. Hope they win a couple more.
BigJack85
If we don't lose someone "key" in the transfer portal, we should have ample resources for everything but the 4 slot. Hoping Keller finds a gem or two.
SFA88
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

If they play the way they did against us, I can definitely see ACU beating Seattle, as long as they have enough energy left in their legs. But beating NMSU or GCU? I can't see that happening after already playing three games in three days.

To me, this looks like NMSU tournament. I don't think GCU is good enough to beat them. GCU lost a couple of good big men last year and now they rely too much on the 3. Their current big men will play defense and grab rebounds (especially the big Irishman) but they are a 0 scoring threat. Drew has done a good coaching job to get them here but NMSU is clearly the better team.

Tournaments can be weird, though,.
No-look
But the better team doesn't always win. Lol. I'm cheering for ACU the rest of the way
PurpleOut
Staff
Agreed, I'm pulling for ACU. I think it is NMSU's to lose as well, but again all you need is a night like we had and anyone can beat anyone.

Last night we out rebounded ACU (11-4 on offensive boards), won the FT contest (bonus in itself) and had the same amount of fouls, and still forced 15 turnovers.

Yeah ACU had the higher energy, but how many looks did we miss at the rim? How many wide open threes did we miss? We shot 35% for the game and that's what did it. You won't win many games when you shoot poorly, you definitely won't when you're getting out hustled as well.

We were able to win in Abilene while committing 26 turnovers. We also shot 51% that game and ACU shot 37%.

Sometimes you just miss.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Agreed, I'm pulling for ACU. I think it is NMSU's to lose as well, but again all you need is a night like we had and anyone can beat anyone.

Last night we out rebounded ACU (11-4 on offensive boards), won the FT contest (bonus in itself) and had the same amount of fouls, and still forced 15 turnovers.

Yeah ACU had the higher energy, but how many looks did we miss at the rim? How many wide open threes did we miss? We shot 35% for the game and that's what did it. You won't win many games when you shoot poorly, you definitely won't when you're getting out hustled as well.

We were able to win in Abilene while committing 26 turnovers. We also shot 51% that game and ACU shot 37%.

Sometimes you just miss.
About sums it up. And beating anyone 3 times in a row is incredibly tough, at any level of sports. Especially a team with a defensive system like SFA/ACU.

(Side note, it really pissed me off last night when those morons announcing the game acted like ACU invented this style of play).

I'm pulling for Seattle. That could be a win/win/win. I really want anyone but NMSU to win though.
ACUCattitude
Wildcat fans have nothing but respect for the Lumberjacks. And we are grateful for what Brett Tanner learned during his time at SFA. Our series is just going to get better and better, I think.

Seattle has the best guard tandem in the WAC so tonight will be a challenge. Thanks for your support and Go Jacks.
RedRiverLa
Hey, just thought of a positive. Won't need BP medicine during the WAC Championship game!
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFASawmillGuy
Some next day thoughts. I think our guys just fell victim to a trap game that shouldn't have been a trap game. They were riding 10 straight, 10 really good games and were likely already looking ahead to Seattle and NMSU. You'd hate to think a team this experienced and this good would overlook anyone in the tournament but it sure looked like it.

I agree we didn't play terribly until ACU went on that run to end the half. Then it seemed like we opened the second half in panic mode instead of just playing our game. Good on ACU, they played their asses off and got it done. Our guys played probably their second worst conference game of the year on one of the biggest stages in the conference.
BigJack85
What kind of recruit prospects do we have for a true "Power Forward"?
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Within a week or 2 there will be around dozens of them in the portal.

I'd especially keep an eye on Georgia, UTEP, Kennesaw St, Charlotte, Jacksonville, & Southern Miss rosters bc of our current or former coach connections in those areas.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

Within a week or 2 there will be around dozens of them in the portal.

I'd especially keep an eye on Georgia, UTEP, Kennesaw St, Charlotte, Jacksonville, & Southern Miss rosters bc of our current or former coach connections in those areas.

If we can get an solid replacement at power forward , we have ALL of the other components. AJ at PG , Roti/JJP at 2 Guard , Nigel/Derrick at the 3. Calvin Big 3 then ????? at PF.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.