SFA / New Mexico State

8,944 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shooting % is the difference today....we don't have any
TallTexan
All 0 in that first half. He couldn't miss.

Still isn't missing much.
TallTexan
I wasn't expecting David to take a step back this year.

He moves laterally without actually doing anything way too much.
jboy93
Sam up by 3 under two.
nacluth
9 points final media. NMST still shooting over 50% from three.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Our best three point shooter is 0-7. Is that a bad thing?
nacluth
No energy right now. Crowd has it but team is flat.
nacluth
David done.
TallTexan
Gavin doesn't have it tonight.

Put Nana in.

The lower classmen want this win. The upper classmen not named Calvin? Not so much
TallTexan
nacluth said:

David done.

David needs to come off the bench. Let somebody else start.
purpleballs
So you're claiming the seniors don't want the win?
nacluth
Freshmen played good. Derrick in.
Ljacks&Longnecks
NMSU 14 for 25 with 3 pointers we have hit maybe 4.

Not faulting our effort today. Thought we played hard but shooting was not good and NMSU did hit their shots.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Announcer was NOT Merrill the pa's son. Different guy today, agree not too good
jboy93
We just never know what we are gonna get! Onward and upward…GO JACKS!
jboy93
Prison tech wins by 2.
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

NMSU 14 for 25 with 3 pointers we have hit maybe 4.

Not faulting our effort today. Thought we played hard but shooting was not good and NMSU did hit their shots.

I thought we played with good, solid effort, especially the underclassmen.
djsfw57
There is no excuse for repeatedly leaving shooters wide open when you KNOW they have been hitting 3 pointers the entire game. I just don't get that strategy.
SFA, Class of 1979
Ljacks&Longnecks
Don't really agree Texan that seniors didn't want it. Gavin appeared to play hard inside but has to take something out of you when you are always double teamed and beat on.
TallTexan
purpleballs said:

They weren't playing like it. Everyone else on the court was playing 110%.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Problem is now we have to go to Seattle and Cal Baptist. Can not afford to drop 2 on the road.
TalkingSports
TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

jboy93 said:

MasterAxe said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

This kid on the broadcast almost makes the game unbearable to watch. Feels weird to watch the game on mute, but I can't listen to him any longer.

Yeah, he's a bit much. I think he's over speaking.

I've done some play-by-play before and the best advice I got was the three C's: clear, concise, correct.
Please volunteer your time.

I'd never volunteer to take someone's job. Kid sounds nervous, which is completely natural. Just needs some coaching and more air time.

The only way to get better is to keep doing it.

Different announcers than past games?

I didn't think they were that bad before.
It is a different broadcaster than before. I am the ESPN+ broadcaster that usually does the play-by-play along with DT and I am out for today's game. This is my first year calling basketball on TV and I am far from perfect but I try to learn every game. We thank y'all for understanding that it does take time to get used to being on air. I should be back for the next game and any and all feedback is appreciated.
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Problem is now we have to go to Seattle and Cal Baptist. Can not afford to drop 2 on the road.

Going 3 for 3 was a big ask this week.

And I know we can beat those guys in Vegas.
MasterAxe
TalkingSports said:

TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

jboy93 said:

MasterAxe said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

This kid on the broadcast almost makes the game unbearable to watch. Feels weird to watch the game on mute, but I can't listen to him any longer.

I've done some play-by-play before and the best advice I got was the three C's: clear, concise, correct.

I'd never volunteer to take someone's job. Kid sounds nervous, which is completely natural. Just needs some coaching and more air time.

It is a different broadcaster than before. I am the ESPN+ broadcaster that usually does the play-by-play along with DT and I am out for today's game. This is my first year calling basketball on TV and I am far from perfect but I try to learn every game. We thank y'all for understanding that it does take time to get used to being on air. I should be back for the next game and any and all feedback is appreciated.

I think you're doing a great job, especially for year one. It gets better the more and more you do it.

Keep up the great work.
wahlwesle
I thought we played hard and pretty good overall. It's just that our 3 ball was going nowhere and NMSU couldn't miss. Nobody would ever bet that Jossell would only go 1-8.

One bright spot was Hall. He finally figured out he can dribble when he has the ball at the top of the key. When they shut down Kensmil, somebody has to pick up the slack down low and Hall did it today.
No-look
They shot lights out and we didn't. Happens. Loved our effort. Threes won the game for them. A couple unguarded but they just hit everything. If Allen is off they will struggle
nacluth
No-look said:

They shot lights out and we didn't. Happens. Loved our effort. Threes won the game for them. A couple unguarded but they just hit everything. If Allen is off they will struggle
Pretty much this. They finished with 50% threes. We shot 23%.

We shot waayyy better in the paint, but some days you live by the three. We stole the ball 12 times, turned them over 17. Defense was pretty decent despite the final score.

We had to split these games to stay in touch with the conference leaders and we did that. Time to go get some road wins.
nacluth
One stat that's not showing up is their length. It really disrupted our passing lanes and kept us from shooting shots. It caused us a lot of trouble. We did good not turning it over, but couldn't really capitalize with good timing.
jboy93
MasterAxe said:

TalkingSports said:

TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

jboy93 said:

MasterAxe said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

I think you're doing a great job, especially for year one. It gets better the more and more you do it.

Keep up the great work.
It's the whole production that is the concern to me. Announcing and play by play will come. How can we not have anything produced for time outs or halftime? No commercials etc. How is ACU that much better? Just questions that need to be answered as we try to take the next step both on the court and off! As always, GO JACKS!
nacluth
Oh Gordon.

SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

purpleballs said:

They weren't playing like it. Everyone else on the court was playing 110%.
I disagree.
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

It's the whole production that is the concern to me. Announcing and play by play will come. How can we not have anything produced for time outs or halftime? No commercials etc. How is ACU that much better? Just questions that need to be answered as we try to take the next step both on the court and off! As always, GO JACKS!
True. It was only slightly above a high school production level today. The young man doing the play-by-play announcing was really bad. And BTW, just a little thing, but any experienced announcer (or just any average sports fan) worth his salt would NEVER give the trailing team's score first. He did that at least twice. Again, just a little thing, but it irks the heck out of me when I hear that.
nacluth
David and Gavin were very frustrated with the foul calls. I thought David's three and then forced turnover to start the half was going to snap him out of it, but he never found his rhythm. Gavin just finally lost it in the second half. I don't think it was lack of effort, but they both got down on themselves.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I would remind folks that this was our 4th game in 8 days. In the presser Keller mentioned this and that the guys were really tired. Also mentioned Jossell hurt his left wrist Thursday and that it was heavily taped. That said he did give the credit due to NMSU for being a really good team and they did what they needed to get the win.
SFAJack_76
To suggest that David and Gavin don't put out the effort to win is absurd. Kensmil had to go up against a rotation of bigs. We simply don't have a functional sub for him. That's about recruiting. Not Gavin's effort.

The better team won. They are bigger, longer, and deeper. Put Hawkins and Ware in the starting five, and we have a chance. Allen is a 35% three point shooter on the season. He was 0-4 against Sam. Today he goes 7-10, some from NBA range, and many with a hand in his face.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.