SFA / New Mexico State

8,941 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
purpleballs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's ridiculous
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

To suggest that David and Gavin don't put out the effort to win is absurd. Kensmil had to go up against a rotation of bigs. We simply don't have a functional sub for him. That's about recruiting. Not Gavin's effort.

The better team won. They are bigger, longer, and deeper. Put Hawkins and Ware in the starting five, and we have a chance. Allen is a 35% three point shooter on the season. He was 0-4 against Sam. Today he goes 7-10, some from NBA range, and many with a hand in his face.
David hasn't been himself since the long Christmas break and tonight was no different. I wonder if he got sick and just still hasn't fully recoverd.

Idk if it was exhaustion or something else but multiple times tonight I watched Gavin stand flat footed on rebounds and not even move as they bounced past him. That is unusual to say the least. It's against his very style of play from the past 3 years. And if you're not able to even attempt rebounds, any of the other bigs would have been better to atleast give him a significantly long breather.

I'm not doubting how good those guys are when they're 100% dialed in. But tonight they weren't. It sucks. The underclassmen really had a fire under them. The seniors didn't. It happens.

Rest and come back ready for Seattle is all they can do.
sfajack05
Just got home.

Shoutout to the PurpleOut for setting up the alumni event.

This team is frustrating to watch. Only hope is they get hot come tournament time and make a run. The team didn't look energetic minus Hall and Solomon (IMO) and I'm sure the schedule hasn't helped. NMSU couldn't miss from three.
sfajack05
jboy93 said:

MasterAxe said:

TalkingSports said:

TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

jboy93 said:

MasterAxe said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

This kid on the broadcast almost makes the game unbearable to watch. Feels weird to watch the game on mute, but I can't listen to him any longer.

Yeah, he's a bit much. I think he's over speaking.

I've done some play-by-play before and the best advice I got was the three C's: clear, concise, correct.
Please volunteer your time.

I'd never volunteer to take someone's job. Kid sounds nervous, which is completely natural. Just needs some coaching and more air time.

The only way to get better is to keep doing it.

Different announcers than past games?

I didn't think they were that bad before.
It is a different broadcaster than before. I am the ESPN+ broadcaster that usually does the play-by-play along with DT and I am out for today's game. This is my first year calling basketball on TV and I am far from perfect but I try to learn every game. We thank y'all for understanding that it does take time to get used to being on air. I should be back for the next game and any and all feedback is appreciated.

I think you're doing a great job, especially for year one. It gets better the more and more you do it.

Keep up the great work.
It's the whole production that is the concern to me. Announcing and play by play will come. How can we not have anything produced for time outs or halftime? No commercials etc. How is ACU that much better? Just questions that need to be answered as we try to take the next step both on the court and off! As always, GO JACKS!

Our mass comm and Radio/TV departments are missing a big opportunity. They really need to team up with athletics and run it. I believe ACU uses a lot of their students for their productions.

Over heard Ivey say they scramble for people and don't have anyone consistently. This is a perfect opportunity to give students real works experience and academics is dropping the ball.
TallTexan
Definitely a shout out to Matt and Dustin and everyone who helped put that on. Should be yearly and hopefully the students learned some things bc yall were loud as heck.
TallTexan
sfajack05 said:

jboy93 said:

MasterAxe said:

TalkingSports said:

TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

jboy93 said:

MasterAxe said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

This kid on the broadcast almost makes the game unbearable to watch. Feels weird to watch the game on mute, but I can't listen to him any longer.

I've done some play-by-play before and the best advice I got was the three C's: clear, concise, correct.

I'd never volunteer to take someone's job. Kid sounds nervous, which is completely natural. Just needs some coaching and more air time.

It is a different broadcaster than before. I am the ESPN+ broadcaster that usually does the play-by-play along with DT and I am out for today's game. This is my first year calling basketball on TV and I am far from perfect but I try to learn every game. We thank y'all for understanding that it does take time to get used to being on air. I should be back for the next game and any and all feedback is appreciated.

I think you're doing a great job, especially for year one. It gets better the more and more you do it.

Keep up the great work.
It's the whole production that is the concern to me. Announcing and play by play will come. How can we not have anything produced for time outs or halftime? No commercials etc. How is ACU that much better? Just questions that need to be answered as we try to take the next step both on the court and off! As always, GO JACKS!

Our mass comm and Radio/TV departments are missing a big opportunity. They really need to team up with athletics and run it. I believe ACU uses a lot of their students for their productions.

Over heard Ivey say they scramble for people and don't have anyone consistently. This is a perfect opportunity to give students real works experience and academics is dropping the ball.
Probably a 2 way street. We need to build a partnership between the Athletic Dept & Radio/TV Depts. That's real world experience those kids won't be able to get anywhere else. They could do some fantastic work together.
Pilotgirl
sfajack05 said:

jboy93 said:

MasterAxe said:

TalkingSports said:

TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

jboy93 said:

MasterAxe said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

Keep up the great work.

I can address this as these were both of V's majors in undergrad. The 2 departments, believe it or not, do not jive with one another. When radio & TV BEGGED to help out, they said NO (athletic dept). They let them call baseball was all. V can share more.
Pilotgirl
4 games in 8 days is ROUGH. But, for me, it's the inconsistencies. You never know what team is gonna show up, IMO. Still trying to figure out who the leader(s) are of the team...I think there has definitely been some sickness (We are still in a pandemic!). Everyone I know that has had C19 reports fatigue for a loooooong time after. Flu is making its way around, too. Whatever might be up, I hope they feel better & healthy soon....this goes for WBB team, too!
jboy93
Just curious but doesn't espn have anything to say about the telecast? It seems with their name attached someone would be stepping into say we need to step up our game.
SFASawmillGuy
The frustrating thing for me is this was supposed to be THE SFA team to break through, and at times we look that good. But other times we look like we would lose to a D2 school. This team isn't just inconsistent, we're literally hitting both ends of the spectrum.
This late in the season idk what can be done to fix that. I'm confident we can win any game. I'm also confident we can lose any game. That shouldn't be the case.
SFASawmillGuy
I changed my username to match my Twitter name, not a new member.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

sfajack05 said:

jboy93 said:

MasterAxe said:

TalkingSports said:

TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

jboy93 said:

MasterAxe said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

Keep up the great work.

I can address this as these were both of V's majors in undergrad. The 2 departments, believe it or not, do not jive with one another. When radio & TV BEGGED to help out, they said NO (athletic dept). They let them call baseball was all. V can share more.
I will buy the dinner if Ivey wants to curry favor with the deans to propose a partnership.
No-look
Another opportunity to knock off another unbeaten in conference play at Seattle.
BigJack85
My hopes and concerns about this season/team were all confirmed n this outing. Lots of heart and grit but the inconsistent shooting is mind boggling.

Against GCU we seemed to make literally "every" key shot while maintaining defensive intensity. The defensive intensity was close to Thursday's intensity, but the offense was never cohesive. The lack of a consistent perimeter shooting threat prevented us from gaming momentum. Kensmil kept us in the game early. Eventually you have to make some shots

Add to that , NMSU was on fire. On fire. Our on ball pressure was good. Not good enough.
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy said:

The frustrating thing for me is this was supposed to be THE SFA team to break through, and at times we look that good. But other times we look like we would lose to a D2 school. This team isn't just inconsistent, we're literally hitting both ends of the spectrum.
This late in the season idk what can be done to fix that. I'm confident we can win any game. I'm also confident we can lose any game. That shouldn't be the case.
I've got confidence in this team. There are parts that are really starting to click and they've got fight.

Ideally, we would have played Lamar a different week but I'm guessing we didn't have a say in that.

We're obviously still working on lineups. Who'd have figured we'd see Diego become a contributor 2 weeks ago? We've got a guy out sick every other game it seems.

This team is gonna peak in late Feb/March. Our tuneup games from December got quashed plus nearly 3 weeks off. And I still think it is the most talented team in the conference.
ChrisKeith12
TallTexan said:

purpleballs said:

So you're claiming the seniors don't want the win?

They weren't playing like it. Everyone else on the court was playing 110%.

You really think that these Seniors - that got screwed by Covid 2 years ago after beating Duke, and then faced a postseason ban because o the academic charges… and still decided to come back instead of transferring, aren't giving 110% to make the NCAA tournament? Really?? You want David Kachelries to come off the bench, who are you starting in front of him? None of you see the behind the scenes of what is really going on. Support the team, get attendance back to how it was when we played SWAGU back in the day, and let's win the conference tourney in Vegas. We're all on the same team, no need to put down the guys that have made this program what it is
SFAJack_76
ChrisKeith12 said:

TallTexan said:

purpleballs said:

You really think that these Seniors - that got screwed by Covid 2 years ago after beating Duke, and then faced a postseason ban because o the academic charges… and still decided to come back instead of transferring, aren't giving 110% to make the NCAA tournament? Really?? You want David Kachelries to come off the bench, who are you starting in front of him? None of you see the behind the scenes of what is really going on. Support the team, get attendance back to how it was when we played SWAGU back in the day, and let's win the conference tourney in Vegas. We're all on the same team, no need to put down the guys that have made this program what it is
Spot on.
TallTexan
ChrisKeith12 said:

TallTexan said:

purpleballs said:

Can you read? Nowhere did I say this was a night in and night out issue. This was a one time observation about last night's game and their effort, which was not up to the standards they've set.

Go rewatch the game. Watch Gavin standing flat footed, not even moving for rebounds on a lot of plays where the ball was within his normal range and tell me that's the guy we've watched for 3 years. You're telling me that's Gavin giving 100% like he does every other night?

And yes, something is going on with David. He hasn't been the same since the long Christmas break. His usual court vision is not there, he's not seeing his normal passing or driving lanes. This is me speculating, but I think he got sick and still isn't 100%. That's a perfect reason to give him fewer minutes and let him run at 100% for whatever length of time he can play it.

Not everyone brings it everyday. That's sports, that's work, that's life in general. And that's fine. But last night those two weren't playing like there was a fire under them, but the underclassmen were. Props to the underclassmen. I'm certain David and Gavin will get back to their usual levels.

Also, take a reading comprehension class before you decide to come on here and opine.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Chill out, Texan. We're all in this together. Frustrated? Absolutely! But in it together. Both of you make valid points, so let's keep our little Sawmill forum team cohesive, too.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Chill out, Texan. We're all in this together. Frustrated? Absolutely! But in it together. Both of you make valid points, so let's keep our little Sawmill forum team cohesive, too.
Fine, fine, I'll behave.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Fine, fine, I'll behave.
That's a good boy. Now, fetch the ball. Fetch it, Texan!

(You know I'm just playin' with ya, Texan...)
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

purpleballs said:

I don't know how to read this other than David and Gavin "weren't playing like" they want the win. (I don't know what playing 110% means, but that's a different story.) Did they play their best? No. Keller said that in his post game.

Gavin played 143 minutes across four games in 8 days. Who to sub him with? Aku? Hah. Nana? The guy who was quarantined for five days or more, wasn't available, and is now getting back in playing shape? Perhaps a 90%, plus or minus, Gavin was the best option Keller had.

David is not himself since the break. Might playing without two experienced, senior guards have any effect on David's play? This is a team game. David was challenged to reduce his turnovers, which he has done. Taking fewer chances? Fewer open passes available because he's playing with less experienced guards? Keller talked about slowing the game down due to our lack of depth. Might dribbling side to side be a part of that?

I'm not in the coaches' meetings. I'm not in the locker room. I'm not on the practice floor. I don't know. I have great confidence that David and Gavin have a strong desire to win. When they don't perform their best, it's not because they don't want it.
TallTexan
Gavin was literally watching balls go past him standing completely still.

You can say he wanted it but that he didn't have the legs sure. But at that point putting anyone out there as rebounder would have been an upgrade. The first time I saw it I was like ok. The next several times I knew he didn't have it last night.

We constantly talk on here about players who's head isn't in the game on a night or just doesn't have

Just bc it's David or Gavin doesn't mean we're impugning their character for pointing out that they weren't completely in it for a game. It happens to even the very best players.
No-look
Sports is full of highs and lows. There is no team,player or fan base that's exempt. Just can't stay in the lows. Correct what thats correctable and move on. We need some rest and get Nigel and Nana back in the mix and go beat the league leader Wednesday night and put together a string of wins as the schedule gets somewhat favorable to us.
TallTexan
We need rest big time. Keller should rent a golf cart and shuttle the guys to class. every moment off their legs the better.

Getting Nigel and Nana back would be big.

We might also need a replace Gavin lineup. like running Aku/Nana or Nana/DayDay.

Probably need him at or below 30 minutes a game for peak performance across the season. Might also take advantage of the fact that Nana can shoot from 3 and make their bigs chase him around for 10 minutes a game.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

We need rest big time. Keller should rent a golf cart and shuttle the guys to class. every moment off their legs the better.

Getting Nigel and Nana back would be big.

We might also need a replace Gavin lineup. like running Aku/Nana or Nana/DayDay.

Probably need him at or below 30 minutes a game for peak performance across the season. Might also take advantage of the fact that Nana can shoot from 3 and make their bigs chase him around for 10 minutes a game.

Tall. Respect your opinion Observations are spot on , 90% of the time IMHO. I was right there with the hecklers. Gavin looked to me to be giving 110%. I just don't think he gets the calls he used to get in the SLC. Nana would be a good compliment if he was a little more versatile. Right now Gavin is what we've got to draw some attention inside. We just have to shoot better. We had plenty of good looks If we even shoot 25% from beyond the arc in the first half the tenor of this game is completely different.
BigJack85
Just had time to listen to the Keller press conference. I felt like he is preparing us for 5-6 more losses. At least.
nacluth
I think he's being realistic that winning the season crown is quite difficult, but the team that's playing best at the tournament is going to the NCAA's. It's a wide open conference. Probably 7 different teams could win it if it's their week.

This road trip is going to be hard.
SFASawmillGuy
When we came to the WAC I think realistically everyone should've realized that the years of undefeated conference seasons and just automatically assuming we were winning the conference were gone. The WAC is, even without NMSU and Sam, miles ahead of the SLC in terms of talent. That being said we've had some very, very bad losses. The team at times looks lost, and all season we've struggled with chemistry.

Injuries and fatigue is killing this team right now. Like I said before, I absolutely have faith we can run the table and win any game we play, even come tournament time. But on the flip side I also think this team has so many issues we can lose any game, and no game is gonna be guaranteed. I guess stay tuned.
BigJack85
I'm keenly aware of the issues facing this squad. My expectation was that we be a top 4-5 squad this year. Build to stronger position over the next couple seasons. I still feel that finishing in the top 5 slots is doable.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I'm keenly aware of the issues facing this squad. My expectation was that we be a top 4-5 squad this year. Build to stronger position over the next couple seasons. I still feel that finishing in the top 5 slots is doable.

I think we're going to be top 3.

But we really need to get to Feb and back to normal rest breaks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.