SFA / New Mexico State

8,939 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (12-6, 4-2) vs. New Mexico State (15-3, 4-1)

WHEN: JAN 22 (SAT) 2:00P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

Sometimes in a season something happens that defines the spirit of the team: Parker's last second steal, run, and slam against Northwestern St; Kevon driving the lane against LA Tech for the win; Bain, BAIN!!! Last night, the Jacks had that moment for this season. It may not seem it to the casual observer, but the team had been knocked to the mat in the last two weeks. They got up last night and showed that they aren't done yet.

What happened was 40 minutes of team defense defined by a belief that they are a team. All working together no one is going to get through them. It was exciting to see, and finally there was a decent crowd to feed into the energy. There was a buzzsaw at the Sawmill, and it took down the highest ranked WAC team GCU.

Tomorrow, it doesn't get any easier. New Mexico State has been the kings of the WAC for a decade, and their team this year knows they have the goods to wear the crown again. But, they just got blitzed by Sam by the same 25 points GCU got loaded with. It's the physicality.

One thing noticeable about our Western counterparts is that they don't foul. They're good shooters, but they play a "hands off" almost European or modern NBA style of play that's about finesse. SFA is not that style of team, and GCU has a black eye to prove it. The question is do we have another punch for NMSt.

Everyone knows (or should know) Teddy Allen (F, 6' 6", Jr.) who is probably NBA bound with his 18ppg and 7 rebs. But what you need to know is that the Aggies are tall. 5 of their top 6 scorers are forwards from 6' 6" to 6' 11". But they all shoot the three really well. They test every team with their length.

The Jacks found out that full tough team defense has the ability to give them great success, but the smaller Jacks are going to need to find ways to score while Kensmil works on softening up that stout frontcourt. If we can stay close on rebounds and keep from turning it over, it should be a good Saturday.

It's time to support the Jacks with their biggest Saturday game of the year. Time to lose that voice, to corral your family and friends, to wear yourself out doing the best thing there is in Nac - cheering your Lumberjacks to victory.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
2300 attendance last night. I believe we can definitely add to that tomorrow.
BigJack85
As usual, excellent write up. I will be there tomorrow for tailgating….
BigJack85
Favored by 1. Opening line. Almost the same as GCU. I think this game (again) pivots on the effectiveness of our defensive pressure. Perimeter defense. If we can create a similar degree of confusion we will have a chance.
nacluth
Game Day!!!

TallTexan
I'm stoked. Hope we bring it like Thursday night.
nacluth
Tour was great. My father-in-law who is a photographer took good pics that I'll post later. Here's a random one of the locker room. One thing to notice is that Peyton Daniels has his own number and locker.

No-look
Ok let's get the crowd here
nacluth
Ready to get loud.

nacluth
Decent start. Jacks are going to win down low. Rice with two threes is why it's close in score. Jacks have good energy.
Ljacks&Longnecks
pretty sure I'm hearing some noise from the Heckler/Haze group in the broadcast.
nacluth
Hopefully not too much. It's getting spicy.
MasterAxe
My Lord,

NMSU is huge.
nacluth
They are a three point shooting team and they are hitting them.
MasterAxe
We're getting an early game dose of reality.

Ljacks&Longnecks
Silly foul by David for the turnover. Got to keep your heads on straight...this game going to be very tough.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Reality is NMSU is big, hitting their 3s and after getting embarrassed the other night looking to prove themselves
Ljacks&Longnecks
Solomon 3 blocks and 3 steals so far trying to put this team on his back.
nacluth
Calvin playing great. Just have to weather the storm. It will come back to us. Energy is good. NMSU is looking tired already.
RedRiverLa
Watching on tv, is 35 his age or number for NMST? Also, I dislike the WAC scheduling and game times.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Rev007
Ride on the back of Solomon while he's hot, but please let the guards bring the ball up the court.
MasterAxe
Danger time.
jboy93
RedRiverLa said:

Watching on tv, is 35 his age or number for NMST? Also, I dislike the WAC scheduling and game times.
It's the Unibomber!
TallTexan
NMSU must have practiced their 3s yesterday.
Rev007
Great time for a 3 David!
MasterAxe
1st half Teddy Allen is Thomas Walkup vs WVU.
Rev007
Turn up the a/c in the Aggies' locker room.
nacluth
All their buckets coming from long range. They will miss more.

GCU having a very similar game against Sam.
Rev007
Jossell looks like the best free throw shooter we've had in a long time.
Rev007
Dumb foul in the bonus.
TallTexan
What was that call with 3.5 seconds left?

Thought he called it out of bounds on them.
sfa17
It's could be worst. We are still in the game
MasterAxe
Outscored by 18 from behind the arc.

Lucky to by down just 9.

We can't win a three point shooting win contest.
Rev007
2nd Half Prediction:

Allen and Rice go cold…Lumberjacks win a nail biter.
nacluth
We're about 2 made buckets from being in control. Allen just had a first half like Blacksher did. Here's hoping they are able to shut him down in the second.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.