SFA / Sam Houston State

10,147 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is 41 points the lowest point total we've had in over a decade?
Ljacks&Longnecks
SFA76 had a comment on the Tarleton thread that this season is being defined by one play of the Liberty game.
I realize that injuries are a part of the game and happen to all teams but I tend to agree that losing a 30+ minute man in Roti has left this team in a hole. We seemed to have struggled every game since win or loss.
If a couple of guys don't step up and take charge soon I see us stumbling along the rest of the season.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfajack05 said:

sfa17 said:

meanwhile BU and Illinois remain undefeated in big 10

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Agree. 17 usually makes great contributions on our forums, but that one was unnecessary. (Sorry, 17.)
PurpleOut
Staff
Worth noting that Hawkins basically collapsed during a timeout and never played again. Couldn't really see if he was active on the bench at the end.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Didn't see him on the bench until late 2nd half, sitting in warmups
sfa17
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

sfajack05 said:

sfa17 said:

Agree. 17 usually makes great contributions on our forums, but that one was unnecessary. (Sorry, 17.)
it was a bad take. just frustrating , thats all
PurpleOut
Staff
Also, don't be surprised if we struggle with Lamar next week. They aren't good, but their best three players have been out most of the season and are back now. I fully expect someone like Harrison to drop 30 on us.
sfajack05
sfa17 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

sfajack05 said:

sfa17 said:

it was a bad take. just frustrating , thats all

Sorry for my response.

I get it. We are all frustrated.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Worth noting that Hawkins basically collapsed during a timeout and never played again. Couldn't really see if he was active on the bench at the end.

Collapsed? That does not sound good. Wishing/Hoping/ Praying he's OK.
nacluth
SFA_03 said:

Is 41 points the lowest point total we've had in over a decade?
Sam held us to 40 at home 11 years ago. It was one of the ugliest games I had ever seen. But at least we had the excuse that Kaspar wouldn't let us shoot early in the clock.
BigJack85
I was there. I think Hawkins is ok. We just couldn't make a shot. I don't think I've seen us shoot that bad.
cboothe09
4 games in 8 days (3 on the road) lead to some dead legs. That said, player management and depth are what is needed to get through a stretch like that. Couple of days before we need to kick it up a notch for NMSU and GCU.
Rev007
Everyone has an opinion, and I enjoy reading them even if I disagree. Here's my take on this game:

Normally, I'm not a positive person, but I believe in this team. There was a lot to learn, and I'm guessing a lot of discussion took place in the locker room after the game. The positives as I see them are two: 1) grit and resolve in the second half, and 2) Derrick Tezeno. Those starters that sat on the bench in the second half while watching the reserves retake the lead have to be wondering what their future roles will be. They can sulk and quit, or they can fight harder and give 100%. Either way, Tezeno earned more playing time. The guy has a great physical presence, and he plays pretty good defense.

In the end, I believe we will win the WAC tournament.

nacluth
Rev007 said:

In the end, I believe we will win the WAC tournament
I'm going to steal some of this optimism for myself.
nacluth
Man I don't know if I have ever seen a team that responds worse to technicals. They are almost always game changers against us. Maybe it's because they are usually after stupid fouls, but we have a hard time shaking those off.
purpleballs
Rev007 said:

Everyone has an opinion, and I enjoy reading them even if I disagree. Here's my take on this game:

Normally, I'm not a positive person, but I believe in this team. There was a lot to learn, and I'm guessing a lot of discussion took place in the locker room after the game. The positives as I see them are two: 1) grit and resolve in the second half, and 2) Derrick Tezeno. Those starters that sat on the bench in the second half while watching the reserves retake the lead have to be wondering what their future roles will be. They can sulk and quit, or they can fight harder and give 100%. Either way, Tezeno earned more playing time. The guy has a great physical presence, and he plays pretty good defense.

I think not have a good grasp of playing our style of defense has kept Tezeno off the court up to this point. He definitely earned some more playing time after today.
BigJack85
Tezeno is fabulous. He's a rock star.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Oh wow. Didn't catch that. That doesn't sound good.
TallTexan
Rev007 said:

I'm with you.

I think the biggest key is not to build ourselves too big of a hole in the seeding tbh. This team obviously has the talent. But it all needs to come together. There's no quit, so I'm hopeful.
BigJack85
Tezeno needs to see more time. A lot more time. I think we missed not having Nana on the trip. He could have offered some productive minutes that Aku just didn't accomplish.
No-look
I hope this tweet finds its way to the locker room. Bulletin board material.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

I think we missed not having Nana on the trip. He could have offered some productive minutes that Aku just didn't accomplish.
Aku is the second coming of Jovan, only worse, IMHO.
djsfw57
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

I think we missed not having Nana on the trip. He could have offered some productive minutes that Aku just didn't accomplish.
Aku is the second coming of Jovan, only worse, IMHO.
I'm trying to figure out how he got recruited by A&M. Very puzzling. They must have seen something when he was in high school that they never developed. Or something...
SFA, Class of 1979
PurpleOut
Staff
Appears to have been dehydration for Nigel yesterday.
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

Posted by our former SID btw.
BigJack85
Worth repeating. Tezeno should see more time. The question , for me is what exact role does he play. He looks like a 2/3 guy. Probably more of a 2 slot guy. I think Tezeno combined with Solomon could be a good scenario.

Even though Kensmil didn't have a great game he still attracts a crowd. We have to make some of those outside shots.
RedRiverLa
I don't know if it's been mentioned as a reason, but I think we are seeing what happens without Jeremy Cox on the bench. Game planner, player relationships, game manager - I think we miss him tremendously and that has become evident the further we go in the season

BigJack85
RedRiverLa said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned as a reason, but I think we are seeing what happens without Jeremy Cox on the bench. Game planer, player relationships, game manager - I think we miss him tremendously and that has become evident the further we go in the season

100% correct. 100%. We are also very much Wade Mason. He brings the swagger that we don't seem to have.
Rev007
I am one that admires a disciplined style of play. Coach Kaspar had my respect. Would his style work today? Most likely not. Coach Keller's style of coaching is obviously more player friendly, and it has been a success. However, I'm seeing more lack of discipline from this team, and we saw yesterday how a momentary undisciplined action can affect the outcome of a game. The Jacks had something special working in the second half as they mounted a charge and even had a one point lead after a horrendous first half. I'm going to single out David. He played a terrific defensive game against the point guard of Sam Houston. Then, an untimely technical foul changed everything. The point guard who hadn't scored more than a bucket or two then goes to the foul line, drains two, and regains his confidence. He then hit two three pointers and a slew of free throws to ice the game. A well disciplined team does not make those types of critical errors. It also doesn't have the wrong guys attempting ill advised 3 pointers. These are correctable errors, but I'm seeing too many of them this late in the season. This season in the WAC is going to be tougher than the Southland ever was. We will probably have to win at least 3 games in the WAC tournament which I believe will happen, but the untimely mistakes must stop.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Was thinking about this yesterday, I'm sure missing Cox and Mason from this staff.

To be fair I don't know much about the new assistants, their abilities and what they bring to the table but the Keller/Cox/Mason continuity was strong and carried us well. Hopefully I'll soon feel the same about the new staff.

RedRiverLa
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Was thinking about this yesterday, I'm sure missing Cox and Mason from this staff.

To be fair I don't know much about the new assistants, their abilities and what they bring to the table but the Keller/Cox/Mason continuity was strong and carried us well. Hopefully I'll soon feel the same about the new staff.

Yes, and Mason!
RedRiverLa
and Mason, too - good point.
RedRiverLa
PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

Posted by our former SID btw.
Honestly, that's pretty good - can't fault them for the truth.
Kat1990
Well that was one ugly basketball game!
No one more surprised than many Kat fans that we hung on for the win
Someone mentioned SH is 350 out of 350 in Div 1 Free Throw shooting
If it is close in the end I would just hack a shack us for possessions
nacluth
Yes the decision not to foul was a surprising one. I have your team still listed as 358th out of 358.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.