SFA / Abilene Christian

12,931 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jacks4460
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oh joy, a FT shooting contest
No-look
Will this game ever end?
Ljacks&Longnecks
FT shooting contests don't favor us.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Blown FT's.
MasterAxe
Ugly. Win.

Emphasis, WIN.

Let's Facking Go!
jboy93
I'll take the win, but the last 12 minutes were not good! Their defense was great though!
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

FT shooting contests don't favor us.
I'm gonna run the math soon on how bad we are at Free throws.

I wonder how many wins it's cost us.

It's certainly made a lot of games harder.
SFA Jack Fanatic
EXHALE......
TallTexan
Wasn't a pretty win, but hey, a win.

And if we can play 2 full halfs, we're gonna win a lot of games.

Glad we found a way to win.
nacluth
The game might have been horribly ugly, but a Quad 1 win, undefeated in the WAC and the first road team to win at Teague is beautiful.
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

I'll take the win, but the last 12 minutes was not good! Their defense was great though!
True. ACU's defense was fantastic.
jboy93
ACU does a really great job with their tv coverage...Nigel gets the interview!
MasterAxe
jboy93 said:

Cannot agree more. Great broadcast and a really well done production.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Damn that was an intense 40 minutes.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Nigel has developed tremendously since last year. He's playing with confidence now, something he was missing last year.

And thank goodness we got Jossell from Kansas. That man can shoot the rock!
BigJack85
nacluth said:

The game might have been horribly ugly, but a Quad 1 win, undefeated in the WAC and the first road team to win at Teague is beautiful.

You described it perfectly. It was a beauty. We earned that one. Straight on.
purpleballs
I'm gonna assume we don't have SFAtv? They make our broadcast look sad.
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

jboy93 said:

Cannot agree more. Great broadcast and a really well done production.
And the announcers were not homers either! Very fair.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

EXHALE......
I still can't
RedRiverLa
The first L at Teague courtesy of the Lumberjacks. Good win no matter how the last 12 minutes played out.
RichieVan
So much to like about this game. The help defense was fantastic even though they had a few breakdowns in the second half. Hard to maintain that intensity.
When they weren't turning the ball over, the offensive execution was pretty good after the long layoff. If we can continue to drain open threes, we will be very tough.
What not to like? Obviously, turnovers. Many were just careless and I would chalk it up to rust, but they were turning it over all season. They need to clean it up.
Free throws as well. Can't be 60% every game. I don't think we were lucky to get out with a win since we played exceptionally in other facets.
A win is a win. And a conference win on the road against a top tier team in the conference is even better. I'll take it.
sfa17
on the court in the last couple of years ACU has been a tougher rival than sam. credit to them
MasterAxe
purpleballs said:

I'm gonna assume we don't have SFAtv? They make our broadcast look sad.

Unfortunately, most schools do.
BigJack85
What I really enjoyed seeing was the collective swagger. Not obnoxious. Just confident. Especially on the defensive side.
SFASawmillGuy
Agreed. It's something we've been missing.
nacluth
The win pulled our NET ranking up to 120 our highest of the season. ACU cratered 30 points from 59 to 89 making it a Q2 win for us. SFA has to use this and keep winning. It doesn't really get any easier.
nacluth
It may be decades (or the next time we play ACU) that we turn the ball over 26 times and win. That is a giant number. ACU's offense has struggled against good defense, but I don't think we can hope for a repeat performance again.
jboy93
Will the team stay out in West Texas to get ready for Tarleton? If so, please stay safe guys!!!
jboy93
Also, Jossell and Posey are getting me very excited! I have a feeling they are getting ready to really show OUT! Also shout out to Tezeno, seems to be engaged even though it's from the bench. See the big picture guys!
nacluth
Jossell and Posey are becoming huge contributors. Both in the Kansas game and in this one their performances were critical to the success we had. Sure they both are still making newbie mistakes. Usually it's getting just a tad too physical for Latrell and situational awareness for Jaylin, but those dudes can ball.

I love Hawkins enthusiasm. I don't see much growth as a playmaker, but I'm glad he can catch and shoot. We need them all down the stretch. Props to Nana for staying engaged even though Day went by him on the depth chart. He always seems ready to go.
PurpleOut
Staff
Good team effort last night, balanced scoring and solid defense for 40 minutes.

The turnovers of course are frustrating. We knew we'd have some against the ACU, but it's mind boggling how careless they get with the ball sometime. And the clock management in the 2nd half was just brutal. One thing that I hate in general is when teams with a lead try to waste more time rather than run the offense that had gotten them the lead. I get it...but it seems to always backfire for us.

I'm also still baffled by the calls that Kensmil DOESN'T get when he has the ball down low. You could see the fouls live, but thankfully they had the other cameras and were able to show replays...I just don't know how you call 0 fouls when a man is getting tripled team and hacked under the basket. Fouls are fouls.

I thought most of the calls that were controversial were pretty accurate though. Maybe the first Kensmil charge taken, but the next two were spot on. As well as the foul he drew when Miller tried to take a charge late. There wasn't any need for the double technicals or the long review though.

I'm pretty nervous for Saturday actually, knowing how we sometimes come down from big games to play lackluster. Tarleton won't have an answer for Kensmil, but they have some really talented guards and can score.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

The turnovers of course are frustrating. We knew we'd have some against the ACU, but it's mind boggling how careless they get with the ball sometime. And the clock management in the 2nd half was just brutal. One thing that I hate in general is when teams with a lead try to waste more time rather than run the offense that had gotten them the lead. I get it...but it seems to always backfire for us.
We aren't a good enough team to slow down with a big lead and burn clock without committing stupid mistakes. Several times we ended up rushing ourselves better than their defense did. We helped them close the gap.

Glad we dug deep enough though not to let ACU come back & win. That's growth.
TallTexan
I will say this, I was not in game shape last night. The long layoff wrecked my ability to handle the stress of Lumberjack basketball.
No-look
Where is the locker room celebration?
MasterAxe
It is time to unveil the first ever "MasterAxe Beyond the Boxscore Man of the Match," given specifically to a player for his performance overall and not based on just stats.

This is a completely objective award.

The winner is:

Jaylin Jackson-Posey.

Key Reason...a career high three 3 pointers in just 16 minutes.

Not just that he made three, but that he took 5 (also a career best).

Jossell is clearly the best deep shooter we have, but if JJP or anyone else can help fill the role of a 2nd shooter, that will prove invaluable.

So congrats to Jaylin on receiving the first ever "MasterAxe Beyond the Boxscore Man of the Match!"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.