SFA / Texas A&M - Corpus Christi

14,258 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut said:

Brutal finish, but I'll take it. Especially with Roti out.
I had thought we might have a let down game after two straight tough mental games, so all things considered, I'll take that 9 point win.
jboy93
Who's been showing Calvin how to shoot free throws? Give that man a raise!
No-look
jboy93 said:

Who's been showing Calvin how to shoot free throws? Give that man a raise!
He must have practiced the techniques from posters here on the forum.
wahlwesle
I was listening to the stats after the game, and it sounded good except for their three point shooting. I wish I wouldn't have known our game plan was to make them play from the paint. It just makes it hurt worse.

They only had 10 players in uniform, no head coach, and haven't played in over a week. Even with Roti out, we should've won by 20.
SFAJack_76
Missed Roti. With his typical game, taking minutes from McDaniel, Heckard, and Hawkins, and this is a 15-20 point win.

Cam shot 78.6% on free throws last conference season. His shooting is not a new phenomena.
RedRiverLa
After an extensive analysis of tonight's numbers and game plan, my in depth review has concluded that: basketball isn't predictable, we played on the road against another team trying hard to win, and our 'W' stat goes up 1. I keep my metrics simple.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFA Jack Fanatic
RedRiverLa said:

After an extensive analysis of tonight's numbers and game plan, my in depth review has concluded that: basketball isn't predictable, we played on the road against another team trying hard to win, and our 'W' stat goes up 1. I keep my metrics simple.

BRILLIANT analysis, Red!
No-look
RedRiverLa said:

Ha. We can tough on our entertainment sometimes.
nacluth
I had family stuff tonight and couldn't watch, but it looks like nothing unexpected really happened. Roti's injury doesn't make me happy though.

Tuned in briefly with 8 minutes left, and on the radio it did sound like a library and you could hear everything Coach K said. And Gavin picked up his first foul? I don't know how he made it so deep in the game without fouling, but good for him. Corpus is not a place for stat sheets. It's a place to collect a W and be happy.
djsfw57
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Sfa05 said:

Corpus is a bad team. This SHOULD be a 30 point win. It won't be.
Yep. Bad defense and Corpus uncharacteristically hitting threes. That's a formula for trouble.
Seems like every team hits threes against us. We are terrible at defending threes for some reason. Have been for a long time. Must not be any kind of priority. That will end up killing us.
SFA, Class of 1979
PurpleOut
Staff
djsfw57 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Sfa05 said:

Corpus is a bad team. This SHOULD be a 30 point win. It won't be.
Yep. Bad defense and Corpus uncharacteristically hitting threes. That's a formula for trouble.
Seems like every team hits threes against us. We are terrible at defending threes for some reason. Have been for a long time. Must not be any kind of priority. That will end up killing us.
The priority is we play a pressing man defense and try to force turnovers. That wins us a lot of games, but like anything it won't work 100% of the time, and will leave a man open when we miss a chance at a steal.

When you play traditionally average or poor shooting teams, you take the odds of letting them hit 20+ footers. If they make them, good for them.
SFASawmillGuy
It's also just a result of us playing in a mid major conference.
Mid major schools traditionally lack size and make up for it by shooting more 3s. Similar to the air raid passing game in football gives better passing stats the more you throw it, if you shoot more 3s, statistically speaking you will make more.
Notice when we play high major teams they don't attempt nearly as many 3s and we can generally keep the game close with our press defense? Its because we play against their mentality of trying to drive into the paint, causing us to force more turnovers and keep them from scoring.
Mid majors usually try to drive inside much less due to their lack of size. This makes the press defense we run better against teams with superior size, which makes us dangerous in March, but is detrimental against teams like UCA used to be.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.