SFA / Lamar

12,515 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BigJack85
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (8-2, 4-0) vs. Lamar (3-10, 2-1)

WHEN: JAN 23 (SAT) 4:30P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

Running a five game winning streak, the Lumberjacks are back on the court Saturday afternoon to take on Lamar at home. The Cardinals have been perennial also-rans in the Southland for the last decade, and this season seems no different. Lamar won the lottery this year by somehow getting to be chosen as one of the four teams to leave the Southland and join the WAC next year despite not putting up a decent showing in any major sport outside of Women's Basketball in the last 10 years. I guess cross-country and women's golf go a lot further than we think.

Despite having some tough showings against Lamar early in his career, Keller got the monkey off his back by sweeping both games last season. No players in the Jacks lineup have ever lost to Tic Price's team. Trying to change that are some familiar faces: Avery Sullivan (Sr., 6' 8", F) and Anderson Kopp (So., 6' 6", G) are the two active bigs that have caused issues in the past while Davion Buster (Jr., 5' 10", G) has built a reputation of hitting the big shot from anywhere. Like SFA, they are an outside-in group of players where basket pressure is a priority. They will try to force our front court into foul trouble while hitting shouts from outside when needed.

The only common opponent between the two teams is Louisiana-Monroe where the Cardinals pulled off a last second upset with a buzzer beating Buster three. Otherwise, their schedule has not been very kind to them. They have had to sit 10 days through two postponed games after a 25 point drubbing by Sam Houston. They will be well prepared for Saturday. Price has coached his teams every year to play physical and aggressive - especially against SFA. This year will be no exception.

The Lumberjacks are starting to hit their stride in their game plan. Winning all SLC contests so far by double digits, they now come into a slate of games that determine to be much tougher. Lamar, ACU, and Sam over the next nine days will be the measure of this season. With no postseason for the second straight year, these Jacks have only a few big games left to make their mark. Expect Keller to emphasize what these games mean. Tough play down low with intentional play outside is the game plan for this squad. They have been showing they can do it against inferior opponents. Let's see how they handle the stiffer pressure.

Axe 'em!
BigJack85
As per usual, great write up!
SFAJack_76
I wonder how prepared Lamar will be after shutting down for a week due to a Covid pause.
Rev007
Looking forward to this game as a quasi-test of the spirit of our team. It's understandable that the team would be less than enthusiastic about a season in which there does not exist a post season tournament possibility. I don't consider the recent contest with Northwestern State as a barometer of the State of the Jacks for the rest of the season because honestly, who can get fired up for such a lowly opponent that you could beat while sleep walking?

Lamar is a different opponent. Sure, this is not a great team, but they did beat Louisiana Monroe. Lamar is also going with us in the WAC (Weak $&$ Conference), and we need to let them know we will perennially beat them down each time we meet.

My predictions aren't worth hogwash. So, I won't make one for this game, but I sure would be happy if we sent them back to that disgusting city on the coast with their tales tucked between their legs. Let's pass out security blankets for their ride home.

Jack 4 Life
(Thanks ESPN+)
Rev007
I agree about it being a great write up. Please keep it up!
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA is a 13 point favorite. I'm expecting it to be closer than that.
RedRiverLa
Well done on the write up. So nice to see the home page updated with the latest.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
No-look
I'm gonna have an extra person with me today. I'm assuming I can still buy a ticket upon arrival?
nacluth
No-look said:

I'm gonna have an extra person with me today. I'm assuming I can still buy a ticket upon arrival?
Yep
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

I'm gonna have are.n extra person with me today. I'm assuming I can still buy a ticket upon arrival?

Sure. Lots of empty seats.
nacluth
Biggest "crowd" of the year probably.
nacluth
Great start. Especially that we just mugged a guy a didn't get the call.
Rev007
Wow! I'm stoked! Haven't seen this in ages.
TallTexan
Number 1 is gonna be a problem if he keeps hitting outside shots that effortlessly.
Rev007
Time to play some D.
nacluth
Super fast pace currently. Both teams are pumped right now. We'll see how long this can last.
SFAXE93
Looks like the crowds are picking back up or at least you can start to hear the energy starting to return a bit
TallTexan
Forgot how nice it is to have a true shot blocker on the team.
nacluth
Good "B-team" action. Keller has some fire today. He's jacked up.
TallTexan
I'm not sure they're gonna be able to keep this pace with us. We've rotated everyone and they've got guys like Kopp who haven't left the floor.
Rev007
Nana's going to be the all time shot blocker before he's done.
Rev007
Lamar will wear down at this pace.
nacluth
10 point lead 10:30 left in first.
Rev007
Good start for David...glad to see.
nacluth
Anybody hear why Buster isn't playing?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Considering the pandemic and the weather, not a bad crowd today.
nacluth
Going to give the refs some love. Calling a good game.
Rev007
Getting sloppy, but that's okay because we are tiring them out. We have the deep team that will substitute every 4-5 minutes.
Rev007
Nigel is feeling it!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

Nigel is feeling it!

Do my eyes deceive me? He hit two 3's in a row.
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Rev007 said:

Nigel is feeling it!

Do my eyes deceive me? He hit two 3's in a row.
And at 10 points.
Rev007
Heckard is not quite ready...
Rev007
Do my eyes deceive me, or is Calvin developing an offensive game?
nacluth
12 point lead at half. 49-37. Never let go of double digits after 10 minutes left save a couple of times briefly at 9 points up.
nacluth
And 10-10 at the line has made a huge difference in the game.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.