SFA / Central Arkansas

10,220 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by No-look
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (5-2, 1-0) vs. Central Arkansas (3-8, 2-1)

WHEN: JAN 13 (WED) 6:30P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

The Lumberjacks are looking to get back into the swing of things in the new year. With the hopes that non-conference play is finally behind us, SFA is looking down a slate of tough Southland games. First up is the Bears of Central Arkansas. UCA was all over the place last year after firing their long time head coach midseason, but this year the Bears are trying to prove that they have what it takes to be in the conversation with the top teams in the SLC.

First year head coach Anthony Boone inherited a strong upperclassmen team led by senior guards Rylan Bergersen (6' 6") and Deandre Jones (5' 11"). Between the point guard and shooting guard, they average 28 points a game. Strong guard play has always been a hallmark of UCA's play, but Boone has found some strong forwards to balance the court more this year. Jared Chatham (Sr., 6' 8", F) and Eddy Kayouloud (Jr., 6' 7", F) are their principle scoring bigs. While they are a balanced team that doesn't overwhelm from any one position, they do have an achilles heel - turnovers. They are one of the worst teams in the nation keeping possession of the ball, and if SFA wants to come out with a win, they need to exploit that statistic.

The Jacks and the Bears have two common opponents in McNeese and New Orleans. Both of those games turned out basically the same for the Bears as for the Jacks. Expect this game to be tight. Central Arkansas is prone to fouling, so expect Keller to keep his game plan of pounding the inside in the first half putting UCA in foul trouble. This will allow the Jacks to exploit a more open court in the second. However, the pressure like always is going to be on our guard corps to make sure they do not relax in transition. David, Roti, and Cam are going to need to continue to lead as the seniors they are.

The Wednesday night game might be an easy one to overlook, but in this season every game is important. Come out and support your Jacks!

Axe 'em!
jboy93
We both played Baylor with about the same result. They did have a very strong non conference schedule that they were able to play! 3 SEC schools, St Louis, Memphis, and Baylor would account for six of their losses. Going to be a tough one but as always GO JACKS!
SFAJack_76
This one makes me nervous because I don't know who this team is yet. Losing all those games, and practices, is a big deal. With only a sixteen game conference schedule (SLC .. ugh), a home loss is not okay. I think we win, but expect it to be tough.
SFAJack_76
Posey is here. Moving very gingerly.
No-look
Yep. Getting around slow and having to support himself walking off court.
Pilotgirl
So Gavin isnt starting?
SFAJack_76
Nope.
Pilotgirl
That's the tweet I was referring to
jboy93
News on Gavin?
nacluth
Nice starting three minutes. 8 points for Cam who can score all the points he wants.
Rev007
Great start!

Cam 2.0
jboy93
Nice start!
Rev007
But why remove him?
nacluth
Was Gavin in warmups because he seemed to be moving well on TV?
nacluth
13-7 at first media.
jboy93
Gavin coming in!
SFAJack_76
Gavin is checking in.
jboy93
Worst call ever!
nacluth
What a weak Tech
Rev007
Well, break away dunk is only good for 1 point when you slap the backboard...not smart
jboy93
He didn't slap backboard.
sfa17
Solid start so far
nacluth
Kensmil's elbow hook move inside always scares me. He gets called half the time he does it.
Rev007
I'd like to have Baker on our team.
nacluth
Rev007 said:

I'd like to have Baker on our team.
Solid sophomore player
Rev007
Nigel with the 3!
nacluth
Hit 10 point lead with 10 to go in first.
Rev007
Best start in a long time.
nacluth
At least since last game
Rev007
Nana is going to be solid Sophomore through Senior seasons.
nacluth
Hit double digits against New Orleans with 7:30 left in the first and never went below 10 again.
nacluth
Rev007 said:

Nana is going to be solid Sophomore through Senior seasons.
I like him. He could be great
Rev007
Sorry for all the posts, but...seems like Cam Johnson is turning into a reliable offensive player...similar in scoring ability, but not as fast as Shannon Bogues. We just need a player to morph into Big John Comeaux.
nacluth
Keep posting!
Rev007
I don't have access to a stat book, but it feels like our turnovers (committed by us) are down significantly, a really good sign.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.