SFA / Midwestern State

6,339 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (4-2, 1-0) vs. Midwestern State (5-1)

WHEN: JAN 8 (FRI) 6:30P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

The Jacks have added a tune-up game for tonight before their continuation of Southland play next Wednesday. They will be playing the Mustangs of Midwestern State who are part of the Lone Star Conference in the NCAA D2. They have five wins and one loss in their your season - though they have only played three teams. (Lone Star is playing conference two games against the same opponent on consecutive nights). Keller said in interview that he set them as one of the toughest D2 teams in the nation.

The Mustangs statistics are impressive so far scoring over 80 points a game, rebounding at a high clip, giving out more than 16 assists a game. However, they are a small team dominated by guards, and they have not yet played a D1 school this year. This game will count as an exhibition game for them, and while it will count for the Jacks, expect Keller to try to working on lineups and schemes through most of the game.

The Jacks came off arguably their best performance of the year handling New Orleans easily last Saturday. We will see if the defensive flow continues. Guard play took a step up, but it will be tested by the fast guards of Midwestern. Confidence on Heckard and Hawkins part will be essential. Our big unit should dominate inside.

Come out on a Friday night to see your Lumberjacks get some extra basketball in.

Axe 'em!
nacluth
Also, on our front page poll on how you think the Jacks will do right now, most people have voted that we will finish in the bottom half of the Southland.
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Also, on our front page poll on how you think the Jacks will do right now, most people have voted that we will finish in the bottom half of the Southland.
. That seems a little drastic....
No-look
Midwestern is scorching the nets with threes in warmups. We better get a defensive mode
SFAJack_76
Posey and Elliott aren't here.
nacluth
Looks like lots of zone breaking practice tonight
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm convinced that Hawkins will make a three one of these days.
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I'm convinced that Hawkins will make a three one of these days.

Can he just stop? Still not impressed, BTW.
Pilotgirl
Already in the bonus SMH And a miss call throwing Roti kn the ground
nacluth
At least we can shoot the three.
nacluth
Rough four minutes. Up by 6 with 8 left in first.

nacluth
Keller is the hottest I've seen him this year. Looks like we think we're playing a D2 team.
Rev007
We need to recruit at least two shooters for next year. We just don't have enough scoring.
Rev007
I'm not convinced...but a blind hog will find an acorn every now and then.
nacluth
Cameron has been in a scoring funk. Decided to break out of it. 18 points already.
jboy93
Why is having the shirttail tucked in such a big deal? Calvin is told twenty times a game to tuck his shirt in.
Just wondering.
nacluth
Didn't expect pretty ball in this game and boy are we getting ugly sets.
SFA Jack Fanatic
This reminds me of the ULM game. Can't beat a zone, and having an opponent that is having a good night shooting threes.
nacluth
Super weak technical on Kensmil
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ugly half. Ugly.
nacluth
Honestly not unhappy with the scoring against a total zone, but we're getting beat on the defensive zone. At least 6 second chances that they shouldn't have gotten. Have to stiffen up.
Rev007
Definitely nice to see Cameron scoring again...where's Roti's game tonight? Heckard has made at least 2 three pointers. We need consistent scorers. Hot one game, cold the next won't cut it.
MasterAxe
Hot Take:

The news that the administration and coaches basically punting on the season, or trying too, has negative consequences.

You send a message to the players that this season is a lost cause, you get effort that reflects that thinking.

It's only human nature to be down after learning your admins are wanting to/trying to scrap the season.

No fault to the kids, just the way it is. I'd likely respond with a less than stellar effort too, especially first game out.
No-look
Surely MW will cool off a little second half. Not our best game but we're playing hard.
SFAJack_76
MasterAxe said:

Hot Take:

The news that the administration and coaches basically punting on the season, or trying too, has negative consequences.

You send a message to the players that this season is a lost cause, you get effort that reflects that thinking.

It's only human nature to be down after learning your admins are wanting to/trying to scrap the season.

No fault to the kids, just the way it is. I'd likely respond with a less than stellar effort too, especially first game out.

Based on what I heard about the meeting, and the practices that followed, your hot take is not accurate.
nacluth
From 2 up to 12 up in 4 minutes. A little crisper, and the refs are calling it our way currently.
MasterAxe
SFAJack_76 said:

MasterAxe said:

Hot Take:

Based on what I heard about the meeting, and the practices that followed, your hot take is not accurate.

It may not be, but the product on the court tonight isn't exactly ideal.
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

Hot Take:

Not that hot.
nacluth
Keller tech because refs made two terrible calls.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Here we go again. SLC officials.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I know we are supposed to complain about the refs...but this group of refs are worse than normal crews we get.
nacluth
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

I know we are supposed to complain about the refs...but this group of refs are worse than normal crews we get.
It's not a stellar night. Shouldn't affect the outcome, but it's not good.
Rev007
Hawkins scored....yeah!!!
nacluth
12 left. Up 15.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.