Photo by SFA Athletics
Stephen F. Austin Basketball

SFA / #2 Baylor

December 8, 2020

SFA (3-0) vs. #2 Baylor (3-0)

WHEN: DEC. 9 (WED) 7:00 P.M.
WHERE: Ferrell Center (Waco, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+/B12Now

Anyone that watched the first half of Sunday’s game knows what reality tastes like, but you can just spit that out of your mouth. SFA is going to get to play Baylor tomorrow night, and it’s time to start dreaming again. 

Part of the mystique that Keller has sold to his players is their ability to win the big games - the games other teams see as David and Goliath stories. They’re not. This is why these guys came to play here. To beat these “top” teams. Two years ago on some random Tuesday in December, the Jacks were in the midst of a terrible road trip that started with losing their point guard for illness, saw their top recruit get benched, and ultimately was the breaking point that led to two players getting dismissed. In the midst of that, Keller somehow got a limping team to give all they have and down Baylor. It ended something like this:

Baylor is a better team. SFA is a better team. On paper, the #2 team in the nation that just blew the doors off of Brad Underwood’s #5 Illinois by double digits should absolutely do the same to our team. Maybe that will happen, maybe we’ll lose by 25 like everyone says we should, or maybe, there’s still some holiday magic that hasn’t worn off from Keller’s jackets.

You can talk stats and matchups for the next 24 hours or so waiting for the game to start. But, this game is going to come down to heart. It’s the kind of heart that sees David drill a three with 10,000 fans screaming at him or Roti fighting to deflect the ball that’s going for an easy bucket or Gavin diving on the floor knowing there is no way that he is not coming up with it...or even a guy with a bad back and two bum knees running 70 feet to score the most important layup of his life. Who’s got heart? Not a team that wears yellow and green. Real hearts bleed purple.

Axe’ em!

SFA / #2 Baylor

28,718 Views | 272 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
djsfw57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was tempted to feel a little uh-oh in my gut, but then I remembered SFA vs Duke AT Cameron, which was absolutely an impossible place to win if you're a mid-major. Santa still has magic.
SFA, Class of 1979
TallTexan
All I want for Christmas is to beat the number two team.
nacluth
Sorry the write up is small. Had to put it together at work.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Give us some info on the Baylor team and players.
PurpleOut
Staff
Keller said this team is better than than the Duke team we played last season.
nacluth
PurpleOut said:

I believe it. Also two years ago, Baylor was our first road win. Seems like a good place to start.
CertifiedAxeman98
Just bought my tickets will be in Waco tomorrow.
CertifiedAxeman98
PurpleOut said:

Your saying this Baylor team is better than the Duke team we beat correct? I would agree with that.
Ballwatch
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

PurpleOut said:

Your saying this Baylor team is better than the Duke team we beat correct? I would agree with that.

Watched the Baylor / Illinois game and would agree also. Baylor was able to pull away quite easily in the second half. I hope to see a Huge game from Gavin
jboy93
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

Give us some info on the Baylor team and players.
They play fast and are big! Their guard play might really show us how far we have to go at that position.
SFAXE93
On paper...

F: Zach Loveday 7-0; 215 (Fr.) *** #2 Center State (OH.), #51 Nation
F: Flo Thamba 6-10; 245 (Jr.) *** #10 State (VA.), #34 Center
F: Matthew Mayer 6-9; 225 (Jr.) **** #4 State (TX.) #93 Nation
F: Dain Dainja 6-9; 270 (Fr.) **** #3 State (MN.) #16 Center; #87 Nation
F: Jordan Turner 6-8; 195 (Fr.) *** #6 State (KS.)
G: Jonathan Tchatchoua 6-7; 245 (So.) Transfer from UNLV
G: Jackson Moffatt 6-7; 200 (So.)
G: Mark Vital 6-5; 250 (Sr.) **** #1 State (LA.) #55 Nation
G: Macio Teague 6-4; 195 (Sr.) *** #8 State (OH.) Transfer from UNC Ashville
G: Adam Flagler 6-3; 180 (So.) Transfer from Presbyterian
G: Jared Butler 6-3; 195 (Jr.) **** #2 State (LA.) #97 Nation
G: Davion Mitchell 6-2; 205 (Jr.) **** #6 State (GA.) #59 Nation Transfer from Auburn
G: LJ Cryer 6-1; 185 (Fr.) **** #4 State (TX.) #94 Nation
G: Mark Paterson 6-1; 180 (Sr.)

See, not one 5 star recruit among them, we've got this!
cboothe09
Baylor has five guys averaging double figures scoring...Butler leads the way with 16.3...Teague and Flagler each average 15.7 and Mitchell rounds out the double figures crew with 13

Tchamwa-Tchatchoua is averaging almost a double-double with 9 and 8...

Depth is there with nine guys putting in over 12 mintues a game...

Currently they are shooting 47.3% from three while holding opponents to a 29.5% clip. Baylor struggles at the free throw line, hitting just 56.3% of their charity attempts.

Tidbits...Baylor makes an average of 11 3-pointers a game, so defending the perimeter will be a must. The Bears turn the ball over 11 times, while forcing 15...This will be their first home game of the year...
CertifiedAxeman98
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Just bought my tickets will be in Waco tomorrow.
Correction as it turns out I can't go so I have to relist my tickets on StubHub. 4 tickets - section 117 row 9 on the corner where the visitors bench is. Sucks I really wanted to go but that is life.
SFAXE93
We've got to get them in early foul trouble and hit a few more threes than usual to be in this one.
MasterAxe
PurpleOut said:

Which means both teams tomorrow night, SFA and Baylor, were better than the Duke team we played last year.

In all seriousness, I love these games. I would much rather risk getting our brains beat in by a major P5 school than play NAIA and sub D1 teams.

I realize the scheduling is difficult, but these are the games that really test your team and your players as to how good they can and need to be.
PurpleOut
Staff
Agreed. You learn more about playing the harder teams than you do the weaker teams.

Let's not forget that one of our greatest teams, the 2015-2016 team that went 28-6, lost to Baylor by 42.
SFA Jack Fanatic
And this certainly can't hurt our SoS. And I think this is a "buy" game, too.
Pilotgirl
Good interview:
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

And this certainly can't hurt our SoS. And I think this is a "buy" game, too.

Yes...Keller said they weren't making much, if anything at all, due to this crazy year.
nacluth
Starting line -23.5. Why does that seem familiar?
purpleballs
nacluth said:

I'll take this as a compliment. Wasn't the Duke game -28?
TallTexan
purpleballs said:

nacluth said:

I'll take this as a compliment. Wasn't the Duke game -28?

Coach Drew called Vegas and said "don't you dare give them another shot at the biggest upset of all time"
Ballwatch
Game day right? Quiet today!
nacluth
Ballwatch said:

Game day right? Quiet today!
GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!
nacluth
The comment for why all our recent top team wins happened is always that no one was expecting us. They overlooked us. Bigger games on the horizon.

That will not be the case tonight. We're not catching Duke on Thanksgiving before a big weekend game. Baylor is ready for us. We beat them last time when several current starters were there. They got tired of seeing Bain highlights last year. They know who we are and what we do.

It is going to be a brutal game tonight. It could be like the buzzsaw Walkup ran into or it could be a defining game for this season and program.

The tournament is not assured. Don't you know our seniors know that after last year? This is the tournament. They are a two* seed, we're the 15. One chance to make the name for your college career right here right now.

Still no one expects us to win. Everyone knows, KNOWS, Baylor is going to win. They aren't ignorant of us, but they don't believe in us. It doesn't matter what they believe. We believe.

We can win.

*I know technically right now they would be a one seed. For illustrative purposes only.
SFAXE93
Yes, let's do this!
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
RichieVan
Last night, Fort Hays State took down Kansas State 81-68. On any given day.....
BigJack85
We've got to be better on the perimeter. I think Gavin can mix it up with anyone. Charlie Daniels can also bang. If they (Gav and Charlie) bring it we got a chance to win it.
nacluth
I think you're right about the perimeter. If the outside game is a wash, then it definitely moves toward our game. If we get the outside edge, we will win. Their perimeter game is top notch.
No-look
Is the B12now an app? I can watch ESPN+ on my iPad but not on my LG TV.
nacluth
Just for reference:

SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

Hustle down to Walmart and buy a Roku. I watch all ESPN+ games on my big screen TV that way.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No-look said:

Hustle down to Walmart and buy a Roku. I watch all ESPN+ games on my big screen TV that way.
We watch it on our Samsung.
Pilotgirl
Almost time!
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No-look said:

We watch it on our Samsung.

Firestick here

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.