SFA / McNeese

13,685 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAXE93
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (1-0) vs. McNeese State (1-1)

WHEN: DEC 4 (FRI) 6:30P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

Heading into the weekend of their first week of the 2020-21 basketball campaign, the SFA Lumberjacks will be taking on their second team that wasn't on the schedule on the Monday of this week. Replacing Alcorn St. in the Saturday game will be the Cowboys of McNeese State on Friday night. It's just a tiny microcosm of what could end up being a swirling mess of a COVID-19 infected season - or it could just be first week jitters. Time will tell.

After missing out on their opportunity to get some national press in Bubbleville, SFA came out Tuesday night ready to show their fans that they intend to take up where last season left off. Out of the gate against Letourneau, the starting squad (all second year players) showed that they knew how to run an efficient full court game. The pleasant surprise is that the bench (mostly first year players) seemed to execute adequately well considering that it was their first time in live game play. This is the first team in a generation at SFA that has no third or fourth year players (consecutively at SFA), yet it may have one of the best forecasts for the regular season. This rosy outlook will start to be tested Friday night.

McNeese opened their season looking for some measure of healing after Lake Charles was ravaged by not one but two hurricanes during the summer. Their brand new glitzy multi-million dollar basketball arena was devastated. Third year coach Heath Schroyer has assembled his most talented squad yet, but with no great practice options before the season, the Pokes ran into a buzzsaw against Big10 also-ran Nebraska. Despite not getting all the Cornhusker leather out of the seats of their shorts, last night they took out all their frustrations on Dallas Christian College destroying them by over 100 point margin. SFA has to be ready for the target to switch to them.

While SFA thinks they own the talent on the inside, McNeese is here to show they have some bigs worth dealing with. Led by forwards Carlos Rosario (6' 8", 220), Keyshawn Feazell (6' 9", 235) and Jeremy Harrell (6' 8", 240), this front court of all senior players knows how to work the inside and get gritty buckets. While Kensmil and crew may be up to the challenge, all the inside work is to open up what McNeese is best at - guard shooting.

Dru Kuxhausen may be the deadliest sharpshooter in the Southland. When he gets on a roll, his range can be accurate from well beyond the arc. He just drained 8-12 from three last night against DCC, and he's hoping that's just warmed him up for Friday. It doesn't get much better for the Jacks after that, guards AJ Lawson, Zach Scott, Ra'Shawn Langston, and newcomer Braelon Bush all have shooting mentalities. They plan on stretching the vaunted SFA defense for all its worth. If those weak side corner threes start falling, it will be a long night for the Lumberjacks.

SFA cannot overlook McNeese as the stepchild of the SLC that got beat by more than 50 in their last D1 game. Defensive cohesion is going to be the make or break aspect of this game. While the Jacks should have the edge inside being able to roll Gavin, Calvin, Charlie, Nana, Demiere constantly at the inside senior three, it will be our guards whose fitness is going to be stretched. David, Roti, and Cam are going have to lead the way defensively to keep the pressure off of Nigel and DeAndre. We have speed and we're going to have to exploit McNeese into not getting set on the court. If the Cowboys get their shooting touch dialed in, it will be heard to go toe to toe with them. Disruption must be the game plan.

No one is going to fold to SFA this year, but the first 8 minutes popping McNeese in the mouth with a solid one-two of inside offensive dominance and backcourt defense should be enough to let the Jacks get the measure of this game. Kuxhausen could easily be a first teamer in March, but Keller is going to try to make sure that it is not based on this game. Rosario is also trying to cement himself as the top big of the Southland, but Kensmil will be ready to go to the mat if necessary to show him who the best is. It's going to be a fun NON-Southland Southland match up Friday night in Johnson Coliseum. Be there.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
Heads up that Kilgore and Lindale are playing at Homer Bryce Friday night. Shouldn't be large crowds for both due to COVID, but just an FYI that there may be extra traffic.
jboy93
Kuxhausen had an off night against Nebraska but it still didn't keep him from chunking up shots. Looks like there is no shot that he will shy away from.
nacluth
Rev if you're out there, are you coming to the game tomorrow night? They say you're next down the line from me in our row. I was thinking of bringing my kids, but they don't want us infecting each other. No worries either way, I'll just move my clan wherever Wally wants me.
BigJack85
Great write up.
Rev007
Excellent pre-game analysis! I expect the Jacks to up the tempo and have those Cowboy big men sucking air. I wish I could see the game, but will be on a flight to the West coast. I will enjoy reading the post-game analysis.
TallTexan
My tickets for this weekend are available if anyone needs two tickets.
nacluth
Wow, this is the first big game of the year and there's not much pre-game chatter. I'm trying to get dinner done so I can make it for tip. Hustling four girls together who don't seem to grasp the critical importance of this game is tough.
Pilotgirl
Last night's WBB game kinda did me in lol
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Wow, this is the first big game of the year and there's not much pre-game chatter. I'm trying to get dinner done so I can make it for tip. Hustling four girls together who don't seem to grasp the critical importance of this game is tough.

Come on. I can't handle it by myself. Still a little worn from last night.
jboy93
On the way in from Tyler. Is there no radio pregame?
MasterAxe
I'll take

SFA 84
MCN 69

I'll also take SFA -13.5 and over the 150.5

Let's go!
SFAJack_76
Pregame intro was screwed up. Come on!
KirkHeath12
Anyone see a spread on the game?
Class of 2012
Axe Em
Pilotgirl
David is much improved
Pilotgirl
Anybody else not impressed with Hawkins so far? Prove me wrong, Nigel!!
nacluth
Physical out of the gate. Got to cover Kuxhausen
RichieVan
Will Keller please deviate a little from his defensive philosophy and dedicate someone on the floor to Kuxhausen?
SFAJack_76
Keller, "Our defense isn't good."
RichieVan
Calvin has no left hand
nacluth
Bad blocking call. It's physical. It's going to be a bend not break kind of game.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Gavin having a tough time tonight so far
RichieVan
Very sloppy
SFAXE93
ice cold
nacluth
McNeese hitting all their threes and we're not winning the inside battle. That's McNeese's only winning plan.
PurpleOut
Staff
We look awful. On both sides of the ball.
nacluth
We're deep with players but thin at point play right now.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The announcer tonight is lame. Never says anything except during time outs.
nacluth
Down 10 with 5:40 in first
nacluth
Braelon Bush has been their lead point all night. Looking good as a freshman. He's going to be good for years.
jboy93
Where is Danny Merril?
nacluth
This game is coming down to free throws.
Pilotgirl
PurpleOut said:

We look awful. On both sides of the ball.

Yup
nacluth
Dance cam one success
nacluth
Posey trying to get a T just to get in the game.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.