SFA / McNeese

13,684 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAXE93
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Good win and a good test early on. Have to do better controlling the ball, got very careless early in the game and then at the very end as well. 10 missed FTs didn't help either.
SFAJack_76
Keller mentioned in the post game that the defense the first 10-12 minutes of the second half was the best he has seen all season. Grit and grind kind of game. Take the W and go home. Plenty to work on.
nacluth
My I have missed our refs...

We have 6 very good players. Heckard and Nana are playing their parts for now. Heckard is getting more of a role, but it's clear he's used to attacking. Nana seems to have been given a limited set of things to do, but he's doing those well. He already has better hands than Jovan or Sammy.

Hawkins got a decent amount of court time following McNeese guards, but he was not much of a factor. Brown got one series and it was too physical for him. McDaniel rode the bench in a tight game.

Braelon Bush is the best freshman point I've seen in the SLC in a while. He wasn't always in position and he played like a freshman, but he can shoot. He's tiny. McNeese is losing a ton of players next year which is good just to hold Bush down. I hope Posey is more of a stud, but if he's the same, I'll be happy.

Keller really played some interesting lineups with our core group. I think he's finding the depths of where we can go. Country, Solomon, and Kensmil are a ferocious rotation. David, Roti, and Cam can be when they get rolling.

Point is still our weakest position. We're going to lose some games if David picks up two fouls quick. He's got to play cleaner than he ever has.

Solid win. We're not there yet. I couldn't say how we would have done in Connecticut, but we deal with what we have - which is LSU Alexandria on Sunday.
nacluth
While it's impressive that Gavin and David are both shooting over 70% after two games, it's nothing to Nana's 100%.
No-look
One might could say that this was our first game or test. Plenty to work on but saw glimpses of good stuff. We may be ahead of last year at this early point.
Player improvements are good. Nana is a surprise to me. Gave some decent minutes for a freshman. Nigel just needs to see the floor more and he will be fine. All is good.
Rev007
My Take:

Any win is better than a loss. Given that, this was a pretty good win. We were down by 10 in the first half, but we didn't panic. We have a very deep team of interchangeable players.

Positives:

Please don't think I arrived out here in LA last night and immediately purchased and smoked some crack, but when I look at the potential of Nana, I think about The Dream, both from Nigeria, both very raw, but athletic and hard working. I predict Nana will lead the team in blocked shots the next four years. It will take a while to develop an offensive game. Once this guy gains some confidence and realizes he can play with the big boys, the sky is the limit.

Heckard - I'm seeing glimpses of a player that is awesome in the open court. He plays really fast.

David - I started not to add David in the positives section because of some really poor passes that were turnovers leading to easy layups, but David is head and shoulders above where he was last year, especially in playing with confidence and not putting his head down and pouting when things go bad. His conditioning is remarkable, and that tells us he put it the work for his senior season.

Gavin and Charlie: Gavin was tremendous with his patented spin moves in the lane. His footwork looks even better than last year. Charlie had some nice buckets including a nifty layup with his left hand.

Cameron - Had a subpar first game, but he hit a couple of nice threes in this one. We definitely need our three point shooting as it complements Gavin's inside game.

Negatives:

Roti - Had a less than stellar game, but I'm not worried about him. That's just basketball, ups and downs.

Nigel - I think he is trying too hard to impress. Let's give him a chance to settle down and start doing the things he is capable of doing.

Summary:

Jacks win!!! We have a deep team, and Coach Keller is still working on rotations which he always does at this point in the season. Still waiting on Mr. Posey to heal. We are going to be difficult to beat.
SFAJack_76
Agree with some really good summaries. Nana is a very pleasant surprise. Cox is going to have some fun developing him. Outside of a couple of head scratching passes, David is solid. Roti is fine. Country played a solid game. Solomon was better on the offensive end than typical. That rebound after the two missed free throws was big. Cam is a scorer. Need him to be more consistent. Kensmill ... stud.

Agree that PG is our biggest concern. David is fine on the offensive end. Not quick enough for solid on ball defense. Need Heckard to come on.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I agree that we need to give Nigel a chance. He will get comfortable with our guys and our offense eventually.

I have been a big fan of David ever since he hit that cold-blooded three against Duke. He's not super talented, but he's mature and you know you're always going to get steady, consistent play from him.

True, Gavin was POG, but on any other night it would have been Cam. Love the guy. Such a silky smooth stroke.

And lastly, McNeese dominated the lane in the first half. I don't know what Keller and Cox told our bigs at halftime, but they were a different bunch in the second half.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Agree with some really good summaries. Nana is a very pleasant surprise. Cox is going to have some fun developing him. Outside of a couple of head scratching passes, David is solid. Roti is fine. Country played a solid game. Solomon was better on the offensive end than typical. That rebound after the two missed free throws was big. Cam is a scorer. Need him to be more consistent. Kensmill ... stud.

Agree that PG is our biggest concern. David is fine on the offensive end. Not quick enough for solid on ball defense. Need Heckard to come on.

76, best evaluation I've seen. From the clips I saw if Heckard comes in we could be really good. We're stacked at 2,3-4
No-look
Hopefully Posey will get healthy. I heard he was doing really well before his injury. That should add some depth. Also wanting to see mcDaniels see the floor.
SFAXE93
That makes 17 straight wins for the Jacks!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.