Penalties for APR

20,008 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ty is 100% not giving up his rings.

And if something ridiculous happened and he was forced, the Sawmill and private donors will all work together to buy him new rings. That's a fact.
SFAXE93
BigJack85 said:

No way. I can't imagine. I'd say I lost mine....
lol I'm sorry sir, I just can't imagine what I could have done with it?
sfajack05
None of this will matter in 4-5 years when football has won several championships and basketball is making FInal Four runs.

It will be a blip in SFA history.
BigJack85
If you haven't listened to Ivey's interview with David Smoake, you should. He very eloquently covered our proactive response and how we mitigated significant long-term damage. Along with expounding on our inherent strengths and strong overall performance in a broader sense. Our sports success is not just basketball. Basketball is BY FAR the most important but it is not an island of success.
Pilotgirl
sfajack05 said:

None of this will matter in 4-5 years when football has won several championships and basketball is making FInal Four runs.

Let's beat another P5 school and shut all these haters up.
sfajack05
Just curious now that the dust has sort of settled...since the APR is a rolling average of four years, can we potentially see other postseason bans or did Ivey negotiate with the NCAA that it was only the ones listed?
No-look
sfajack05 said:

Just curious now that the dust has sort of settled...since the APR is a rolling average of four years, can we potentially see other postseason bans or did Ivey negotiate with the NCAA that it was only the ones listed?
shouldn't be any more bans if we stay clean.
Jacks4460
No-look said:

sfajack05 said:

Yep the NCAA has been known to grant waviers if APR is still below number needed... the institution in trouble needs to be getting better and plans have to be in place to get better... Our plans to get better are now in place..
TallTexan
sfajack05 said:

It will just make the 30 for 30 all that more intriguing.

"What if I told you that a small school in East Texas soared to national prominence, and then was brought back to earth by one man's incompetence? What if I told you they emerged from the ashes and built the most dominant athletic department in the country?"
PurpleOut
Staff
I'm assuming (again just my opinion) that we'll have much better numbers next year. I know there's a lot of factors, but considering our much higher our overall GPAs have been, plus we know several former players have been in school and just graduated. Has to help.
sfajack05
TallTexan said:

sfajack05 said:

"What if I told you that a small school in East Texas soared to national prominence, and then was brought back to earth by one man's incompetence? What if I told you they emerged from the ashes and built the most dominant athletic department in the country?"
I think Purpleout can direct it and MasterAxe can narrate it.
PurpleOut
Staff
sfajack05 said:

TallTexan said:

sfajack05 said:

I think Purpleout can direct it and MasterAxe can narrate it.
I think it could make for a great story. Especially if A) there could be interviews with the old regime (everyone and anyone), and B) if it was done in a year or so after everything was over with the hope that we move on to bigger and better things.

SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

No-look said:

sfajack05 said:

Yep the NCAA has been known to grant waviers if APR is still below number needed... the institution in trouble needs to be getting better and plans have to be in place to get better... Our plans to get better are now in place..
This is correct. At some point we request a waiver based on meaningful progress. The spring average GPA of 3.21 has been well advertised. What you can't tell from that is that the courses being taken are also more challenging, and degree progress related. With the policies and procedures now in place, and the strong staff of athletic/academic support, I expect our waiver request to be approved.
PurpleOut
Staff
I noticed Sam Houston had a 936 for football this past year, so they were in the danger zone. In fact, they have ALWAYS been right on the line. Since 2009-2010 they had a 931 or 932 FIVE times, including a 919 in 2009-2010 (and didn't get a postseason ban). And the highest score was 942. Is it just a coincidence that they just happen to slide by every year? Maybe.

They also had a 980 in Hoops this year. Which is interesting that the school with possibly the most transfers and turnover year after year could have such a high score.
Pilotgirl
This is that make ya go hmmmm...
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I noticed Sam Houston had a 936 for football this past year, so they were in the danger zone. In fact, they have ALWAYS been right on the line. Since 2009-2010 they had a 931 or 932 FIVE times, including a 919 in 2009-2010 (and didn't get a postseason ban). And the highest score was 942. Is it just a coincidence that they just happen to slide by every year? Maybe.

They also had a 980 in Hoops this year. Which is interesting that the school with possibly the most transfers and turnover year after year could have such a high score.

Interesting. Someone should look into that.
AxeEm99
I spoke with an SH Athletics employee this morning who handles the APR reporting. He advised me that SH has been fined by the NCAA for their scores (and errors) multiple times. He advised that the APR calculations are tricky and very time consuming. He stated that mistakes are made even after checking and re-checking multiple times...

In addition, I viewed a post earlier today from an SFA alum on Facebook that this is the last year at Reliant?? (Is this true?? I hope so!!!,)
MasterAxe
randybass said:

I spoke with an SH Athletics employee this morning who handles the APR reporting. He advised me that SH has been fined by the NCAA for their scores (and errors) multiple times. He advised that the APR calculations are tricky and very time consuming. He stated that mistakes are made even after checking and re-checking multiple times...

In addition, I viewed a post earlier today from an SFA alum on Facebook that this is the last year at Reliant?? (Is this true?? I hope so!!!,)
"Wait, what's a check/re-check?"

- Robert Hill & 2013-2018 SFA Athletics
PurpleOut
Staff
randybass said:

Haven't heard, but I hope so too. I think the majority of folks on our side are about done with that agreement.
Pilotgirl
Y'all could always ask me about NRG stuff...kinda have an in there....lol
Pilotgirl
I know so many of yall want it back on campus but I would still like it at a neutral site....a smaller venue. What about UH, something like that.
PurpleOut
Staff
I'd be fine with a home-home-neutral rotation. I'd rather have the revenue for a home game every now and then.
cboothe09
UH isn't bad but I'd prefer not to give money to another college. I'm partial to Houston, so maybe BBVA or get creative with Minute Maid if they wanna be quirky.

IF they were to go to Dallas, Toyota or The Star aren't terrible choices
Pilotgirl
I don't think it's a bad idea to think outside the box when thinking about other venues that might benefit both teams better...
cboothe09
Agreed
BigJack85
BBVA would be awesome except the WHOLE INSIDE OF THE STADIUM is orange.
Pilotgirl
I think $$ is gonna be the biggest thing to consider here with budget cuts and all.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I'd be fine with a home-home-neutral rotation. I'd rather have the revenue for a home game every now and then.

And just to set the tone of how we can have 15 to 20k at a game in Nac. But tbh, neutral site games suck, keep it all home and home.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

BBVA would be awesome except the WHOLE INSIDE OF THE STADIUM is orange.
Would just have to cover it in purple.
PurpleOut
Staff
Pretty decent article on Detroit Mercy and their past APR issues. They got a waiver and will be eligible next season, although they had a multi-year ban so probably easier to get a waiver. But interesting quotes from Coach Davis. We'll never know really, but I wonder what the GPAs looked like for the kids that left.

We wouldn't get any points for kids like Cam Mack, who signed, enrolled, and never had a GPA. It's easy to see where APR problems could come from, even without the disaster of the miscalculation from the previous regime.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/5228360002
Pilotgirl
Gotta recruit kids who will stay and graduate....needs to be a whole team supporting and guiding our student athletes....need more communication from different colleges (liberal arts, education, etc) and COMPETENT advisors.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Gotta recruit kids who will stay and graduate....needs to be a whole team supporting and guiding our student athletes....need more communication from different colleges (liberal arts, education, etc) and COMPETENT advisors.
Agree.

Relative to recruiting, Carthel has been very vocal about recruiting student-athletes, not just athletes. Some of our coaches have been more successful at this than others. There are always going to be those that don't stay to graduate. That most likely will get worse when the NCAA enacts the one time transfer rule for all sports. It looks like that will be in effect starting the 2021-2022 season.

There has been a significant divide on campus between academics and athletics. There are processes being put in place to improve that communication and understanding. Ivey has been working on that personally along with Dr. Ken Collier, our Faculty Athletics Representative.

I admire, and have great confidence in the advisors in place now.
Pilotgirl
So it might be likely that we have several transfer during our BB post season ban (more than anticipated) if that rule is established. You would think NCAA would account for this in calculations for APR but that makes too much sense lol
BigJack85
Below you will find a quote from an article written in "Kentucky Sports Radio" online. If you want to read the entire you'll need to use the google machine ... LOL.

Strippers and fake classes are good to go, but don't you dare let the missteps of a previous administration surface or the NCAA will destroy the next 10 years of your future. Congratulations SFA, you were just small enough of a financial blip on the NCAA's radar that they felt comfortable dragging you through the mud.

This about sums it up.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Below you will find a quote from an article written in "Kentucky Sports Radio" online. If you want to read the entire you'll need to use the google machine ... LOL.

Strippers and fake classes are good to go, but don't you dare let the missteps of a previous administration surface or the NCAA will destroy the next 10 years of your future. Congratulations SFA, you were just small enough of a financial blip on the NCAA's radar that they felt comfortable dragging you through the mud.

This about sums it up.

Just when my blood had almost cooled off about the NCAA's actions, you just made it boil again, 85. But it is good to see that at least some outsiders know what really happened.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.