Penalties for APR

20,224 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAJack_76
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Holy ****, had to start a new thread.

Just released by SFA. I have included the worst part:

The Level I (Mitigated) sanctions agreed upon by the NCAA and Stephen F. Austin include the following:
  • Three years of probation;
  • Public reprimand and censure;
  • A fine of $5,000 plus one-half of one percent of the total budgets for football and men's basketball;
  • The return of 50 percent of the University's financial share earned from participation in the 2016 NCAA Tournament;
  • The forfeiture of all records and contests in which an ineligible SFA student-athlete competed, which includes 29 football victories from 2013-2019; 117 men's basketball victories from 2014 to 2019; 112 baseball victories from 2015 to 2019; 31 softball victories from the 2018 season; and adjusted conference championship scores from women's golf, women's track and field, men's cross country and men's track and field.
  • Included in the vacation of wins are conference championships in men's basketball in 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2017-18, as well as the program's First Round win in the 2016 NCAA Tournament. The banners recognizing those achievements will be removed from William R. Johnson Coliseum.
  • A 2.5% reduction in financial aid awards (scholarships) in football for 2020-2021 and 2021-2022; a 5% reduction in baseball in either 2020-21 or 2021-2022 and the loss of one scholarship in men's basketball in either 2020-2021 or 2021-22.
  • Prior to the conclusion of the probationary period, the institution will submit to a data review with APP staff.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Wow....and this is from in house errors....no intentional cheating.....wow
BigJack85
Overkill.
Jacks4460
Come on LL there was cheating... or just some serious ass stupidity.. Knew about having to forfeit all those W's..
BigJack85
If this was Louisville or North Carolina they would have just tipped their hat to them.
MasterAxe
Take all the banners you want, whatever.

Its the loss of dollars that hurt.
BigJack85
I want banners!!!!
sfajack05
I hope everyone that was involved in creating this issue is gone now.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Hell, I want the people responsible for this in stocks on the public square!
BigJack85
This sounds like more than Lynn Graves having football players wash his car.
Jacks4460
One is still employed with the University... Maybe he saw that it was better to tell what was going on rather than have the NCAA down their throat and wasnt the one making the calls..
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

This sounds like more than Lynn Graves having football players wash his car.
I love Coach Graves.. that man loves his players...
MasterAxe
The 2016 return of dollars from the NCAA makes me think that maybe that year had the biggest violations.
sfajack05
So why did it take them so long to realize an issue?

Ivey came in during 2018. Was the person or persons responsible for certifying everything still employed until recently? One person was moved this fall to another department, correct?
PurpleOut
Staff
Sickening. And absolutely gutted for everyone involved.

But we have to move on...and we will. We are lucky to have Ivey and his staff now, and a department capable of moving us to bigger and better things.

Rally behind them.

#AxeEm
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Sickening. And absolutely gutted for everyone involved.

But we have to move on...and we will. We are lucky to have Ivey and his staff now, and a department capable of moving us to bigger and better things.

Rally behind them.

#AxeEm

Agreed 100%. We will be back and better than ever. While I will still maintain that this is overkill and a travesty we can certainly overcome this.
SFA2014
Here's the NCAA Public Decision that helps answer a lot of questions from the statement released by Ivey.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/infractions/decisions/May2020INF_StephenFAustinNRPublic.pdf
SFAXE93
Man, that's wiping out the entire Underwood era.
SFA Jack Fanatic
None of this would be happening if we were Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, etc.! I AM PISSED!!!!!!
nacluth
It means Underwood only had one tournament team. At least we still beat VCU, but we can't claim the WVU win. We're no longer the winningest team in Texas or have one of the best home court records. Walkup's career can't be touted. All of our 100 win players are vacated from their records: Jacob, Thomas, Ty, Trey, Dallas.

Keller has not coached a team to the NCAA's. We have no SLC tournament titles since the 2013-2014 season, but it looks like this year's SLC title will stay. Duke counts.

It's seriously affecting how we can bill ourselves.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

None of this would be happening if we were Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, etc.! I AM PISSED!!!!!!
Double standard.
SFAJack_76
sfajack05 said:

So why did it take them so long to realize an issue?

Ivey came in during 2018. Was the person or persons responsible for certifying everything still employed until recently? One person was moved this fall to another department, correct?
Ivey started July 2018. Kara Carpenter, Associate AD for Compliance, started that job in August 2018. The issues were discovered in April 2019, by Kara. I don't know when the previous Associate AD for Academics moved to the faculty position, but it was before the errors were discovered, so prior to April 2019.

PurpleOut
Staff
wahlwesle
This part hurts the most.

"Inform prospects in all affected sports programs in writing that the institution is on probation for three years and detail the violations committed. If a prospect takes an official paid visit, the information regarding violations, penalties and terms of probation must be provided in advance of the visit. Otherwise, the information must be provided before a prospect signs a National Letter of Intent;"
nacluth
nacluth said:

It means Underwood only had one tournament team. At least we still beat VCU, but we can't claim the WVU win. We're no longer the winningest team in Texas or have one of the best home court records. Walkup's career can't be touted. All of our 100 win players are vacated from their records: Jacob, Thomas, Ty, Trey, Dallas.

Ok, so after reading the fine print, the student-athletes can hold whatever individual records they earned as long as they were eligible. It will be interesting to see if anyone ever says if any of these players had to be stripped of their individual records.
TallTexan
Quote:

." Through that review, it was determined that the primary problem in the former academic certification process was the institution's failure to consider the degree applicability of transfer credits when certifying transfer student-athletes' academic eligibility. Although these transfer student-athletes largely met NCAA transfer legislation, they failed to meet progress-toward-degree legislation at the institution.
This makes it sound like we're being punished not for violating NCAA transfer rules, we were in compliance with those, but bc we violated SFA's own rules.
MasterAxe
nacluth said:

Keller has not coached a team to the NCAA's. We have no SLC tournament titles since the 2013-2014 season, but it looks like this year's SLC title will stay. Duke counts.

It's seriously affecting how we can bill ourselves.
While technically correct, this is the same vein as "Reggie Bush did not win Heisman in 2005."

We won those games and everyone knows it.
nacluth
My point is everyone may know it, but we can't say it. I was primarily addressing how we bill ourselves to the nation and potential recruits.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Quote:

." Through that review, it was determined that the primary problem in the former academic certification process was the institution's failure to consider the degree applicability of transfer credits when certifying transfer student-athletes' academic eligibility. Although these transfer student-athletes largely met NCAA transfer legislation, they failed to meet progress-toward-degree legislation at the institution.
This makes it sound like we're being punished not for violating NCAA transfer rules, we were in compliance with those, but bc we violated SFA's own rules.
Well, sort of. We violated the NCAA requirement for meeting progress toward a degree. Transfers may have credits for classes that don't meet this requirement.
nacluth
The biggest positive from the report is that there is no coverup. Ivey's crew found the mistake and have taken the steps to try to make things right. They are going to pay a big price for being forthright, but kudos to them for doing it.

My biggest concern is that this would be the first step in a bigger problem. That is not the case and the NCAA doubles down on how honorably our current AD's crew has operated.
TallTexan
No-look said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Double standard.
Also, they mention in the report that it wasn't malicious, they say that even when being interviewed the former employees were surprised to learn that we weren't in compliance.

Further, the NCAA admitted that the person had multiple responsibilites in the athletic department. We're largely being punished for being a small school who can't hire the best lawyers in the state or have a compliance officer for every sport.

Yes, it was our error, but the NCAA is blowing this out of proportion with future restrictions.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Quote:

Well, sort of. We violated the NCAA requirement for meeting progress toward a degree. Transfers may have credits for classes that don't meet this requirement.
In all the world of transfers it's hard to imagine that we're the only ones who ended up not catching this. In fact, I know we're not the only ones.
MasterAxe
One of the underlying problems was that there was no system in place to check for errors. No checks/balances.

This is the ABSOLUTE most important thing to a program, making sure your athletes are eligible, yet, we took no steps to insure we were doing it correctly.

The new person noticed the mistake within a year, a mistake that had been made for 1/2 decade+.

At my job, we have an outside auditor come in 2x a year to check for things just like this. Apparently this did not happen at SFA.

"We do it this way cause this is the way we always do it," just bit us in the ass.
PurpleOut
Staff

Quote:

"We do it this way cause this is the way we always do it," just bit us in the ass.
Basically the motto of our old regime.
ACUCattitude
As a fan of another school, I do not think that the NCAA is blowing it out of proportion. Whether intentional or not, SFA had an extreme competitive advantage over the rest of the SLC. For 6 years and 117 wins SFAMBB played ineligible players. They won three championships that might have gone to other conference schools.

This was a negotiated settlement. It might have been so much worse if Ivey had not taken immediate action when he found out.

Having said that, I am 100% pulling for the Lumberjacks. You now have a terrific AD and solid coaches in football and most other sports. Might be time to clean house in men's basketball, however.

Best wishes to you all.

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.