SFA / Sam Houston

21,940 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pilotgirl
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sfajack05 said:

I'll also say this because I know I crapped on Keller last season. I'm not sure what happened between last season and this season but he seems like a totally different coach in my opinion. Making adjustments in game, playing the right guys at the right time, and fighting for his guys against the refs.

You are so correct. I was also crapping on keller last year. He made some really thoughtful adjustments. Especially that pinch at the top of the key on defense.
nacluth
Good pick up. I noticed that too and it paid dividends. Again I wonder how much Vanya has added to the staff in analysis. We have made much better adjustments this season.
nacluth
Just to finish up my personal road trip Talking Heads playlist. This is what we did today in Huntsville.

TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

sfajack05 said:

I'll also say this because I know I crapped on Keller last season. I'm not sure what happened between last season and this season but he seems like a totally different coach in my opinion. Making adjustments in game, playing the right guys at the right time, and fighting for his guys against the refs.

You are so correct. I was also crapping on keller last year. He made some really thoughtful adjustments. Especially that pinch at the top of the key on defense.

I think last year we were realizing that we didn't have the right guys on the bus, while this season we've got them on the bus, so now the coaches can tinker with the seating.

Losing Aaron & TJ last year, plus a half healthy Comeaux hurt that team out of the gate.

This year has been totally different. Keller even coached up Canete's beard into a respectable GQ look.
Pilotgirl
Great song choice.
.love the Talking Heads!
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

I think last year we were realizing that we didn't have the right guys on the bus, while this season we've got them on the bus, so now the coaches can tinker with the seating.

Losing Aaron & TJ last year, plus a half healthy Comeaux hurt that team out of the gate.

I hate to admit it, but for once I agree with the Texan. It has not been a difference in coaching. Primarily due to defections, injuries, and some bad eggs roaming around in the coop, we simply didn't have the right chickens available last year. I believe it was Bud Wilkinson who once said, "You can't make chicken salad if you don't have any chickens." We didn't have any chickens.
No-look
Fun game to attend. Good atmosphere. We got there right before game started and had to sit on the "other end". They wasted a lot of good seating on visiting side by design plus signs hanging on the rails....very good road win. This SFA team is fun to watch!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Game summary from the Houston Chronicle...

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/houston-chronicle-sunday/20200202/282853667934614
TallTexan
No-look said:

Fun game to attend. Good atmosphere. We got there right before game started and had to sit on the "other end". They wasted a lot of good seating on visiting side by design plus signs hanging on the rails....very good road win. This SFA team is fun to watch!
My brother, the bearkat alum: "There's not a good seat in this place".

Their railing was like 5 feet tall & it was needlessly so. Except for the reserved section on the home side, everything else is a terrible angle.

When I pulled up the box score post-game, I was shocked to see who'd scored how many points because it was a relatively terrible view to keep track of what was going on.

But definitely a fun game. Wish the ladies had gotten the W, but I think they'll get revenge on senior night.
Pilotgirl
No-look said:

There were several seats still available where I was ...we even moved around to fit people! Next year, we are gonna do a better job of sitting together for sure...even if V and I have to coordinate it!
fountainhs
Great win for the boys last night! Kensmil looked more like himself throughout the game last night. We will need that down the stretch if we want to assert our dominance and potentially get a few W's in the tourney. I have been really impressed lately with the play of Daniels. Dude has been dominant. Being honest, there have been moments I thought he should be the starting big over Kensmil, even though I know that is unfair because Kensmil is still recovering from a hurt Achilles. Moving forward, I would like to see Kevon assert his dominance more throughout the entirety of the game. He is to good to not be the most dominant player on the court for the whole game. If we have any chance of making a run in the tourney, he needs to be dominant. The same can be said of Cam. Dude can be the most dominant player on the court when he is driving to the bucket.
Pilotgirl
In a post game interview with Hooten, he said : "You (to the announcer) say/call this a loss but I say we just ran out of time"

Who wants to inform Hooten about basic rules of basketball?
W1964
Bum Phillips said it a different way. Bum said "You can't make ice cream out of sh*t"!
SFAJack_76
For those that didn't pick it up, Cam was a pallbearer at a funeral. Somehow he made it to the game. It was in doubt whether he would make it.

Comments about Keller this year versus last are spot on. Last year's team team with injuries and malcontents was entirely different than this. Keller is the same coach with different tools. From the coaches and players, a common theme is how much they all like each other. The team meals tend to go long because the players enjoy staying and visiting.

Not much to add on the game comments. Daniels three was HUGE. He is now 1-1 on the season. Free throw shooting 15-17 in the second half ... don't know where that came from, but I sure like it.

Sam's gym is awful. My wife had similar comments to others about concessions.

Another separation game at home on Wednesday.
SFAJack_76

Combined with Mason being on the bench, emotional day for the Jacks.

And, time to celebrate.
cboothe09
Not mad about their behavior. This was an emotional rivalry game, with first place on the line at their place. They were going to be pumped. Especially when they knock down a big shot.

The only one that bothered me was RJ Smith, but he seems like the kind of guy you tend to hate playing against but love to have. He plays on the edge and works his way under opponents skin, whether its throwing a shoulder in a screen or just raw emotion. Him and Gavin had a near brush up late in the second half.

I was happy to see him foul out...

Now, as it was pointed out on Twitter, the guys on press row were completely unprofessional. Calling for a technical on Keller and cheering during the game is a no-no. Wasn't a fan of that. Poor look for a program that has guys in their media relations and athletics department that are very professional and are among the best in the SLC.
cboothe09
Cannot imagine what Cam went through yesterday. Had to be absolutely brutal. Definitely an emotional win on multiple fronts for us.
SFAJack_76
djsfw57
SFAJack_76 said:

Combined with Mason being on the bench, emotional day for the Jacks.

And, time to celebrate.

I LOVE seeing this celebration. It's nice to see the guys having such a good time.The atmosphere is completely different from last year.
SFA, Class of 1979
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

In a post game interview with Hooten, he said : "You (to the announcer) say/call this a loss but I say we just ran out of time"

Knew these guys were Aggies..

It was driving my brother insane that Hooten kept calling a timeout every time they hit a big basket.
TallTexan
I've caused much consternation amongst the Bearkats with this tweet.

Some of them totally did not get the joke.

nacluth
Don't mess with cheer teams...even if the joke isn't on them.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

I've caused much consternation amongst the Bearkats with this tweet.

Some of them totally did not get the joke.

Dude...V and I were just reading thru that thread! There's something about you stirring the pot every time we go to Sam....stay tuned for our visit to WRJ South 2021---what will Texan do next?!
RedRiverLa
Pilotgirl said:

As long as he continues to coach based on time he doesn't have, I'm happy with how the season should shake out.
SFAJack_76
Ok ... this is some kind of good. Pumped.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

Dude...V and I were just reading thru that thread! There's something about you stirring the pot every time we go to Sam....stay tuned for our visit to WRJ South 2021---what will Texan do next?!
Lol, it's always something.
jboy93
I do like seeing Hart engaged in the locker room celebration!
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Good pick up. I noticed that too and it paid dividends. Again I wonder how much Vanya has added to the staff in analysis. We have made much better adjustments this season.

Did you notice Deketuis talking to either Roti or maybe Cam Johnson during one of the timeouts. It appeared to me he was explain Kai Mitchell's double step that he makes before he pivots to the hoop. Really solid analysis. Don't know if Vanya put that out there but it was part of slowing Mitchell down. He (Mitchell) is very solid.
BigJack85
Probably in the minority but I believe Hooten is a VERY good coach. He typically doesn't have as much depth as we do, so he approaches the game different than a solid SFA squad might approach the game. He really had his guys prepared for our inside pressure. Sams 3-point shooting was fabulous. Fabulous. If it wasn't for our high pressure defense finally dialing in we walk out with a L.
Pilotgirl
BigJack85 said:

Probably in the minority but I believe Hooten is a VERY good coach. He typically doesn't have as much depth as we do, so he approaches the game different than a solid SFA squad might approach the game. He really had his guys prepared for our inside pressure. Sams 3-point shooting was fabulous. Fabulous. If it wasn't for our high pressure defense finally dialing in we walk out with a L.

I wasn't saying he is a bad coach. I just thought the quote was funny and pretty much implying that he was a sore loser. He knows the basics of BB. He just didn't want to admit that they got the L.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I think he's a good coach, one of the tops in the conference.

And I for one, hope they never hire a great one. Same with Keeler nowadays.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Hart seemed engaged throughout thru out the entire game. He was always on his feet when momentum was going our way. Hope he and the rest of the team stay engaged well into late March!
nacluth
Anyone else can't talk today? Charlie stole my voice. I hope it comes back so I can lose it Wednesday.
BigJack85
I'm pretty rough. That slam put me through the roof at Bernard Johnson. I think I said this before and if it gets deleted oh well.

Bernard Johnson - capacity 5,000
William R Johnson - capacity 7,200

Our Johnson is bigger than there Johnson.
SFAJack_76
jboy93 said:

I do like seeing Hart engaged in the locker room celebration!
I watched him on the bench. He was often the first up to celebrate a good play. His body language did sag after his one minute of play with a foul and a turnover.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.