SFA / Sam Houston

21,810 Views | 191 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pilotgirl
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (18-3, 9-1) vs. Sam Houston (15-6, 8-2)

WHEN: FEB 1 (SAT) 5:30 P.M.
WHERE: Bernard G. Johnson Coliseum (Huntsville, TX)
WATCH: ESPN3

SFA v. Sam. We're here. We knew if we played they way we could and Sam played the way they could, we would end up here. #1 against #2. Nicholls blew it last night so now they're #3. Everyone knew that this was probably the only game this conference season that the Jacks would be underdogs. Everyone has been waiting for this game. Heck, even Duke fans have been waiting for this game. This is the game to lay it all on the line and see who comes up with all the marbles. Who are the big boys of the SLC? Saturday night will sort it out.

"Now wait" you're saying. "If we lose this game we'll still be tied for first." Ok, this is true. But, this is our year. This is the Duke year. This is Kevon, John, and Nate's year. This is the year we brush off all those teams that got hope after our nightmare of a season. We have four more wins than all of last year with more than 10 to go. We are not going to play around with the Bearkats and know that we'll see them again...and that only the tourney counts. We're hungry. We want to crush them at their house. We want them wishing that they played in the SWAC. We're coming to let them know that Johnson Coliseum is our house no matter the town.

Now this isn't the Jason "Whata" Hooten team from last year that beat us by 22. (Could have been 50 but their hands got tired from all the high fives.) The Delaney brothers are gone. This is Kai Mitchell's (6'7" Sr F) team now. They play guard heavy with a lot of three shots. The distribute well, steal well, and force turnovers. Bottom line, they score. They are tied with the Jacks with a scoring average of 80.9 points per game.
They regularly play 11 men, and they all score. They do foul a lot, but their depth keeps them in games. They will not be an easy out.

It's defense that will win. The Jacks are in the unenviable position of the third worst in the nation at turning the ball over. However, we have forced more than 100 more turnovers the we have committed, but it's not enough to get 10 fast breaks in this game. We need to be locked down. We know we're getting the full Comeaux, but we need Bain, Kevon, Roti, and our bigs to play like nothing gets to go in that hoop. They did excellent against ACU with firm defense and a few fouls. The game plan will be the same as it has through the last two weeks: work the inside, deny the lane, force the point guard the wrong way, get in all the passing lanes, and don't foul too much.

All eyes are focused on this game, but our coach knows that this game affects seeding - not only at Katy- but also in the NCAA's. Lose this game and getting that 12 or 13 seed becomes a lot tougher. This game is our chance to prove that we're a solid (if not under appreciated) top 100 team. All predictions have this as a one point game with the winner depending on which site you check. The Jacks have been prepping for this test. They're ready. I'll see you in the purple sea in Huntsville.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
Excellent as usual. Win this one and we separate from the pack. Axe 'em!!!
RedRiverLa
Another stellar breakdown! Thanks Ryan
RichieVan
Sam does have a little height, but it's mostly on the bench. Their three tallest players get a combined 24 minutes per game, so Ryan is spot on, this team is very guard heavy.
Kensmil's defense will be key on Mitchell and the Jacks ability to close out the three point arc is critical.
On offense, we should be able to attack the rim all day and have an advantage on the boards. I believe they will try to take Kevon away by doubling him, so expect to see plenty of Cam. We should be able to get the ball to Kensmil in the post as well. Kensmil struggles against taller centers, but that won't be an issue against Sam.
If this becomes a battle of free throws, we will lose. Sam shoots better than 75% from the line and went 22-26 against Corpus.
TallTexan
After last season, for both basketball & personal reasons, I hope we beat the everloving snot out of these scum bags.

Let's bring the crowd & embarrass their fans too.
cboothe09
Odds have improved for Sam according to ESPN, who have the Kats a 53% favorite.

Statistically we are very similar. A big difference comes in schedules. Sam has played 6 of their first 10 at home, we will make it 7 of 11. Sam has defended their home court this year, as they are undefeated at home (Not hard when you look at who they have played: Paul Quinn, LeTourneau, Randall University, Louisiana Tech, Wiley, Northwestern State, New Orleans, Nicholls, SLU, ACU, A&MCC).

Kai Mitchell is the man, but not the only one. Zach Nutall is averaging 14.1 ppg and has proven to be a good scorer. They also have a couple of others that average just under 10 ppg. This team is good. They had Mississippi State behind the woodshed before an epic collapse. Of their six losses, only one is by double digits.

Offensively they are like us. They can be red hot where the goal opens up, and they can go ice cold from the field. They charged out to a big lead on Corpus, and quickly saw that lead evaporate. The key to winning is simple: Control the boards, guard the perimeter, limit turnovers. Hooten wants to be the best, and he took our formula and has run with it. He is going try to do to us, what we will try to do to him. We have to be better. Either we come out flat, or we come out focused and put our foot on their throats early. I want to see angry Hooten early and often.

Axe 'Em.
SFAXE93
sam is actually 10-1 at home with the one loss to Nicholls 58-70.

They went 3-19 from 3 point land in that game and 13-21 from the line.

6 of their last 9 are on the road after the SFA game, so we will see what kind of team they really are when they leave Huntsville for that stretch.
cboothe09
I stand corrected. Thanks for the heads up on the Nicholls error...

6 of their last nine are on the road, but it plays out funny. Three road, three home, three road.

@ UIW
@ Nicholls
@ SLU
vs. UCA
vs. Lamar
vs. HBU
@ ACU
@ AMCC
@ SFA

SLC goes crazy with these schedules...
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

SLC goes crazy with these schedules...
This is what happens when SLC leadership doesn't care about anything but drawing a paycheck.
jboy93

I couldn't help myself! What they will look like after Saturday night!
cboothe09
Just typed up all the conference schedules in a spreadsheet to see how much fun they have...Man it is interesting. I'll post thoughts about it in the SLC thread...
wahlwesle
If nacluth's writeup doesn't get you fired up, nothing will. That better be coach's speech before the game.
LUMBERJACK2005
Just bought my tickets, ready for the Jacks to make my prediction wrong!
sfa17
This is going to be a statement game. If we can limit our turnovers we should win. We can't go behind early.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Story in the Houston Chronicle about today's game...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/college/article/SFA-0201-15021810.php
nacluth
Game Day!!!!

Most of you are familiar with the story of the two Caddo brothers and how Nacogdoches/Natchitoches got their names, but when I was little, my dad would tell me another story as we walked around campus.

It was about the president, William R. Johnson, and how he was a historian with a heart of gold who helped build and expand SFA into the beautiful campus it is now. He would take the time to engage with the students, give back to the community, and was even known to help old ladies carry their groceries. In unanimous acclamation, the new Coliseum was named in his honor.

Most don't know that he had a brother, Bernard G. Johnson, that didn't follow the straight and narrow. A card sharp and hustler, one night he killed a man in a drunken rage. He was sentenced to death row behind the Walls in Huntsville. However, he died of natural causes before he was executed, and he became a local legend there. So much so, they named their coliseum in his honor.

There's a plaque out in front of the building that tells his story. I have never read it because I like the way my dad tells the story, so I can't verify he's got all the details correct. But I know the point of why they honor him is still true: Get out of Huntsville any way you can before your final sentence comes due.

You can go cheer the Jacks on to victory, but as all the students know, leave as soon as you can.

Axe 'em!
RichieVan
Jacks a one point favorite.
jboy93

GO JACKS!
Pilotgirl
If you are making the short trek to see BB, please come out to support the Ladies as well! They are also number 1, with Sam being #2. This is gonna be a day of great BB!
nacluth
We'll be there and we'll be loud!
BigJack85
Good explanation of the two coliseums.......LOL
nacluth
Leaving town heading to the games. If anyone else needs driving music, I offer this selection.

TallTexan
Last year for the game against Sam Houston, their PD tried to act like they were gonna file charges against me in the days after the game because I made a joke on here about convincing someone to let me run one of their twitter accounts.

Worse, they tried to say that one of our admins on this site had reported it as a security threat, which we all know is untrue.

So Sam Houston PD, if you're lurking here this weekend, just know, if you try that nonsense again, this time my lawyer will be involved. Not the first time your university has been sued for rights violations & it certainly won't be the last.

I hope our guys put an all time whooping on this university.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Leaving town heading to the games. If anyone else needs driving music, I offer this selection.

Sufficiently apocalyptic for the destination.

Only way one ends up in Huntsville is either by scheduling or sentencing, and luckily we're only on the schedule.
RichieVan
IMO, the pressure is on Sam. If they lose, they're down two games and, after today, they have six of nine on the road, we have six of nine at home.
I always thought the Jacks would be 16-4 or 17-3 in conference play. I think we can do better and I'll revise my prediction if we win today. A win puts us in the catbird seat.
I'll be sending positive vibes from 1,538 miles away.
Axe 'em Jacks!
jboy93
Had the unfortunate experience of living there right after I left SFA...with a job and not as a guest of the Texas correctional department I might say! Only good thing was that it was close to Houston. Got out as soon as I could!
Pilotgirl
Calvin has the flu
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Last year for the game against Sam Houston, their PD tried to act like they were gonna file charges against me in the days after the game because I made a joke on here about convincing someone to let me run one of their twitter accounts.

Worse, they tried to say that one of our admins on this site had reported it as a security threat, which we all know is untrue.

So Sam Houston PD, if you're lurking here this weekend, just know, if you try that nonsense again, this time my lawyer will be involved. Not the first time your university has been sued for rights violations & it certainly won't be the last.

I hope our guys put an all time whooping on this university.

I remember this!
TallTexan
It was absolutely bonkers. I wont say who, but someone let my mom know that they had went so far as to find our previous addresses & wanted to start an investigation.

Mom was freaking out, I was like "let them try to do something about it".

Pretty sure I have a file at Sam Houston now. Then again, they say you've gotta be intelligent to understand humor, so I'm not surprised they didn't get the joke. Wonder if they have me listed with an alias. I always wanted an alias.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Calvin has the flu

Just heard that Cam is at a funeral.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Calvin has the flu

Man, Zivney better be ready on deck for this game.

Hate to hear that, feel for Cam.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Calvin has the flu

Oh damn this game just got a whole lot more difficult.
SFAJack_76
With Calvin and Cam out, is Hart prepared to contribute?

This tough game has gotten much tougher.
purpleballs
Hart has a chance to show his worth. Hope he doesn't try to do too much. Maybe Daniels gets some of those minutes and we can have two athletic bigs in court together. Was actually Bain's job to begin with so I'm fine with him getting a few more minutes. Now Cam being out is a whole different story.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.