SFA / Abilene Christian

20,572 Views | 193 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by No-look
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (17-3, 8-1) vs. Abilene Christian (11-8, 6-2)

WHEN: JAN 29 (WED) 7:30 P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

Two down, three to go as SFA tours through a stretch of the toughest Southland teams. As it's slated as of today, we play 4th place ACU, 3rd place Sam, and 2nd place Nicholls in that order over the next 8 days. Three games to put SFA's definitive stamp on this season and distance between us and our rivals. Now the reality is that there's not 3 games ahead of us, there's at least 13 if we want to go to the NCAA's. But all that matters now is the game tomorrow. The grind starts here.

Abilene Christian is built like a basketball team should be. Good point guard, strong and physical shooting guards, deep bench, and a big 7 footer that half the time knows what a basketball is for. They play aggressive perimeter defense and deny the ball inside. Like Lamar, they don't consider shooting outside first. They pound the paint and try to break down the interior. They steal and turnover at a rate just slower than SFA. If there's a weakness to their game, it's that they foul a lot. (OK, not as much as us, but close)

Peyten Ricks (6'2" Sr. G) is hands down one of the best small guards in the conference. He will be a SLC first teamer unless something tragic happens. Last time out, ACU by all rights should have lost in Conway down three with 1 second left. Ricks is fouled on the desperation three, drills his three free throws, then nails the final layup to win in OT. Matched with Joe Pleasant (6'8" So. F), they have one of the best 1-2 punches in the league. Big boy Kolton Kohl (7' Jr. C) does an okay job pushing his men around. Like all giants, sometimes he looks like his body has never caught a tiny ball before, but our bigs will again have to work hard.

Last year in Nac, three players scored all but 4 points for SFA. That will not happen this year. To beat the Wildcats, we're going to need full bench cooperation. O, Samazha, Charlie, and to be honest Cam have been struggling in the last few road games. We need everyone to feel the love at home.

Expect Keller to force the interior to work over ACU's zone play. However, unlike in the past, I think we will have free rein to shoot from distance. Breaking the perimeter pressure is going to be key. Shutting down Ricks' game will be a priority, but he will still get his points. Forcing him to pass to less competent teammates will be the game.

If Kevon gets more than 7 minutes of rest, we win this one. Rotation will be key, but SFA will pick it up at home. They're hungry.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
If ACUCattitude stops by, give us a little run down of what's been going right with your team this year and what you expect of this game.

ACU is at the end of a tough road stretch too. OT loss at Sam, followed by an OT win at UCA, followed by coming to Nac. Everyone knows what this game means.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
RichieVan
Couple of keys this game: We can't put Ricks on the foul line, and we must make him give up the ball. We should make a concerted effort to get the ball inside, since ACU doesn't have any size beyond their starters Pleasant and Kohl. Any foul trouble by Pleasant and Kohl and that makes an already evenly matched interior become a huge Jack advantage.
Kohl, for all his size, only averages 4.6 rebounds per game. Not great for a seven footer although he only average 19 minutes a game. The team shoots below average from three (29.9%).
We match up well physically with ACU, and Keller should have his team push the pace and take advantage of our speed. The key for us is to make a few threes early to force them to man to man or extend their zone.
How we perform in the half court set will determine the game.
SFAXE93
Of course opposing teams always seem to become perimeter shooting world beaters when playing SFA.
cboothe09
Looking at the numbers ESPN posts, they are built very similarly to us. I think the equalizer will be the fact this is the third straight road game for ACU and they have played back-to-back in overtime. Not to say this will be an easy win, because ACU plays a physical grinding style, but being back at home will be a big help. As long as we keep throwing more bodies out there than they can, we should have the legs to get the win down the stretch...

Watching the ACU/SHSU game, Golding might be the one coach more animated than Hooten in the SLC. He will be a fun watch on the sideline...
SFAJack_76
Kensmil couldn't finish the Lamar game because of an ankle. Daniels is still working his way back from the concussion time out. Solomon is not strong on the offensive end. The lightbulb hasn't come on yet for Hart. It will be interesting to see how our inside game holds up.
SFAJack_76
Why would they schedule this the same night? Part of the problem.
nacluth
Perfect.
purpleballs
I wish more students would get behind this team. They don't know how good they have it with this program being where it is right now. When I was there, 89-94 ( yes I realize that is 5 years) basketball was not very good at that time. It's kind of sad turning the tv on and seeing all those empty seats.
nacluth
Opening at about 9 point favorites. Seems just a tad high.
KirkHeath12
SFA 9 point favorite tonight. Did not think it would be that high
Class of 2012
Axe Em
jboy93

Let's GO JACKS!
TallTexan
jboy93 said:

Let's GO JACKS!
Double header too!
cboothe09
Abilene Christian has 7 DI wins this year. Only one of those came outside of conference play (73-64 over SE Missouri State).

I think ACU has vastly improved over the course of the season. I think they are a legit contender. They have won on the road this year, which has been their biggest hurdle since joining the SLC. That said, their four road games came at the expense of UNO (2-8), Lamar (4-6), Sam Houston (7-2), and UCA (4-5). They are yet to beat a team with a winning record on the road.

I feel good about our chances, but this will be a tough one for a while. I think we pull away late here...Then we can focus on Saturday...
No-look
We need to start strong early. No room for come back victory in this one. Gotta win the home games against the top teams. We can win this one!
Pilotgirl
I wish I could be in Nac for this one (for BOTH games).... stupid work! I think this is a MUST win. We are at home and the next 2 games get even tougher. We need a solid win, IMO. And we will start warming up middle to end of 1st half because that is our MO. I've accepted the fact that my blood pressure will rise to dangerous levels when I watch them play. BUT CAN WE PLEASE MAKE THE FREE THROW SHOTS
Pilotgirl
The Ladies game will be interesting to watch as well. What an exciting day to be a Lumberjack and basketball fan!
TallTexan
Whyd they double stack the games today? I like it!

Just curious
TallTexan
The gang's all here warming up. Gavin looks to be moving gingerly.
nacluth
I'll get to join the fun after halftime.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I'll get to join the fun after halftime.

Need to update my prediction to account for a slow start then I guess.
TallTexan
Is 34 good or is he a first off the bus for intimidation guy?

He looks like he could be a problem.
nacluth
TallTexan said:

Kohl is good for a 7 footer, but he's no major shot blocker or rebounder really. He can clear a lane though.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

TallTexan said:

Kohl is good for a 7 footer, but he's no major shot blocker or rebounder really. He can clear a lane though.

Oh good. I was worried about the blocks and rebounds.
jboy93
Thanks Ed for the tickets! Let's go Jacks
MasterAxe
Anyone there for a crowd update?

Looks decent on TV.
jboy93
Probably 4k plus. Not bad. Good energy so far!
nacluth
Forcing fouls. Keep it going.
nacluth
Cam more active. Kensmil having to sit a long time.
MasterAxe
At some point during the year, Kensmil's hands turned into cinder blocks.
TallTexan
That was a heck of a defensive play by John, even if the ref 30 foot behind the play ruined it.
cboothe09
Not a pretty game. Not playing bad, just a little sloppy right now.
nacluth
Pretty fast pace right now. Who's legs will last?
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Not a pretty game. Not playing bad, just a little sloppy right now.

Pretty high energy though.

ACU going small lineup here, need to make them pay for it.
cboothe09
Definitely. Guys are flying all over the place, but a little reckless at times. Bad cross court passes and just silly mistakes. I do like the aggressive play

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.