SFA / Texas A&M - Corpus Christi

21,933 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nacluth
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How was that not a foul?
BigJack85
I thought that was supposed to be a layup........
cboothe09
BS
RedRiverLa
That was our play after two timeouts?
cboothe09
Not gonna get a call on the last play...
nacluth
At least they weren't 27.5 point dogs.
cboothe09
Forced the ball to Kevon when Corpus knew thats where it was going. He was going to be doubled. I would have felt better sneaking the ball to Cam...
cboothe09
I knew we would likely drop a game at some point, but not at home. That is what pisses me off. Crap games happen, but we shouldn't lose to a team like that at home. I wouldn't be as upset if this loss happened in Corpus...
RedRiverLa
Didn't deserve to win anyway - so much for the fear in coming to "The Sawmill" - the door is open for all other coaches to use this as motivation.
jflandis
Bad execution at the end doesn't excuse being outplayed at home for the entire game. I am optimistic about the season but nothing will be given. The team will have to earn it with big time effort every game. Hopefully, this give coach the fuel to motivate this team for the heart of conference play. They are likely still feeling themselves a little bit after knocking off a big time team earlier in the year.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Not gonna get a call on the last play...

We didn't get one all night, but that was egregious on the last play.
sfa17
shouldn't have been in that position to begin with, maybe we were all too focused on the 1 AP vote. The league race is not over yet.
SFA Jack Fanatic
AMCC shot 58.1% from the field, 58.8% from three, and 92.9% from the free-throw line. Hard to beat a team -- any team -- when they do that. A poor first half is what did us in, though.

Rematch on February 12.
BigJack85
jflandis said:

Bad execution at the end doesn't excuse being outplayed at home for the entire game. I am optimistic about the season but nothing will be given. The team will have to earn it with big time effort every game. Hopefully, this give coach the fuel to motivate this team for the heart of conference play. They are likely still feeling themselves a little bit after knocking off a big time team earlier in the year.

Ya. Just the extended stents of lackluster play on both ends.
RedRiverLa
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

AMCC shot 58.1% from the field, 58.8% from three, and 92.9% from the free-throw line. Hard to beat a team -- any team -- when they do that. A poor first half is what did us in, though.

Rematch on February 12.
Exactly. The only way to stop that is to not leave them open for 3s, or layups, or fouling 20 ft. from the basket.
MasterAxe
The following things are all true:

(1) In past years, I would have gone ballistic on the message boards about Keller's ineptitude
(2) I've mellowed out in 2020
(3) Worst game of the year
(4) Our first conference loss was always going to be "the worst loss of the year."
(5) I never expected 20-0 anyways
(6) I never expected to lose at home to TAMU-CC (Who has won 3 of last 4 over us, I believe)
(7) That inbounds play...puke
(8) We're still the favorites
(9) They went 13-14 shooting FT's, we went 19-27...ballgame.
(10) Knowing that we still can play that poorly against a bad team terrifies me...especially at Katy.
(11) Next game at UCA...huge early season showdown.
(12) There goes our lone AP vote
(13) There goes our Mid-Major Madness poll appearance

Bonus truth: I ain't even mad. Disappointed, sure, but mad, nope. Not worth it. We're so vastly better than last year. I have full faith we will rip off another good streak here. I said 16-4 or 17-3 was realistic in SLC...still feel the same.
No-look
First half I got us.
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Forced the ball to Kevon when Corpus knew thats where it was going. He was going to be doubled. I would have felt better sneaking the ball to Cam...

I agree. Or set a pick for Roti to try a three.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Rematch on February 12.

That combined with a bad night on our side. Atleast it's all fixable.

Seriously they could not miss from 3. Contested shots, long shots, all seemed to go in.
PurpleOut
Staff
Stupid. Stupid because Corpus will never play that good again. So frustrating.

But even with them playing so well offensively, we killed ourselves. Terrible mistakes in the first half, Bain looked like he'd never played before, 8 missed FTs, and how about that lane violation that got them 2 FTs?

I hate this.
PurpleOut
Staff
And yeah I don't understand that inbounds play either. At all. Very little chance to execute out of that.
Pilotgirl
MasterAxe said:

The following things are all true:

(1) In past years, I would have gone ballistic on the message boards about Keller's ineptitude
(2) I've mellowed out in 2020
(3) Worst game of the year
(4) Our first conference loss was always going to be "the worst loss of the year."
(5) I never expected 20-0 anyways
(6) I never expected to lose at home to TAMU-CC (Who has won 3 of last 4 over us, I believe)
(7) That inbounds play...puke
(8) We're still the favorites
(10) Knowing that we still can play that poorly against a bad team terrifies me...especially at Katy.
(11) Next game at UCA...huge early season showdown.
(12) There goes our lone AP vote
(13) There goes our Mid-Major Madness poll appearance

Bonus truth: I ain't even mad. Disappointed, sure, but mad, nope. Not worth it. We're so vastly better than last year. I have full faith we will rip off another good streak here. I said 16-4 or 17-3 was realistic in SLC...still feel the same.

MasterAxe being more positive then me? Gotta write that down! But in seriousness, I hope this lights a fire under their a**es and play tough every game.
RedRiverLa
MasterAxe said:

That's it...truth. Kevon looked like Shaq at the line..
PurpleOut
Staff
Also wanted to shout out the terrible crowd tonight. The only time I heard them on tv was of course when WE had the ball and they started chanting SFA. Looked dead all game.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Logjam at the top...

4-1 - SFA, Prison Tech, Nicholls
3-1 - ACU
cboothe09
Or a midrange jumper from Roti. Dude kills it with that 9 footer
RedRiverLa
The L sucks enough, but when you sit down in front of the TV expecting to enjoy your team put away a subpar squad early, and then you have to endure that type of play and nail biter and you keep repeating 'how is this happening' - that sucks even worse. And remember, I'm a Saints fan - so this entire week is basically Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! (i.e. W.T.F.)
RedRiverLa
Definitely, Kevon got the double team on the last play - dish it elsewhere.
TheRevSFA
When did our fans become such **** fans? You're at a basketball game. Get the **** up and get loud
RedRiverLa
Tonight felt like last year. It's not, just had a flashback.
PurpleOut
Staff
RedRiverLa said:

Tonight felt like last year. It's not, just had a flashback.
I was saying that all night. We made a ton of similar mistakes on both ends of the court, especially in the first half.

Last year we got murdered off of the inbounds play where we don't follow the guy that threw the ball in and they get a wide open three. That happened tonight and I cussed out the tv.

This team has a different makeup though, so I expect a change.
No-look
We turned it over first four out of five possessions to start the game and they were nailing threes. Props to AMCC. We beat ourselves first and they beat us second half. Everyone talking about CC being subpar but they looked decent to me. Their bigs played well and hit some threes and guards shot it well...too well.
PurpleOut
Staff
That big of theirs that hit the three was the first of the season and 3rd of his career. They all played extremely well tonight, unfortunately. And we still should have won.
TallTexan
We need to ditch the Murphy's law games. This team is good enough to overcome a lot of headwinds, like bad free throw shooting, bad defense, bad refs, bad offense, but when 4 or more things go wrong, you're asking for trouble.
nacluth
I've been pretty sure we were going to drop 2-4 games in conference. I didn't expect this one, but I figured there would be at least one head scratcher. However, this was bad team play tonight. We don't win when we don't play as a team. I'm sanguine for now, but our bye week needs to see some refocusing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.