SFA / Arlington Baptist

19,023 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (6-1) vs. Arlington Baptist (0-7)

WHEN: DEC 2 (MON) 6:30 P.M.
WHERE: William R. Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

Coming off the biggest week publicity-wise in SFA's recent history, the Jacks are back in Nacogdoches to face the mighty NCCAA foe Arlington Baptist. Well maybe not so mighty. Their record says that they are 0-7, but that's only counting NCCAA competition. Against all opponents they are 0-12, and against D1 teams, the scores haven't been close. McNeese won by 52, Lamar by 55, and ACU beat them by 61. No team member over 6' 5". There's not a Duke's chance in hell that SFA will lose this game.

But, there's a good reason to not expect SFA to just go all out to destroy Arlington Baptist like the other SLC teams. Many teams use these games to build confidence and to get their fanbase behind the program. The Jacks are already there. Last week took care of that. Look for Keller to work rotations, try different looks on offense and ball handling, and maybe even get some of those missing players some game time. Maybe there's not much to say about another game to check off until Friday's game at Alabama, but we all know that any chance to practice and lock things in give the Lumberjacks a better chance as the pressure builds these next few weeks.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
Should be a fun filled atmosphere at the woodshed! I want to see some SFA/Duke highlights on the big screen. I can feel the electricity as I'm typing. Pack it out!
BigJack85
I hope they save some of those highlights for the season ending game against Sam.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Game day!!! It's time to congratulate your Jacks in person.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Rev007
I'll be at the game tonight. I'm hoping to see Kharee get some minutes.
jboy93
Can't make the drive tonight but sure hope the students and Nac come out to show the team some love!
sfajack05
I hope there is a good turn out by the students tonight. The team definitely deserves it. I know Arlington Baptist doesn't really move the needle but this is a special team. Hoping to see the student section a little more energetic. They look like they are in a church service with all the constant standing and sitting they do.

As far as the game I want to see Hart and Walker get going. They could be some x-factors later in the season.

Also no injuries.
MasterAxe
I would have been way ok if we just cancelled this game.

Y'all know my position, these games are worthless. I pray to the high heavens we don't get anyone hurt.
sfajack05
We got 7 votes in the AP Poll.
sfa17
sfajack05 said:

We got 7 votes in the AP Poll.
That is 7 more than mid major madness's poll lol
nacluth
Receiving votes! I'll take it.

I would be the first to say that this schedule was never one in which I thought we could be ranked even if we had gone undefeated, but I'll take any love there is out there.
SFAJack_76
MasterAxe said:

Y'all know my position, these games are worthless. I pray to the high heavens we don't get anyone hurt.
Disagree with you on this with the still relative newness of this team. They get more from games than practice. The freshmen need PT. I see a lot of value in these games for this team.
SFAJack_76
And, they get to deal with this guy.
nacluth
Not a bad week for Kevon.
MasterAxe
SFAJack_76 said:

MasterAxe said:

Disagree with you on this with the still relative newness of this team. They get more from games than practice. The freshmen need PT. I see a lot of value in these games for this team.
We're just gonna have to agree to disagree. We want to hold our program to a high standard and be considered as one of the best...yet, were playing a non NCAA team. We could get a 10 man squad from intramural leagues that would be a better test. I get the "game experience" thing, I do, but these teams are INFINITELY worse than any team we will play this year...and we just had the all time "game experience" for our guys at Cameron.

I hate these games.
sfajack05
MasterAxe said:

SFAJack_76 said:

MasterAxe said:

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree. We want to hold our program to a high standard and be considered as one of the best...yet, were playing a non NCAA team. We could get a 10 man squad from intramural leagues that would be a better test. I get the "game experience" thing, I do, but these teams are INFINITELY worse than any team we will play this year...and we just had the all time "game experience" for our guys at Cameron.

I hate these games.
Expect to see more next year when other programs don't want to play us because of the Duke game.
MasterAxe
sfajack05 said:

MasterAxe said:

SFAJack_76 said:

MasterAxe said:

I hate these games.
Expect to see more next year when other programs don't want to play us because of the Duke game.
Isn't that the catch-22. We really could make a decent OOC out of just the Texas schools if they would man up. Rice, UTSA, UTA, SMU, AGGIE, UT, BAYLOR, TCU, UTEP, UNT, UH etc...

They don't want this smoke.

Danny Kaspar and Brad did enough damage to these schools that Keller is being punished for it lol.
TallTexan
It's a real challenge in college basketball as a succesful mid major.

We really need to get with the other cinderellas that have trouble scheduling and play each other. We'd still have to fill with the occasional Arlington Baptist team, but it would provide a better schedule for us all.

Maybe we should host a tournament as well.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

It's a real challenge in college basketball as a succesful mid major.

We really need to get with the other cinderellas that have trouble scheduling and play each other. We'd still have to fill with the occasional Arlington Baptist team, but it would provide a better schedule for us all.

Maybe we should host a tournament as well.
Not a bad idea. You know we're not the only ones struggling with OOC. Even if we traveled to a tournament, like the Ireland trip, that would be ideal.

I wonder why we didnt do something like that again? I wonder if a big year this year can get us into some of these tournaments more regularly?
SFASawmillGuy
Our home home with Northern Iowa was a fun one(not the result). It was a big enough game to get us national TV exposure and I loved the "Tuttle sucks" chants that roared through the coliseum.
SFAJack_76
Volleyball has hosted a tournament for years. Not this year because Humphreys couldn't get teams to come to Nacogdoches. I believe she has enough commitments to have one next season. Remember that we had zero home non conference games this season. This isn't location. How many D1 schools are there within four hours of Nacogdoches?

I agree that Arlington Baptist is not who we want on our schedule. It is better than an open date though.
sfajack05
Someone should set up a Texas Classic for Thanksgiving and have 8 teams come every year. Play it in Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio or hell SFA could host it and make it their own. SFA, Texas State, UTA, UTSA, Texas Southern, Rice, UNT, and TCU. Invite the "big" boys (Tech, UT, A&M, UH) if you want.

Even better do it like a tournament so the first couple games are on campus then have the final four in one of the major cities during the week. Just a thought. I know this has absolutely nothing to do with the game tonight.

Anyways Go Jacks!
SFASawmillGuy
Btw. We have a vote in the coaches poll as well.

The only polls we aren't receiving votes in is the MMM one.
RedRiverLa
Louisiana is in the house (that's us) where is everybody. 25 minutes to go and it's us and 50 other people. Come on nac.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
RedRiverLa
FYI, no rosters available. Guy said Arlington baptist is changing their roster weekly so they just gave up in trying to print one. Oh, and a pet peeve, 20 minutes before tipoff and they still dont have any hot dogs ready at any concession stand. Is F&B still asleep on the couch from the break?
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
Students showing up, community, not so much. Hopefully late arriving.
Lumberjack Battalion
Ljacks&Longnecks
RedRiver, can you see Bain....does he look okay after going down??
RedRiverLa
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

RedRiver, can you see Bain....does he look okay after going down??

He does. Think they're just taking a precaution, he's sitting on bench no trainers around, walking around fine during TO
Lumberjack Battalion
nacluth
I just had three hot dogs. And Roti Ware everybody.
Ljacks&Longnecks
That's what we need to see from Ware, some confidence and a little swagger would do him good.
TallTexan
Bain's gotta have elastic ankles at this point. Just walked it off.
nacluth
Beat Duke and you get the best crowd of the year - even against Arlington Baptist. You have to think this is the best crowd AB will see all year.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Good to see Walker, Hart and Solomon getting lots of minutes Ware also.
Maybe McDaniel?
nacluth
Zivney in but Kharee still sitting.
TallTexan
If we're playing Zivney, certainly we're redshirting Kharee right?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.