SFA / Arkansas State

16,496 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pilotgirl
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (5-1) vs. Arkansas St. (5-1)

WHEN: NOV 30 (SAT) 4:00 P.M.
WHERE: First National Bank Arena (Jonesboro, AR)
WATCH: Facebook Live (Ark. St.)

Where to start... I guess here. This is the trap game of the century.

You might have heard what happened earlier this week. My flight got delayed traveling for Thanksgiving. And we beat some team who has a Coach K of their own. National media has been dying for a feel good story for the holidays, and the Lumberjacks provided it. Nathan Bain is now an international celebrity. Who would have thought? What a difference a week makes.

The Lumberjacks will travel on Black Friday to meet the Arkansas St. Red Wolves of the Sun Belt Saturday afternoon. There is no chance they are prepared for this game. It's been too much. Pure bedlam for this team. But, the game must be played. Your guess is as good as mine about how well the Jacks can bounce back, but one thing's for sure: I will not pick against the Jacks again this season. They CAN beat anyone.

Arkansas State is 5-1 playing an okay pass the ball style of play. Their last game, a week and a half ago, was their best win of the season - a two point squeaker against KenPom 130ish Colorado St on the road. They have four guys who average double digit points and are led mainly by upperclassmen. They live and die by the three, but they're pretty good at it (almost 40%), so they have been living. Especially at home where they are undefeated.

The Red Wolves are no Duke. On paper, the Jacks are better in about every area except deep balls. But, the Jacks are going to have to play tough, and we'll see if they have the legs for it after a tough game and Thanksgiving stuffing. You know these Wolves want to pounce.

Kevon proved that when the stage is big, he can step up. Can a Saturday matinee on Facebook Live get his attention? Kensmil is enough to move anyone around the bucket, can he control the glass in this game? Our freshmen looked good on Tuesday. Can they play with intensity on Saturday?

This team is all questions after such a definitive statement game. I'm betting on the Jacks though. They are more resilient than Evansville, and Duke wasn't a fluke.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
Facebook live?
Ljacks&Longnecks
Looks like you are right on the mark again Ryan...this will be a tough game as we come down from the big Tuesday high and attempt to get back to bb reality. Ark St knows who we just defeated so they or no other team will go to sleep on us this year. Plus we often struggle against teams that can hit the 3 and Ark St does hit them.
Guys will have to shake off the dream game and bring their A game with them to get this done.
Let's do this...
cboothe09
Looking at Arkansas State's schedule, it hasn't exactly been world beaters...Two road games and just two games against teams with winning records (Ole Miss & Colorado State).
ASU 65 - Arkansas Monticello 49 (@ ASU)
ASU 43 - Ole Miss 71 (@ Ole Miss)
ASU 71 - VMI 56 (@ ASU)
ASU 80 - UC Davis 67 (@ ASU)
ASU 82 - Idaho 68 (@ ASU)
ASU 80 - Colorado State 78 (@ CSU)

Other stats...
PPG 70.2 Points Allowed 64.8
FGP 48.3 FG Allowed 44.5
3FG 38.9 3P Allowed .298
RPG 32.7 R Allowed 31.2
Turnovers 13.5 Turnovers Forced 15.2

Canberk is the leader averaging 13.5 ppg and 6.5 rpg in 28.2 minutes. Fields is second with 12.6 ppg in 29.4 minutes. Eaton (11.8 ppg) and Matthews (10.3 ppg) also average double digit scoring. Rotation isn't deep with six guys averaging over 20 minutes a game, and just three others getting over 10 minutes a game. Red Wolves don't get to the free throw line much with just 107 attempts this year, compared to 140 for us. Fun fact: It was mentioned ASU lives and dies by the three pointer. ASU is 37-95 from behind the arc. SFA is 33-100. Opposing teams are 42-115 (.365) against SFA this year.

On paper we are hands down the better team. This game will come down to controlling our emotions. We cannot expect teams to roll over and play dead because we beat Duke. We will have to come out focused. Guard the perimeter, control the boards, and I think we handle this game comfortably...
Pilotgirl
Why am I so nervous!? Ughhhh We played friggin Duke and won! If WE set the pace & play our game, it's a win.
sfa17
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kait8.com/2019/11/28/arkansas-state-mens-basketball-preps-home-matchup-with-stephen-f-austin/%3foutputType=amp

End of Video says the game is on astateredwolves.com

Which seems to be a paid subscription ..

Edit: never mind, it says Facebook live on their site
http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=211816572
sfa17
Yeah, I'm also very nervous. We have to keep it up or the win means a lot less. Now we have a target on our backs.
cboothe09
Looking strictly at numbers according to Haslametrics SFA should win 84.89-75.52.

I think it will be a bigger win than that, but we will see...Fun stuff to play with there and see how we stack up against different teams according to the numbers
Ballwatch
cboothe09 said:

Looking strictly at numbers according to Haslametrics SFA should win 84.89-75.52.

I think it will be a bigger win than that, but we will see...Fun stuff to play with there and see how we stack up against different teams according to the numbers

Hey so is that how you come up with your score predictions?! I see I see
cboothe09
Not saying I've never done that, but didnt make my prediction on that this week. I actually think qe win comfortably.
nacluth
So much for respect from computers, Vegas, or ESPN after beating Duke. Even money line by the way.

nacluth
Game day!!!!

SFA Jack Fanatic
The Jacks did a decent job of protecting the three against Duke. They can do it again.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

So much for respect from computers, Vegas, or ESPN after beating Duke. Even money line by the way.

That surprises the heck out of me!
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Game day!!!!

I just love the hands-on-heads and hands-on-faces in the crowd in this photo.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BTW, I'll be shocked if ASU plays a man-to-man defense at any point in this game. They will pack the paint.
wahlwesle
I, too, am worried that we are still too high from Tuesday to focus on today's game, but I also know it could make us play like we can't be beat. In the words of Lil' John, "confidence is a stain they can't wipe off." Axe everybody.
purpleballs
This pic will be added to the rotation of new screensavers that will be projected in my class.
TallTexan
Wouldn't be surprised to see a letdown game today. Sports psychology is weird!

That said, we're gonna learn a lot today about whether this is a good team or a potentially great team.

But I think we're gonna win.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

That surprises the heck out of me!
Not really surprised. On the road with a seven hour or so bus ride yesterday. Assuming they bussed. And, after a game that has taken a lot of focus and energy away. We did lose to Rutgers, although they may be better than most thought. Hope Comeaux is fully recovered. Full body cramps are no joke.
No-look
Can this game be watched on a smart tv with Facebook live?
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

Game day!!!!

I just love the hands-on-heads and hands-on-faces in the crowd in this photo.
Classic!!!
nacluth
purpleballs said:

This pic will be added to the rotation of new screensavers that will be projected in my class.
I cropped this shot out of the gif of his bucket, but SFA's twittter account has some nice shots.
Pilotgirl
No-look said:

Can this game be watched on a smart tv with Facebook live?

I was gonna try Smart Cast to see if that woukd work
jboy93
If we can contest their 3's we will be good. Looking forward to our senior leadership getting the guy's ready to play and staying focused! GO JACK!
SFASawmillGuy
We also had an awful game shooting against Rutgers. That was a game we really should have won by 10+ but couldn't buy a shot. Basketball is like that sometimes.
I'll chalk that one up to that until I see more proof otherwise.
Ballwatch
Anyone have direct link to the live stream?
Pilotgirl
Ballwatch said:

It's just supposed to be on Ark State BB facebook page but can't find that confirmed anywhere. If it isn't streamed, well, that's just JANK.
PurpleForever
"We apologize for the inconvenience, but there will be no live stream of today's game against SFA due to technical difficulties. Listen on 107.9 KFIN and follow live stats. #WolvesUp

Stats: bit.ly/2Y3POdG
Live audio:http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=211651962&DB_OEM_ID=7200"

Quote from their FB. Looks like no live stream today.
Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl said:

Ballwatch said:

It's just supposed to be on Ark State BB facebook page but can't find that confirmed anywhere. If it isn't streamed, well, that's just JANK.

Just as I figured: JANK. Maybe they don't want this game shown to the public. Their fans have talked anout how low attendance is. One Ark St. Fan convinced 8 friends to come with him to see the team that beat Duke.
No-look
Sounds like we are flat.
jboy93
One FG in 8 minutes certainly won't win any games!
Pilotgirl
Sounds like we are struggling with our shots. And fouling a lot. 13 to 6. 12;35
TallTexan
Atleast Rob Adams is great. But it's dumb that in 2019 it's such a pain in the rear to watch sports.
No-look
Pilotgirl said:

Sounds like we are struggling with our shots. And fouling a lot. 13 to 6. 12;35
time to pick it up
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.