SFA / Drexel

15,723 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LUMBERJACK2005
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

Drexel coach has lost it. There's been a little too much home cooking for him.

I thought this ref crew did a decent job, minus the foul they missed that sent Kevon sliding.

Noticeably better than most of the crews we have.
nacluth
Harris: 18 pts, 8 rebs, 1 stl, 1 ast
Johnson: 18 pts, 2 rebs, 3 stl, 1 ast
Comeaux: 15 pts, 6 stl, 7 ast
Kensmil: 14 pts, 6 rebs, 1 stl, 1 ast, 1 blk
Solomon: 3 pts, 10 rebs, 3 stl, 1 ast, 1 blk
No-look
nacluth said:

Solomon is probably averaging 10 rebounds a game.
nacluth
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

I thought this ref crew did a decent job, minus the foul they missed that sent Kevon sliding.

There were two questionable calls back to back on who touched the ball last on out of bounds plus a walk on Oddyst not called in about a minute. While there were plenty of calls the other way, his team was trying to make a push and those calls really killed their momentum.

The second out of bounds call I laughed at/with the coach. We have been on the wrong side of too many with SLC crews. However like you, I thought they generally did fine - which is why three guys fouled out.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

What's the deal with Hart and McDaniels not playing?

Still haven't heard. For them both to be out I'm guessing it was something like being late to practice.
McDaniel was limping significantly. Looked like he was favoring his left knee.
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

nacluth said:

Solomon is probably averaging 10 rebounds a game.
CertifiedAxeman98
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

I completely agree best refs I have seen in the SLC in a long time. I hope we have them a lot more the other crew completely suck and we end up with them way to much.
No-look
Where is the post game commentary? Wasn't one from Niagra game either. I need spoon fed. Lol
Ljacks&Longnecks
Lots to like about the Drexel performance. Almost everyone seemed on their game, team play is improving game by game. Cam Johnson really looking good as is the pure freshman Solomon....he just needs to adjust his shot, noticed 2-3 times his shots were just a bit short.
There is always more work to do but if they continue to play like yesterday, that could be the springboard to a very strong season (avoiding too many injuries of course).
nacluth
No-look said:

Where is the post game commentary? Wasn't one from Niagra game either. I need spoon fed. Lol
Yeah, I'm really hoping to get more post-game pressers from SFA/Keller. They did one after the LeTourneau game, but nothing since that I have seen. But, since you want some commentary, I'll throw out some until someone more knowledgeable wants to say something.

I had the luxury of sitting at half court three rows up and seeing all the action close up. The first thing I noticed was the hustle.

Our guys came out to win from the beginning. They were flying. They did not stop flying. Keller was yelling at the points (Comeaux and Kachelries) to push the ball fast into the offensive court. He did not want them to stop until they got close to the foul line. It was punishing to Drexel because they couldn't get their defense set. In went John and pushing his defender all the way into the lane, then dumping it in to Kensmil or out to the wing. Over and over. It took Juric their point guard out of the defense. Keller was constantly calling out sets.

On defense, it took a few possessions to get the feel of Drexel's offensive flow, but once they did, they locked it down. Bain and Comeaux initially, but soon Solomon and Johnson were getting into the mix. Calvin owned the ten minutes leading into the half. He was flying, diving, and swatting everything. He is a phenomenal talent, and it is exciting to see him up close. I don't know if I've ever been so impressed by a freshman. In Kevon's first few games, I knew he would be a beast, but Solomon has a killer defensive game now. That is almost unimaginable.

Kensmil is a wrecking ball...and he can move around the bucket. He is what we've been missing since Leon and TJ left but bigger! He could move their bigs at will. He doesn't always score, but he's a force around both buckets. We will win the inside battle just because of him. A huge get.

Comeaux was incredible. He played his heart out. If we can see the level of control he had yesterday every game, he will wreck shop come conference. I can't say enough about his passion and how well he played. Like I said yesterday, his stats said 6 steals, but he blew up up tons of possessions. It was incalculable.

Johnson and Harris are two very opportunistic players. I'm impressed with Cam's offensive intensity. He picks the weak spot and digs in. He knows where to be. Kevon is just scrappy and gets his points where he can.

I thought overall, this was the best coached game I had seen in a long time. Keller was very engaged, and I thought his responses to play were immediate and effectual. It was a complete game. Honestly, I can't remember seeing such a complete game. I hope to see a couple more real soon.
Rev007
Thank you nacluth for the thorough post game analysis.

Like you, I'm excited about Solomon's potential. Even though he hasn't shown any offensive game so far, he remains a defensive stalwart and superior rebounder. I also like the positive attitude he possesses.

John Comeaux played an unbelievable game. I worry about him playing so hard with reckless abandon. It's fun to watch, but I want him to have an injury free senior season.

Cam Johnson is becoming one of my favorites. Like Solomon, he hustles and has a positive attitude. Although his shot is not pure, he knows how to get to the bucket and make layups and dunks with his high flying ability.

Kensmil is huge, but not that tall. When we make it to the NCAA tournament, he might have his hands full guarding 6'10" and above, but let's cross that bridge when we get there. Currently, he is exhibiting a great post move in which he establishes a position on the low block and then pivots to the left side of the basket and makes a left handed layup. It's almost impossible to block because of his wide frame and his use of the goal to shield the defender. Has anyone noticed that his hands are getting better?

Khree McDaniel - We need this guy in the floor. Hopefully, John will take him under his wing. McDaniel can be a difference maker, especially defensively. We need more than John to harass the opponent ball handlers.

How did we get so many talented players to sign with us after last year's debacle? Is it primarily Coach Mason who is bringing in the talent? Whoever is responsible....Thank you!
No-look
I watched Kharee and Calvin at the state tourney. I can remember wishing they were at SFA. I believe Kline Forrest would have won the championship game if Calvin hadn't fouled out late. I was wishing they could be a Jack... little did I know. Lol.
No-look
Thanks for the game breakdown nacluth. Good stuff.
LUMBERJACK2005
SFAJack_76 said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Don't know who this announcer is (since Meyers was with football) but he didn't even catch the technical on the Drexel coach.

Bobby Mauro. He does the Ladyjack games.
He started the game by saying "almost ready for kickoff.."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.