SFA / Drexel

15,751 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LUMBERJACK2005
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (3-0) vs. Drexel (2-2)

WHEN: NOV 16 (SAT) 5:30 P.M.
WHERE: Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

After three games, Keller's rejuvenated team has already claimed distinction from the previous season's team. They have already matched last year's mark of three games with 89 points or more in a game. They have eclipsed last season by having 10 players score in a game (every game so far!) whereas last season peaked out with only 9 players scoring. Also, this year's Lumberjacks is #1 in the nation in forcing turnovers so far in the first three games. Not a bad turnaround in six months.

Not so fast says the Drexel Dragons of the Colonial Athletic Association. The 2-2 squad is in the top ten for rebounding (SFA #4 in offensive rebounds) and one of the absolute best in assists. While this hasn't turned into a prolific scoring team, they have been edging opponents by winning extra possessions. They beat Niagara by 8 (sound familiar) and last night got edged by Rutgers by 5. They also have already topped ACU. Watch out.

They are lead in scoring by James Butler (Jr. 6' 8" F) and Zach Walton (Sr. 6' 6" G/F). But all in all, it's a fairly balanced team that should match up well against our tall and fast team. But, they are only averaging 69 points in regulation. If they can't find an extra gear on offense, they will struggle at Johnson Coliseum.

Calvin Solomon and Sama'zha Hart have been more than impressive in their first three games. They move and play like men - not fresh faced boys. Solomon raked in 10 boards against Niagara while Hart is sitting on a very solid 10 points scoring a game. It has been a long time since a freshmen duo have had such success (albeit early). They will be fun to see develop.

Through a couple of tune up games, we've seen flashes of what the potential of this team can be. Every game has been a better test, but the game starts to elevate methodically from here. Kevon needs to be the leader to help us step into each new team. Balance and depth are going to be the metric by which the team rises or falls. If Kevon can grow past last year's isolation ball, he may find himself at the head of a killer squad - instead of just killer stats.

Come out Saturday to watch the Jacks slay some dragons. Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
Very nice nacluth.
TallTexan
I hope you have a good gif of a lumberjack slaying a dragon spun up for Saturday.
Txjack
Enjoying your breakdowns Ryan. Keep up the good work!
SFAJack_76
Nice breakdown.

Brown also is second in assists with 2.5 per game, and leads in rebounds with a very robust 12.8 per game. Although scoring is very balanced, Brown is clearly the key. Our inside guys are going to have to play better to keep him in check and off the boards.
PurpleOut
Staff
*The ACU game was in Philly.

Should be a solid game.
nacluth
PurpleOut said:

*The ACU game was in Philly.

Should be a solid game.
Good catch.
cboothe09
Stat Breakdown
SFA Drexel
PPG 90.7 69.3
PA 71.3 69.8
FG% 50.0 42.1
RPG 40.3 40.5
APG 16.0 15.3
BPG 3.7 4.3
SPG 9.7 6.8

The stats are from ESPN. The Drexel website isn't very up to date (Niagra is last update). Digging deeper on their website, depth isn't a strength. Six players average at least 20 minutes a game with two players getting over 30 minutes (Butler & Wynter). Juric is just under with 29 minutes a game, so don't expect those three to come off the floor much. They spread the ball well, but they also turn it over a lot. Not spectacular shooting the ball from any range. They have played a decent schedule with Temple, Niagra, ACU, and Rutgers with no game decided by more than eight points.

This will be the best team we have seen this year, but that isn't saying a whole lot. I like us to take this one because our offense is much more balanced and we have more depth. I expect another tight start with SFA putting it away in the second half, especially after the poor finish against Niagra. This should be a 15+ point victory, and give us some good momentum before hitting the road for the first time this year.
SFAJack_76
Their XML file has all four games. The PDF only has two.
BigJack85
A win against Drexel would help me swallow the "We're Back" medicine with glee! Now I know we could still have those games like last year where we looked lost. But I don't think we'll have nearly as many. Maybe we can be competitive with Rutgers???
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
Spain, pre-season scrimmages, first three games of the season, this team just continues to WIN!
No-look
BigJack85 said:

A win against Drexel would help me swallow the "We're Back" medicine with glee! Now I know we could still have those games like last year where we looked lost. But I don't think we'll have nearly as many. Maybe we can be competitive with Rutgers???
Yep. We could drop a couple games that we should win. But I'm really wanting to get on the We're Back Train. Hope we are gelling by conference. Now, if we could just knock off Rutgers and Duke.... and Drexel. Lol
RichieVan
The key to this game will be guarding James Butler. He is about the same size as Kensmil (6'8", 242 LBS). Butler has scored 35 of his 48 points this year against the two teams without any real interior presence (ACU and Niagara). He's been held to 6.5 PPG against Temple and Rutgers, who were able to guard him with physically similar players. He was 14 for 16 FG against ACU and Niagara, but just 6 of 18 against Temple and Rutgers. Take away Butler's 20 of 34 shooting for the year and Drexel shoots just 39% overall and 32.6% from three.
Neutralize the interior, make them an outside shooting team. Drexel plays good defense, so we will need to push the tempo and have our depth take over. If we shoot in the mid 40% range and keep the turnovers to around 15, I think we win this game. Drexel averages 18 turnovers per game, so we may be able to get them to turn it over more than 20 times.
nacluth
Game day!!!

Today we summon the spirit of Matthew McConaughey's axe-wielding dragon hunter from Reign of Fire. If you're not ready to jump off a top of a building with your axe into the oncoming maw of a dragon, why are you even a Lumberjack fan?
jboy93
First time to see in person, Kensmil is huge!
jboy93
Hart is not dressed out! What's up with that?
TallTexan
Hart & Kharee.
jboy93
He is styling the sockless loafers though!
CertifiedAxeman98
I hate to see guys in street clothes. Hopefully they will be back and ready to go against Rutgers.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I'm with you Cert....street clothes could mean injury or other issues we don't need.. Don't want either.
nacluth
Roti making most of his shots in warmups. Whoever it is, we're going to need a big game from our #2.
nacluth
Also the best part of Ljacks' seats is watching actual replays on the monitor.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Also the best part of Ljacks' seats is watching actual replays on the monitor.

Be nice if they'd share those with the rest of us on the video board.
TallTexan
I heard from a source who heard from a source that they may have been in some slight trouble.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Hey, who dat in my seats??
Ljacks&Longnecks
Oh I hope it is only slight trouble and quickly dealt with.
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

I hate to see guys in street clothes. Hopefully they will be back and ready to go against Rutgers.

McDaniel is limping badly.
jboy93
Great start!
CertifiedAxeman98
Different refs tonight. Hope they can see better than the crew on Wednesday.
nacluth
Strong start. Offense really clicking. Let a couple of easy buckets, but already turning them over.
sfa17
Looking really good .they not stopping kensmil today
jboy93
Love our depth! Can't keep up with who's in and who's out! So athletic!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Kensmil is the man inside.
sfa17
Looks like hart is not in uniform
nacluth
Kensmil is absolutely owning the offensive post. Pressuring Drexel into rushing possessions.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.