SFA / Niagara

17,586 Views | 146 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PurpleOut
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Definitely all the lineups is hurting continuity in this game, but the big plus is that we have 11 talented players that can do just about everything.

Oddyst is rusty and fouling. Really everyone is fouling too much. Freshmen are playing great. Solomon and Hart do not look like this is their third game. Speed has hurt us a little, but we are fast.
RedRiverLa
Wow, this team shouldn't make a run like that on us, no matter what our lineup.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
RedRiverLa
14-0 run
Lumberjack Battalion
SFASawmillGuy
When a team starts a run on us we completely change up how we play. We no longer press them, we no longer fight to the basket to score. We play super conservative and basically allow them to score.

That's been the theme the past 3 seasons unfortunately.
nacluth
Last media - up by 9. Trying to cover.
RedRiverLa
WOW. A blocking foul, you have to be kidding he threw Kensmill to the ground.
Lumberjack Battalion
SFASawmillGuy
Also that amazon commercial is getting slightly annoying.
RedRiverLa
And conversely the same call is now charging. Just wow.
Lumberjack Battalion
nacluth
Paul Quinn putting it to Nicholls.
TallTexan
RedRiverLa said:

And conversely the same call is now charging. Just wow.

He got away with it nearly a dozen times.
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

Paul Quinn putting it to Nicholls.

Dang, he must be good!
Lumberjack Battalion
purpleballs
I believe we have the depth to press and play fast. Which we didn't last year.
nacluth
Didn't cover. But this game has been over for a while.
MasterAxe
Could have done without that last 5:00.

Overall, good. Take a win.

Drexel...gonna be a great test.
TallTexan
Won the game & a guy named Bogues or Harris wasn't the high scorer. Pretty good night.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Take the win....plenty of work to do before Drexel.

Good thing is everyone got some court time. Thought Harris was way off his game tonight , Ware also.
Good thing about our depth is that we have the ability to have different guys lead the way in different games. Cam Johnson was huge tonight.
BigJack85
Drexel will be a better measuring stick. Beat Drexel, then the balance of the schedule should get able (sans Duke and Alabama).
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
RedRiverLa
FYI, speaking of Bogues, Herd is playing on espn+.
Lumberjack Battalion
CertifiedAxeman98
UGLY
nacluth
Three games in. Three no real drama outcomes. Three games with at least 10 scoring players. Three true tune up games.

Lowest SFA score 89. Only 3 games last year got to 89. Two were OT losses, the other was Arlington Baptist.

We didn't have a single game last year where more than 9 players scored.

I think the season really starts Saturday, but ostensibly we're already a much improved team. Clearly losses are in our future, but the beginning has been nice.
nacluth
Also, I need a gif of Kevon's three/not three and following NON-bucket.
jboy93
Shouldn't bring this up but going to anyway... TJ put up 21 pts. in 20 minutes against HBU tonight.
nacluth
Drexel lost to Rutgers by 6 tonight on the other half of the Garden State Showcase. Drexel took the lead with 5 minutes left, but couldn't hold it. Held Rutgers to 33% shooting and won the turnover battle.

Both teams will be tough. Both beatable.
jboy93
Love Gavin playing hard and not picking up too many fouls! Going to be a beast in the SLC!!!
No-look
I thought McDaniels played well. Like his defensive play. Would like to see more. We got sloppy with our fouls when they were in double bonus and they had a good night at the line. Like our depth.
TallTexan
No-look said:

I thought McDaniels played well. Like his defensive play. Would like to see more. We got sloppy with our fouls when they were in double bonus and they had a good night at the line. Like our depth.

Me too. He got in and played with high energy. And his fade away layup or whatever you'd call that was a tough shot to make. Bright future.
TallTexan
jboy93 said:

Shouldn't bring this up but going to anyway... TJ put up 21 pts. in 20 minutes against HBU tonight.

TJ beating up on HBU will always make me smile. Even if he's marauding around as one of those terrible tortilla throwers while he does it.
CertifiedAxeman98
Niagara goal tends on an SFA 3 then fast breaks w/out inbounding the ball & after watching the replay the refs let Niagara keep the 2 pts. @ the end of 1st half the refs have no clue time is left & SFA should be able to inbound until Keller makes them look at replay.

Any reasons for staying in the SLC were erased by the terrible refs last night.
Rev007
Happy to see Kharee McDaniel get some quality minutes. Appears to have elite defense potential. We are going to need him.

Additionally, nice to see Oddyst for the first time this season. He looks more confident with his offense. Drained his first 3 point shot.

Did Cameron Johnson play hard? You bet he did. He is now one of my favorites.
RichieVan
Jacks need to do a better job of rotation defense on the baseline. That is a very vulnerable area for us and led to several easy Niagara buckets.
Putting this in perspective, Niagara shoots 55.6% from the field, we shoot 43.8% and the game was never in doubt in the second half.
The good news is we only had 14 turnovers. That will be the key to a good season. If we can stay at 15 or less on a consistent basis, we're going to win a lot of games.
Against Rutgers, Niagara couldn't throw a ball in the ocean. Before Rutgers, Drexel, at home, was taken to overtime by Abilene Christian. Drexel and Rutgers are definitely winnable games. We cannot afford a slow start against Rutgers, but the Scarlet Knights are not a good shooting team. They go as Gio Baker goes, so Comeaux will have to have his best defensive game.
The good news against Niagara is we have the athleticism to overcome a better shooting team. We cut down on turnovers and we had seriously good ball rotation in the second half of the last two games. Lots to build on. This team is still learning to play together, but I like the direction.
sfajack05
A win is a win.

Glad to see we have more players that we can rely on especially when Kevon has an off night. I think that was one of the biggest issues last year was if Kevon or Shannon had an off night then the offense completely stopped.

Cam Johnson is good. I like Hart's energy he brings. Lots of talent and athleticism on this team.
CertifiedAxeman98
A few more thoughts:

Kevon was double and triple teamed all night. SFA tried a pick and roll to get others open and have Kevon pass it to them with limited success

Shots were not falling especially from 3

I really liked seeing McDaniel, Solomon and Hart in there together as that trio along with Posey should be the future for SFA.

Backdoor cuts by Niagara's big man and no one picking him up needs to be fixed before we play bigger teams. Keller was not happy with Charlie Daniels after he left the big man open under the basket for an easy bucket.

I hope Keller has rotations more nailed down after last night as he was rotating guys at every stoppage it seemed. It is also going to be hard to continue spreading the minutes out like he has and have consistency on the floor.

SFAJack_76
A few random comments.

Keller is in a position with the depth that he has that he needs to play all twelve and play them with different combinations until the staff figures out what works best. That will lead to some ugly basketball, but is necessary to get to where we are playing our best come conference time. The bench will shorten up, but not yet.

The Niagara defense was keyed on Kevon, but he didn't handle it well. Clearly frustrated, leading to some unfortunate errors. Last season, he played selfishly in some part because he and Bogues were all we had. I saw some of that come out again last night. You just aren't going to score 32 every game.

Johnson was lights out. The focus on Kevon provided the opportunity he took advantage of it.

Ware had a rough night. He is better than that.

Solomon was a beast on the boards. Ten rebounds in fourteen minutes. His free throw shooting was bad. He will get a lot of opportunities. He has to improve.

Hart is going to be a stud. Athletic as anyone I have seen in purple. Burned bad on defense on more than one occasion. But, so were essentially all of our inside guys. Interior play would be better if Brown was available.

I like only 14 turnovers. Not a fan of only 13 assists on 28 made baskets.

Attendance of 2,441 is disappointing. I know it's Wednesday night, but still.
TallTexan
All good thoughts 76.

I do wish we'd play a few of these OOC games on a Tuesday night so we could compare attendance numbers.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

All good thoughts 76.

I do wish we'd play a few of these OOC games on a Tuesday night so we could compare attendance numbers.
Well, Arlington Baptist is on a Monday. Yeah, probably not a great comparison.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.