SFA / Niagara

17,827 Views | 146 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PurpleOut
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Back to the weird event last night with Kevon's three. Did the refs call goaltending or did they just count the three as a bucket? And was the missed call when Niagra didn't inbound ball, was that an irreversible call? I'm still confused.
SFASawmillGuy
I believe it was kind of like in football if a play is run before the review, it can't be reviewed. So I think the refs just took too long to catch it and had to allow it.
nacluth
No, it was just a terrible call all the way around. It absolutely could not be a play without an inbounds. It should have been brought back to after the three pointer.

Edit: this is not correct. Explanation below.
No-look
nacluth said:

No, it was just a terrible call all the way around. It absolutely could not be a play without an inbounds. It should have been brought back to after the three pointer.
. That's what I thought but even high school refs know that. That's why I figured it could have been something I missed. Did they call goaltending?
nacluth
Ok. I was wrong, but let's just say the refs were colossally wrong. There was no goaltending called. If there was, then it would have changed everything. Here's the official rule (it concerns how to correct errors made by the officials):

Art. 5. When an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point of interruption to correct the error. (unnecessary stuff cut out).
a. Points scored, time consumed and additional activity that may occur before the recognition of the error shall not be nullified.

Basically the rule is that time has to be stopped to review the play. The time didn't stop until Niagara scored a bucket. Keller walked out onto the court yelling and calling for a timeout, but wasn't awarded one because we didn't have possession. Since they scored, the time and points couldn't be nullified.

Also, replay specifically cannot be used retroactively to determine goaltending. They never called it though, but replay can award a good bucket.
HJC69
Then there should have been two reviews. One for the three point shot and another whether Niagra brought the ball in illegaly.
No-look
What's worse is there is a ref within ten foot looking right at the play. Refs are going to miss calls. That's just part of officiating but you can't miss these kind of calls. What if it was a one point game and time expired after the layup?
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah unfortunately they made the call correctly after the review based on the rules, because they couldn't go back and take away a basket for play that never stops. Which is absurd to even think about given the situation. There needs to be an overriding rule opportunity in cases like this. But I guess cases like this rarely, if ever, happen.

Literally all three refs were watching the play, one even signals that the shot was good. How they could mess that up is inexcusable professionally.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.