MBB Coaching Discussion

15,015 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Starting this thread to talk about men's basketball coaching and coaches. Please use this thread and not the 2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball thread. Use that one to talk ONLY about the team, players, practices, etc.
purplitis72
Good idea.
PurpleOut
Staff
Saying this again ahead of time, please remember that this is a public forum.
RedRiverLa
So things about the coaches that aren't related to the team? Hmmm, okay. Finally, a thread devoted to Keller's wardrobe. I'm putting myself out there for criticism, but I thought it vastly improved this year from the earlier seasons where it was more a gangster pinstripe.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
CertifiedAxeman98
RedRiverLa said:

So things about the coaches that aren't related to the team? Hmmm, okay. Finally, a thread devoted to Keller's wardrobe. I'm putting myself out there for criticism, but I thought it vastly improved this year from the earlier seasons where it was more a gangster pinstripe.
Keller should go with the Huggins look rather than the unbuttoned top button and loose tie. You know that the top button comes undone at tip off and the tie gets looser and looser as the game goes on. Very disheveled after a game win or lose.
No-look
RedRiverLa said:

He's much more into fashion now. Not like those football coaches with chili dog stains on their shirts.
TallTexan
No-look said:

RedRiverLa said:

He's much more into fashion now. Not like those football coaches with chili dog stains on their shirts.
Honestly, I miss 80s blazer Keller.
purplitis72
Lol! and LMAO! Forget about who wins the games. That's not what is important. Appearances is what really matters. Should we start more threads regarding what coaches wives should wear and what the players should wear and how they wear their hair?
jboy93
Keller looks exactly like an uncle I had. Keller should go his route and sport the way high shorts and colored socks with old style "chucks"! At least during practice!!
purplitis72
In my opinion if he loses, nobody cares what he wears.
No-look
Dark cloud behind every silver lining. Lol
purplitis72
Where is that silver lining? We either have two or three returning players from last year and only one of them was a starter if he returns. Reality clouds all silver linings. I wanna win! I don't care if Keller wears overalls. But I darn sure want him to wear something. I would love to see him wearing a 2020-2021 Southland Conference championship ring. There's your silver lining with a few fake diamonds in it.
sfajack05
Jokes are hard...

Rev007
Not much action on this thread recently. So I'll start with my thoughts about Coach Keller's job status.

With the exodus of so many players as well as the influx of 9 or so new players, I believe Coach Keller has been given a pass for next season. The athletic director will probably judge him on the progress made from year 4 to year 5. I always wish the team success and therefore the coach as well. Unless next year is a total disaster similar to this year's team, Coach Keller should end up fulfilling his 5 year contract. The final year of a contract is so important and usually gets extended at the end of the 4th year or early 5th year if the ship is afloat and sailing in the right direction. The worst thing that could happen is if Coach Keller is a lame duck coach in year 5. This could be disastrous regarding incoming recruits and current players, and the program would most likely take a significant step backwards if Coach Keller is let go at the end of his current contract.

Any thoughts?
No-look
I think next year will be a very good year and even better the next. Recruiting will be a critical next couple years. If all holds we will be solid next two years. But we lose half of team to graduation after that so adding the right pieces will be the thing. I really like next seasons team especially if Kevon returns. Coaching staff is doings great job with recruiting. I think Keller will be fine.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

I think next year will be a very good year and even better the next. Recruiting will be a critical next couple years. If all holds we will be solid next two years. But we lose half of team to graduation after that so adding the right pieces will be the thing. I really like next seasons team especially if Kevon returns. Coaching staff is doings great job with recruiting. I think Keller will be fine.

Ditto.
Rev007
Nice positive replies, but let's also hear from the other side since we welcome all responses.
No-look
Rev007 said:

Nice positive replies, but let's also hear from the other side since we welcome all responses.
Right now there is no room for negative replies. Only positive. Lol The glass is half full!
CertifiedAxeman98
Rev007 said:

I will help you out.

I know there were injuries that really impacted the team last year but there were clearly other issues with the team that just injuries. Considering that Keller only has 2 players he recruited out of HS still on the team (excluding the 3 coming in this summer) I am still skeptical that Keller will be here after 19/20 unless he is at or near the top of the SLC. The SLC is the worst or near the worst leagues in all of college basketball according to Kenpom and others. Ivey didn't hire Keller and if he has a guy he wants to bring in then he may want to make a change sooner than later if things don't turn around quickly. I have no inside information but from a fan and outside observer when you see what happened last year it is hard to see Keller around after next year if he doesn't have a good turn around. I am still skeptical of all the JUCO guys until I see them on the court against D1 guys. I think with all the change we won't know if the is team is any good until SLC play since it will probably take that long to work out all the kinks.

Anyone a Seinfeld fan? There was an episode where Jerry rented a car and when he went to get the car they said they didn't have one for him. He said to the lady behind the counter that anyone can take a reservation the key is to hold the reservation. The key to recruiting is not only getting the recruits in but to keep them and develop them. I am still waiting on that part of the equation to be fully fulfilled from Keller.

On the court I better see a lot less turnovers, better D on the 3 and better D stopping the backdoor cuts. No more on the perimeter help D. You can get away with it down low but not outside. And we better see more than 2 or 3 guys scoring and a lot less ISO ball. There better be some actual plays that open guys up for shots. Not everyone is Harris or Bogues some guys are good shooters but they need some help getting open.
BigJack85
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Rev007 said:

I will help you out.

I know there were injuries that really impacted the team last year but there were clearly other issues with the team that just injuries. Considering that Keller only has 2 players he recruited out of HS still on the team (excluding the 3 coming in this summer) I am still skeptical that Keller will be here after 19/20 unless he is at or near the top of the SLC. The SLC is the worst or near the worst leagues in all of college basketball according to Kenpom and others. Ivey didn't hire Keller and if he has a guy he wants to bring in then he may want to make a change sooner than later if things don't turn around quickly. I have no inside information but from a fan and outside observer when you see what happened last year it is hard to see Keller around after next year if he doesn't have a good turn around. I am still skeptical of all the JUCO guys until I see them on the court against D1 guys. I think with all the change we won't know if the is team is any good until SLC play since it will probably take that long to work out all the kinks.

Anyone a Seinfeld fan? There was an episode where Jerry rented a car and when he went to get the car they said they didn't have one for him. He said to the lady behind the counter that anyone can take a reservation the key is to hold the reservation. The key to recruiting is not only getting the recruits in but to keep them and develop them. I am still waiting on that part of the equation to be fully fulfilled from Keller.

On the court I better see a lot less turnovers, better D on the 3 and better D stopping the backdoor cuts. No more on the perimeter help D. You can get away with it down low but not outside. And we better see more than 2 or 3 guys scoring and a lot less ISO ball. There better be some actual plays that open guys up for shots. Not everyone is Harris or Bogues some guys are good shooters but they need some help getting open.

Bingo. Well put together.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Rev007
Nice analysis CertifiedAxeman98
SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Are you comparing our coaching staff to Rent-a-Wreck? JUST KIDDING! Good comments.
No-look
All good points. I think we will be more balanced where opposing teams game plan can't be to stop or contain two players. Last year role players were cast into starting rolls. Defense has to vastly improve and there has to be people to score and create. I like the guys that are coming in with the ones that return. Freshmen And Juco guys will have to adapt to D1. If the chemistry is there we could be really good. Hopefully by conference all players will look like they belong. Kachelries could be a huge asset along with others.
Jacks4460
It will for sure be an uphill battle with 9-10 new players... Keller will forsure have to make a big jump in W's or he is gone...I was a HUGE Keller fan but this year really let me down knowing what I know...I really hope we win but my gut tells me it will be a long year...Then the new basketball facility will help Ryan bring in a coach to lead us back to March Madness..
MasterAxe
Rev007 said:

Not much action on this thread recently. So I'll start with my thoughts about Coach Keller's job status.

With the exodus of so many players as well as the influx of 9 or so new players, I believe Coach Keller has been given a pass for next season.
I don't think he gets a pass for players leaving/quitting/kicked off, etc...

Part of the job (and many would argue a HUGE part) is the ability to recruit and keep quality players.

For whatever reason(s) that specific aspect of the last two years has been a failure, some blame goes to the players, some blame goes to the coaches.

Someone nailed it (paraphrasing) other than the financial aspect, Keller is not Ryan Ivey's guy. I assume that Ivey wants to see some REAL progress this year. And by that, I mean WINS. in the worst league in America, finishing outside of the top-3 seems like a failure, especially with the resources we put into BSKB.

My outlook for the season is "skeptically optimistic."

It's code for: Who the hell knows what's going to happen.
SFAJack_76
"Worst league in America" is factually incorrect, but 30 out of 32 is close enough to support the comment that, with the resources and commitment to basketball, SFA should almost never finish below the top three in the SLC. Regardless of circumstances, not making the conference tournament is unacceptable.

This past season started with injuries, and went down hill from that. No doubt, Keller and staff found themselves in a tough position, but their response to that was poor at best. From the outside, it appears the coaches (adults) let the players (kids) dictate the locker room and the play on the court. Tough times call for leaders, not managers. No player, injured or playing, stepped up to being a leader. That hurt, but that is where the coaches had to make adjustments, and provide leadership. They did not.

This coming season is a big one for Keller and staff. Probably, the big one. Year four. They have recruited some talented basketball players. Have they recruited a talented team? They have lost/cut some very talented players. Who is going to provide the team leadership? Assuming he comes back, is Harris that guy? Or, does one of the Juco guys rapidly get the trust of all of his new teammates? How much can the BB dedicated S&C guy accomplish with the nine new players in just a few months? Many, many questions.

With nine new players, it will take a few weeks into the season to learn to work as a team. Practice is great, but it is not game experience. They have to learn the system, and how to optimize the play with all the new guys. This season cannot be considered a pass for this staff. Four years in, it is their team, warts and all. Just win.
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

It will for sure be an uphill battle with 9-10 new players... Keller will forsure have to make a big jump in W's or he is gone...I was a HUGE Keller fan but this year really let me down knowing what I know...I really hope we win but my gut tells me it will be a long year...Then the new basketball facility will help Ryan bring in a coach to lead us back to March Madness..

I agree. We need to finish above 20 wins and above 3rd in the conference. Keller built the mess and he can clean it up. I just hope he cleans it up and good. Like "Winston Wolfe" in Pulp Fiction......
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
I don't disagree with you guys about this being the pivotal year. I hope we'll see the consistency come through on the court.

Let's reclaim March.
Rev007
I'm not saying it didn't exist last year because I don't know for sure, but I think it's vital that our team culture be more of a family atmosphere with rules that need to be followed. I say this because several past recruits have stated that they chose SFA because it felt like a home/family environment where they felt that the coaching staff were truly interested in the players' well being. Some families still believe as do I the old adage "spare the rod, spoil the child," [Not to be taken literally]. Also appropriate is "one bad apple spoils the barrel."

Bottom line is that we need leadership from coaches and players that helps form a cohesive team-first environment. If this happens, perhaps we won't lose our talented freshmen after one season.
No-look
All valid points. I would assume that everything has been addressed from top to bottom. Would like to see some strong leadership from players as well as coaches. As stated above we have some talented players coming in. We will see what is the flavor of the pudding is as time goes by. Looking for a good year. Hope I'm right.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Good and well presented points from all sides. Personally I'm still in the Keller camp but I too expect and know that there must be improvement this season. We have a boatload of new guys on hand and they need to provide all out effort in preparations and in TEAM ball. There is so much work to be done and players and staff must buy in and not let up.
The locker room and any team issues must be controlled by the coaching staff...although the team could help in that area too. Hopefully there will be no bad apples this year but I have to think that if one kid gets attitude, then if the other 12 have bought in then some peer pressure might quell the issue (those with locker room experience could give me any thoughts on that).
If we stay relatively healthy this year then I expect a strong bounce back. If we keep a full roster and flounder again then I would have to reconsider my stand on this coaching staff but I'm looking for success and good times to return.
nacluth
I think we have recruited good talent. I think good coaching could find success with this team this year. I don't necessarily need Keller to win the Southland regular season to validate another year, but we need a team that will play better late than early. Another year like this last one will make everyone forget about that Tech game.
Rev007
Great posts everyone! By the way, where is Purplitis? I enjoy reading his opinions as well.
djsfw57
Rev007 said:

Great posts everyone! By the way, where is Purplitis? I enjoy reading his opinions as well.
He only had one....
No-look
Rev007 said:

Please don't conjure that spirit back up. Lol
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.