MBB Coaching Discussion

15,022 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
sfajack05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kaspar had players leave but I don't remember ever having the mass exodus like we had this year.

Not sure if Keller is recruiting just on talent or looking at other factors in these players. I know I come off as anti-Keller but I really do want him to be successful. I thought he had turned the corner after year two and then everything just went downhill this season. Just seemed like he didn't have the leadership to pull the team together and he was just guessing at what to do.

With that said I really hope he does turn it around this coming season because I want our Jacks to be successful and knocking out teams in the tournament.
Rev007
Yes, the long version would be welcomed. You've obviously been more engaged with the happenings of the men's basketball team than me. I was away from the area for several years and only regained interest since the NCAA tournament victory over VCU.
CertifiedAxeman98
With all the focus on Keller I was wondering if anyone know if there will be any changes in the assist coaches, additions for Grad assistance or other changes?

Also, with all the injuries last year my eye will be on Dukquits to see if he can help mitigate the injuries this year.
purplitis72
No coaching changes for men's basketball at this point.
No-look
What can be done to reduce injuries? Better conditioning? If so, what does that intel?
CertifiedAxeman98
No-look said:

What can be done to reduce injuries? Better conditioning? If so, what does that intel?
I'm not a Dr. or sports med guy but in talking to some former athletes and certified trainers over the years there are several things you can do to avoid injuries, from nutrition, to strength and conditions to how you run your practices. Flexibility is really important and that is why some athletes do Yoga. There are a lot of tools now than were not there when I was a kid. They can measure impact on the body and can show you how you should properly jump or move or throw etc. They can help you change a motion to help you prevent an injury. While some injuries are from repetition, others are not.

I saw a special awhile back about some equipment schools are using in basketball. You have your athletes jump on something that is connect to a computer and it measures the impact on the body and the force you are using and then from there it can help teach the kids how to reduce impact on their bodies using better technique. It was a special on NCCA Basketball teams and their use of this tech to keep players on the court. There was a large % of those in the NCAA tourney using this new tool and their injuries were noticeably reduced since using it. This was helpful for knee, ankle and other similar soft tissue issues. Some injuries will happen no matter how good of shape you are in or how flexible you are or what technique you use. You may just land on the side of someone's foot and turn an ankle that is just bad luck but there is a lot that can be done to prevent injuries and recover faster from them.

Not sure what Comeaux did but he recovered way faster than I expected off what would normally be a season ending injury. Last year most of the injuries appeared to be off the court or in a practice. That was my concern with last years injuries. Guys will get hurt during a game and there is not much that can be done about that but outside of a game or during warm ups or practice is frustrating. Hopefully the new basketball training facility will have all the tools needed to put our basketball teams in the best possible position to be successful and stay on the court but we must have the right people working with these kids as well.

Just my 2 cents based the limited training I had when coaching youth sports and what I have read and heard over the years. It would be good to hear from a real strength and conditioning person. From what I remember Dukquits started right before the basketball season started so not sure he had time to do much before the season started so I hope he now has a good year around program in place for the guys that is targeted to each kid.
purplitis72
Well said. I agree that some of those injuries did not happen in practice or on the court.
Jacks4460
It is what it is... hopefully things all work out and the lumberjacks are successful..
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

It is what it is... hopefully things all work out and the lumberjacks are successful..
Yessir. I fully understand your concerns, but at this point we have to trust Keller and Ivey on this. It should be an intriguing season.
SFAJack_76
purplitis72 said:

Well said. I agree that some of those injuries did not happen in practice or on the court.
Holyfield shoulder was in practice. Augustin elbow was in a scrimmage at A&M. Hughes broken finger was in a pre game warm up. Samuli had multiple physical challenges, including an ankle injury that occurred in a game. Comeaux has knee issues he has been dealing with for a while.
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

purplitis72 said:

Holyfield shoulder was in practice. Augustin elbow was in a scrimmage at A&M. Hughes broken finger was in a pre game warm up. Samuli had multiple physical challenges, including an ankle injury that occurred in a game. Comeaux has knee issues he has been dealing with for a while.
Sounds like a MASH unit.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
Great news. Coach Mason is expected to be back on the job in the next 2-3 weeks.
No-look
Awesome!
SFAJack_76
RedRiverLa
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

RedRiverLa said:

So things about the coaches that aren't related to the team? Hmmm, okay. Finally, a thread devoted to Keller's wardrobe. I'm putting myself out there for criticism, but I thought it vastly improved this year from the earlier seasons where it was more a gangster pinstripe.
He's much more into fashion now. Not like those football coaches with chili dog stains on their shirts.
Honestly, I miss 80s blazer Keller.
You know, I think you're right. I was recently eating at CCs and there it was - the cutout with the old look - who'd have thought it was a winning look. I miss it.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
RedRiverLa
Exactly!
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

I think we have recruited good talent. I think good coaching could find success with this team this year. I don't necessarily need Keller to win the Southland regular season to validate another year, but we need a team that will play better late than early. Another year like this last one will make everyone forget about that Tech game.
No, you can't take the TECH and LSU game away from me! The memories of that get me through the two nightmarish loses to NSU last year. Crap! I had forgotten all about those two loses -
Lumberjack Battalion
TallTexan
RedRiverLa said:

TallTexan said:

No-look said:

RedRiverLa said:

So things about the coaches that aren't related to the team? Hmmm, okay. Finally, a thread devoted to Keller's wardrobe. I'm putting myself out there for criticism, but I thought it vastly improved this year from the earlier seasons where it was more a gangster pinstripe.
He's much more into fashion now. Not like those football coaches with chili dog stains on their shirts.
Honestly, I miss 80s blazer Keller.
You know, I think you're right. I was recently eating at CCs and there it was - the cutout with the old look - who'd have thought it was a winning look. I miss it.
I'll start a petition.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.