SFA / Central Arkansas (2)

28,197 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigJack85
corleycl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can I just say that I'm so sad about this season so far?
MasterAxe
It's really simple:

Either we are not as talented as we thought (Which a lot of us thought)

- or -

We are talented and can't develop it or use it properly (Coaching issue)

- or -

We just flat ass don't care (Coaching and Player issue)

I think we can all make an argument for anyone of these points, where in reality, it's a combination of all three.
BigJack85
brlionfan44 said:

RedRiverLa said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I still don't blame Keller. No one can tell me that the UCA coach, who has barely won 30% of his career games at UCA and only made the SLC tournament once, "outcoached" Keller tonight.

When the Jacks hit 1 of 13 from three (many of them wide open shots) and UCA hits 11, that's not Keller's fault. When the Jacks have gone from having the #1 team in steals in the nation to one that allows unknown players and bad teams to score with relative ease on them, that's not Keller's fault. Keller and his staff didn't just suddenly forget how to coach.

Then would you agree with me that the kids are ready for this season to be over with and don't really care about doing the things it takes to do to Win?

Not really all in on this. I can see the first part as somewhat true, but when you don't have the talent, you can stay in the gym forever all season and it's going to be a limited affect. You can coach the perfect strategy but if you can't make a layup or go 1-13 on open threes, it's talent. You can't tell me Gru isn't a hard worker. But that only goes so far. Once we get past Kevin and Harris there's a huge drop off. You can't win with just two. I keep hearing two sides of the coin, they're selfish, but they need to take over. Honestly, I'm ready for the season to end.
Southeastern Louisiana is managing to do pretty well in conference with only 2 main go to guys. After you get past Veal and Greenwood, their 3rd leading scorer averages 6 a game. I think the difference in the 2 teams is that SLU makes a commitment to guarding people where the SFA players don't seem willing to do that. It's meant for SLU, they can go on the road and win when they don't shoot it well because defense always travels. Just my thoughts on what I've seen from watching SFA.
BrLion gets it... our defensive prowess is GONE. GONE. GONE. Keller doesn't push that aspect of the old philosophy. OK great. Then get some guys that can shoot which we certainly don't have right now. I don't think we are going to win NCAA tournament games, much less the conference with the inconsistent strategy etc.

I'll say this, I think we are in for a long slog. Circa Lee Ann Riley, or Ned Fowler. Keller is a great guy and to some degree it appears that he's a players coach but these guys are either not the fit or he is over his head. I hope it's the former but I will stick to my guns and say that if you look at us in most of the defensive categories (statistics) we have gotten worse and not just this year.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Jacks4460
MasterAxe said:

It's really simple:

Either we are not as talented as we thought (Which a lot of us thought)

- or -

We are talented and can't develop it or use it properly (Coaching issue)

- or -

We just flat ass don't care (Coaching and Player issue)

I think we can all make an argument for anyone of these points, where in reality, it's a combination of all three.
Great post!! LOL combination of all three!!! Yes indeed...
SFAJack_76
corleycl said:

Can I just say that I'm so sad about this season so far?
So, you have gone through denial, anger, and bargaining, and are now in depression. Me too. I am on the verge of acceptance. Don't let me down Ladyjacks!
TallTexan
I will say, and this isn't an indictment of the current staff, because it's just a different philosophy, but I miss our full court defense.
SFASawmillGuy
Remember being excited about the "chaos" and "disruption" practice uniforms?
No-look
Maybe we're being taught a lesson in humility. Lol
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Remember being excited about the "chaos" and "disruption" practice uniforms?

I mean, they'd still be accurate this season, but for other reasons.
Jacks4460
No-look said:

I am with you No-look.. its gonna be a 2-3 yr lesson tho... its bad..
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

No-look said:

I am with you No-look.. its gonna be a 2-3 yr lesson tho... its bad..
I'm convinced it won't be. I think we make a move. With $26 million being laid out for what is already the best facility in the conference, to open it up in a year and a half with a gigantic dud would be a travesty. We owe Keller $300,000 at the end of this year. I say we swallow that in monthly chunks. It will be hard but if we want to be the best we need to change course before this turns into a three or four cycle disaster. See the following:

1988-90 Mike Martin 12-39 .235 4-24 .143
1990-96 Ned Fowler 78-87 .473 50-54 .481
1996-00 Derek Allister 32-74 .302 19-49 .279

I had only graduated a few years before the tide turned against us..... Ned Fowler was alright but never got better than 17 wins. I cast Keller in the Fowler mode. Ok but rarely above .500 and if above .500 just barely.

Axe 'Em Jacks
CertifiedAxeman98
This year is not at all what it should have been but you can't fire Keller after this year especially with all the injuries and departures. I get it the expectation is that we play in Katy and we are at or near the top of the SLC. After the season Ivey must address all the issues with injuries and guys leaving the program with Keller and his staff. These things must be addressed and plans put in place to mitigate this next year. You can fire Keller but you risk getting the reputation of a quick hook. Keller may not be the next Underwood and we should not settle for sitting at home in March but I think last year should give Keller at least 1 if not 2 more years. If next year is what this year has been then I think you have to at least consider your options. The school is pumping money into the program and they will want a return on that which includes wins and butts in the seats. This was the first year I bought season tickets and I am trying to decided if I want to renew them for next year or or just pay and go to games I am able to make.
BigJack85
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

This year is not at all what it should have been but you can't fire Keller after this year especially with all the injuries and departures. I get it the expectation is that we play in Katy and we are at or near the top of the SLC. After the season Ivey must address all the issues with injuries and guys leaving the program with Keller and his staff. These things must be addressed and plans put in place to mitigate this next year. You can fire Keller but you risk getting the reputation of a quick hook. Keller may not be the next Underwood and we should not settle for sitting at home in March but I think last year should give Keller at least 1 if not 2 more years. If next year is what this year has been then I think you have to at least consider your options. The school is pumping money into the program and they will want a return on that which includes wins and butts in the seats. This was the first year I bought season tickets and I am trying to decided if I want to renew them for next year or or just pay and go to games I am able to make.

Well thought out. I just happen to disagree,,, respectfully. I brought the Ned Fowler thing in because I'm convinced we are headed down that road. If we have Keller next year (the odds are in his favor) my minimum expectations would be 20 + wins and a higher than 3rd place finish. When I look at how he's managed the challenges I don't see him exceeding those expectations. When you have a reputation for a quick hook it is built over a number of years. I would argue that we have been to slow in most cases to pull the plug. This one could be one of those to slow to pull the plug.
sfa17
Next year will be a important year for Keller. No excuses. I don't care who gets injuried or if we don't get the right players in. You are getting payed the big bucks so you have to back it up. #noexcuses2019-20.
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Well thought out. I just happen to disagree,,, respectfully. I brought the Ned Fowler thing in because I'm convinced we are headed down that road. If we have Keller next year (the odds are in his favor) my minimum expectations would be 20 + wins and a higher than 3rd place finish. When I look at how he's managed the challenges I don't see him exceeding those expectations. When you have a reputation for a quick hook it is built over a number of years. I would argue that we have been to slow in most cases to pull the plug. This one could be one of those to slow to pull the plug.
I just hope things dont shake down like I ranted and raved about 2-3 weeks ago..It got deleted and I totally understand why and agree with taking it down.. But watch most of those things are gonna come true like it or not. With that being said gotta give Coach Keller a chance next year.. The BOR is pumping way to much money in the new facility and if Coach Keller cant do it next year then atleast we have the facility to draw a winning coach to replace him.. He is gonna have a huge hill to climb next year and I hope he climbs it.. I predict 1st thing will be staff changes... Plus Joe Max loves Coach Keller..Gotta respect Joe Max that is for sure...
Jacks4460
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

CA98 instead of buying season tickets just join the Varsity Club and then you get tickets also as part of the donor benefit.. They are rolling out a new program at the end of the school year so be looking for it...
cboothe09
2 years? Man is coaching for his job next year. It will be year 4. Thats about how long it takes to get the real identity of a program under a coaching staff. If next year is no better, well...If it is slightly better, it is decision time...If we see leaps and bounds of improvement, then he earns a couple more seasons.
BigJack85
Like I said 20 wins and at MINIMUM a 3rd place finish in conference gains him a one year extension. 22 or above I start looking at a 2 year extension. 25 wins and a conference tournament title gets him 3 more.

If I'm betting he comes in somewhere around 18 wins and a 3rd or 4th place finish in the SLC On the borderline or not worthy of an extension. Hope it's better. Way better but the hole that's been dug this year in terms of a viable bench and any real development of big men speaks loudly to the serious gaps in Keller's approach and frankly his staff. The big man development is absolutely nonexistent. If we are above average in EITHER the 4 spot or at point guard we are still in the mix for a decent seed. But with no development of Sammi, Gru or Fitzgerald and only one serviceable point guard we are lost. Just lost. All that is to say that Keller's staff is weak at the development piece from what I see.
sfa17
I think we have hit rock bottom , we can only go up. Conference titles don't matter but I would like to win one next year since its been a while and of course ncaa tourney(an appearance). I don't think that is too much to ask for based on the resource we have and the fan base.
nacluth
Hopefully this is what rock bottom feels like. I think the NCAA bid for sure gets him next year, but it's true that two substandard years under Ivey will not be ingratiating.
No-look
I still have to support Keller until proven otherwise. Don't see a pattern yet. He coached us to an NCAA bid last year against some not so good odds. Coaches and players gutted it out and made it happen. Came within 3 minutes of knocking off Tech. So what's different about this year? The answer is this years team is not near as talented. Coach K or Bill Self would not have a better situation if they were coaching this team.
If this year becomes a pettern of things to come then we can all agree but it seems like the perfect storm hit this year. So to next year: Recruiting staff has no room for error. We have a couple nice players coming in but we have to solidify the guard situation.
RedRiverLa
Just to diffuse any wild speculation on this board and in the national media, I will be back as a season ticket holder next year.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
nacluth
I guess I'll see you there too.
SFAJack_76
RedRiverLa said:

Just to diffuse any wild speculation on this board and in the national media, I will be back as a season ticket holder next year.
Ditto. We get ours through the Varsity Club contribution.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

RedRiverLa said:

Ditto. We get ours through the Varsity Club contribution.
Best way to get them!!!
Pilotgirl
RedRiverLa said:

I will be as well even tho I am moving to the Houston area....Will look into Varsity Club, as 76 pointed out! Want to make a couple of football games, too.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

RedRiverLa said:

I will be as well even tho I am moving to the Houston area....Will look into Varsity Club, as 76 pointed out! Want to make a couple of football games, too.

Well you can move, but consider yourself on the official traveling fan team for HBU, Sam, & Lamar.

In fact, given your current traveling fan status, consider yourself president of the Traveling fan team.
CertifiedAxeman98
Thanks, I will take a look. When I got the tickets this year I didn't understand or really know much about the Varsity Club. I heard more about it after I bought my tickets.
CertifiedAxeman98
He will get another year in my opinion. I doubt Ivey is going to make a change that quickly after one year on the job and considering injuries and 17/18. But the rope will run out if we don't get back on top of the SLC (the worse league in D1). If we are not on the top or close to it next year then I think Ivey must start looking around for potential targets. Do we know if Ivey has a Carthel type guy from his past that coaches basketball?
CertifiedAxeman98
No-look said:

I still have to support Keller until proven otherwise. Don't see a pattern yet. He coached us to an NCAA bid last year against some not so good odds. Coaches and players gutted it out and made it happen. Came within 3 minutes of knocking off Tech. So what's different about this year? The answer is this years team is not near as talented. Coach K or Bill Self would not have a better situation if they were coaching this team.
If this year becomes a pettern of things to come then we can all agree but it seems like the perfect storm hit this year. So to next year: Recruiting staff has no room for error. We have a couple nice players coming in but we have to solidify the guard situation.
Agreed guard play absolutely must improve next year on both ends of the floor. Putting chaos and disruption on a uniform is great but it must actually happen on the court.
PurpleOut
Staff
Highly recommend everyone joining the Varsity Club. Even if you aren't interested in season tickets, just get started on a low level and work your way up. It's a huge initiative now for the athletic department and every membership helps our athletic department and student athletes.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

RedRiverLa said:

Well you can move, but consider yourself on the official traveling fan team for HBU, Sam, & Lamar.

In fact, given your current traveling fan status, consider yourself president of the Traveling fan team.

You know me Texan! I will continue to travel to the weekend games for sure! I will take on this new role with honor...Speaking of...who will I see at Lamar??!! Gotta go support our Ladies (and gents even tho I am super frustrated)!
BigJack85
Pilot,

I am one of the Houstonians on this site. Along with a group of 50 somethings we tailgate at least two games a year. Sometimes three. If you drink beer you would have a great time ..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.