SFA / Central Arkansas (2)

28,239 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jacks 1-13 from three.
RedRiverLa
UCA is just showboating - how embarrassing. A program we were 19-1 against.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
MasterAxe
Through no effort of our own, looks like we will stay in 6th, with everyone around us, other than NWSt losing.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks 1-13 from three.
What are the chances?

Story of the night.
BigJack85
I hope I'm wrong This is just pathetic. Please evaluate closely Mr Ivey.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
No-look
Why are we not attempting a three?
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks 1-13 from three.

UCA has made 10. Might have something to do with the 20 point deficit.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks 1-13 from three.

UCA has made 10. Might have something to do with the 20 point deficit.
Make that 11.
TallTexan
They called what?
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

I hope I'm wrong This is just pathetic. Please evaluate closely Mr Ivey.

After tonight and rumblings that are still going on in the locker room... I am starting to lean towards the please evaluate closely Mr Ivey...can't you guys tell these guys don't really want to play for their coach..
MasterAxe
The biggest mis-direction this year was everyone on this board, myself included, believing that this team was talented.

In reality, we hve two talented basketball players.

That's it.

We have a bunch of other guys, who right now, are barely functional players.

Other than UIW, we have the worst ball handlers, shooters, defenders, rebounders and shot blockers on the court at any given time.

Oh, and we are massively out coached and out schemed every night.

We're gonna be damn lucky if we win a game the rest of the year.
TallTexan
Well, that was ugly. One step forward and two steps back every week this season.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Give the ball to Sammie, he's not going to shoot. Give the ball to Gru, he's not going to shoot. Give the ball to Bain, he's not going to shoot. Give the ball to Comeaux, he's not going to shoot.

Makes defense a lot easier for other teams when they only have to defend two players.
RedRiverLa
MasterAxe said:

The biggest mis-direction this year was everyone on this board, myself included, believing that this team was talented.

That's it.

Other than UIW, we have the worst ball handlers, shooters, defenders, rebounders and shot blockers on the court at any given time.

We're done. To think any 'run' is in this team to sneak into Katy, not gonna happen. I don't see a win on the table, either.
Lumberjack Battalion
Jacks4460
1 player was called the most "selfish individual I have ever been around" "we were able to hide it some last year by putting him on bench because of our depth"

1 player "was the 6th man and plays 0 D"...

These aren't my words either guys and gals..

So you are correct I think our hopes and expectations were way too high once TJ got hurt..
MasterAxe
RedRiverLa said:

MasterAxe said:

That's it.

We're done. To think any 'run' is in this team to sneak into Katy, not gonna happen. I don't see a win on the table, either.

I mean, we can make Katy, but it won't be because we win our way in. Like tonight, others losing around us is about our only hope.

Then, we're likely blown out at katy, if we make it
BigJack85
It's more than missing TJ. We haven't adjusted to the lack low post play at all. A little more rotation on the wing would help.
TallTexan
Mitch with 10 rebounds tonight.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I still don't blame Keller. No one can tell me that the UCA coach, who has barely won 30% of his career games at UCA and only made the SLC tournament once, "outcoached" Keller tonight.

When the Jacks hit 1 of 13 from three (many of them wide open shots) and UCA hits 11, that's not Keller's fault. When the Jacks have gone from having the #1 team in steals in the nation to one that allows unknown players and bad teams to score with relative ease on them, that's not Keller's fault. Keller and his staff didn't just suddenly forget how to coach.
MasterAxe
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I still don't blame Keller. No one can tell me that the UCA coach, who has barely won 30% of his career games at UCA and only made the SLC tournament once, "outcoached" Keller tonight.

When the Jacks hit 1 of 13 from three (many of them wide open shots) and UCA hits 11, that's not Keller's fault. When the Jacks have gone from having the #1 team in steals in the nation to one that allows unknown players and bad teams to score with relative ease on them, that's not Keller's fault. Keller and his staff didn't just suddenly forget how to coach.

You may be right, but we've lost 5/8, I believe, all by double digits and are constantly starting games horribly.

I think we all realize some bad things that have happened, but to place all blame on players isn't accurate.

At some point, the highest paid coach at SFA takes some blame, if not all.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No he didn't forget to coach suddenly but in my mind the first Keller season was a sign. Next season this debate will be more cogent so for now I'll stand down. If I could go to Vegas and bet on it, I would bet on us making only modest improvement next year. Just above .500. Sorry it's just what the stat lines tell you. We've diminished significantly in so many defensive categories we are not close to the same squad from 3 years ago.
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Then would you agree with me that the kids are ready for this season to be over with and don't really care about doing the things it takes to do to Win?
MasterAxe
The truth lies between two scenarios:

(1) Last year was a fluke
(2) This year is a fluke
Jacks4460
MasterAxe said:

At some point, the highest paid coach at SFA takes some blame, if not all.
Highest paid employee at SFA....
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

(2) This year is a fluke

Classically true......
No-look
We are extremely out matched in our guard play. Freshmen have to learn and that takes time. Love Johns hustle and he is a difference maker. But we don't have the seasoned guards to compete at the D1 level. Missing the presence of TJ in the front court. Mitch is learning and playing well. Shannon and Kevon are the only scoring threat and other teams are keying on that. We need to recruit some juco scoring guards that can create. Point guard has been a challenge.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Then would you agree with me that the kids are ready for this season to be over with and don't really care about doing the things it takes to do to Win?

OK. I reluctantly have to agree with you on that... It pains me greatly to say that about any SFA athletic team.
RedRiverLa
That's what I mean, we won't sneak our way in with a run, it will be given to us if we make it.
Lumberjack Battalion
No-look
MasterAxe said:

(2) This year is a fluke
I'm thinking if we had the players we had last year we would be in good shape. I didn't realize (somewhat) how valuable TJ, Leon and Canete was.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

MasterAxe said:

(2) This year is a fluke

Good food for thought.

Personally, I think the last four games last year (Katy and Dallas) was no fluke. That was a really good basketball team once they finally hit their stride at the end of the year. So, I'm going with option #2.

nacluth
Just watched the game. Ouch. That may have been the single worst Jacks shooting game I have ever seen.

Honestly the one conference loss that Underwood had in Corpus was my standard for ridiculously bad - mainly because there were so many good shooters on that team but that day they couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

Today though, we couldn't hit the barn from two feet. Forget all those ugly threes, I don't know if I have seen so many missed layups. Repeatedly. Our fg% looks fine statwise but that's just because we had a million opportunities.

We rebounded well. We didn't really turn the ball over (except when we were trying to get back into the game). Defense wasn't trash even if it wasn't inspired. UCA hit every open look. Not us though. No offensive options. Everyone was shooting to start but stopped when no one made any. Then it was just Kevon and Shannon.

Officially eliminated from any bye opportunity. Four teams one game behind us (most hold tiebreakers over us) with three brutal games to go. A win tonight would have nearly sealed our spot; now it's a hard, hard road to get to Katy.

Congratulations Bogues on your 1K. Hope it makes the sleep a little easier tonight.
RedRiverLa
Jacks4460 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Not really all in on this. I can see the first part as somewhat true, but when you don't have the talent, you can stay in the gym forever all season and it's going to be a limited affect. You can coach the perfect strategy but if you can't make a layup or go 1-13 on open threes, it's talent. You can't tell me Gru isn't a hard worker. But that only goes so far. Once we get past Kevin and Harris there's a huge drop off. You can't win with just two. I keep hearing two sides of the coin, they're selfish, but they need to take over. Honestly, I'm ready for the season to end.
Lumberjack Battalion
sfa17
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Give the ball to Sammie, he's not going to shoot. Give the ball to Gru, he's not going to shoot. Give the ball to Bain, he's not going to shoot. Give the ball to Comeaux, he's not going to shoot.

Makes defense a lot easier for other teams when they only have to defend two players.

So true
brlionfan44
RedRiverLa said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Not really all in on this. I can see the first part as somewhat true, but when you don't have the talent, you can stay in the gym forever all season and it's going to be a limited affect. You can coach the perfect strategy but if you can't make a layup or go 1-13 on open threes, it's talent. You can't tell me Gru isn't a hard worker. But that only goes so far. Once we get past Kevin and Harris there's a huge drop off. You can't win with just two. I keep hearing two sides of the coin, they're selfish, but they need to take over. Honestly, I'm ready for the season to end.
Southeastern Louisiana is managing to do pretty well in conference with only 2 main go to guys. After you get past Veal and Greenwood, their 3rd leading scorer averages 6 a game. I think the difference in the 2 teams is that SLU makes a commitment to guarding people where the SFA players don't seem willing to do that. It's meant for SLU, they can go on the road and win when they don't shoot it well because defense always travels. Just my thoughts on what I've seen from watching SFA.
No-look
RedRiverLa said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

True....Freshmen and backups are called on to play leading rolls. I didn't see any player last night that acted like they didn't want to win. If the so called "selfish " player wasn't in the line up it would be a MUCH bigger train wreck than it is. To me it's for sure a talent issue.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.