SFA / McNeese

31,821 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigJack85
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (12-10, 5-5) vs. McNeese (7-16, 3-7)

WHEN: FEB. 13 (WED) 6:30 P.M.
WHERE: WRJ Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

Wednesday night will see a matchup between two teams that show virtually no separation in their stat sheets. The Cowboys of McNeese State are a very average Southland team. In a year that saw a significant upgrade to their basketball facilities, they have not been able to get over the hump to meet potential promise in their key games. This has been especially true on the road where they are a dismal 1-10. One bright spot as of late is the play of G Roydell Brown who has been averaging over 20 ppg through the last 6 games. Fortunately for the Cowboys, they are coming against another team that has yet to meet its promise this year.

The Jacks have won three out of their last five, but the three wins were all nail biters that came down to the final possessions of regulation and their two losses were bad beats by rivals. Confidence seems to be at a season low. If there is one thing that truly sets these teams apart stat-wise, it's the minutes played. McNeese plays a 9 deep squad with significant minutes. Though the last couple games have seen more play by Oddyst Walker and Jovan Grujic, SFA has yet to give its only two steady contributors Harris and Bogues any meaningful rest during the game. The Lumberjacks are dominated by the play of these two, but success over 40 minutes continues to elude the squad while there is no confidence in other contributors. Can the Jacks put together a total team effort this season?

The remaining 8 games of the conference schedule are very favorable to SFA. They only play two games against teams with winning records, and those are the last two. Six games in a row against teams with worse records, and besides Incarnate Word, this is the must win. Amazingly, the Jacks are sitting in 5th in the SLC, but no men's team has won four games in four days at Katy. The Jacks are at their last gasp to make a run for that single bye. A loss Wednesday ends that dream - and almost assuredly ends even the most optimistic fan's dream of a return to the NCAA's. There's no better time than now to show up to WRJ and cheer the Jacks on to victory!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
MasterAxe
I feel another ass whoopin coming!

(Team TBA) LOL
TallTexan
I'm predicting we do the whooping.

SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I'm predicting we do the whooping.

There are about three guys on our team (two starters) that need to take Calipari's comments to heart about "taking the shot". Shoot the dadgum ball, guys! We can't depend on just two players to carry us on offense!
TallTexan
Gameday! Let's go avoid dropping an axe on our own foot.
RedRiverLa
Nacluth. You do such a great job with the breakdown. Thanks for the time and effort it takes!
PurpleOut
Staff
Anyone need tickets tonight?
nacluth
Thanks RRLa. I could write a lot more about every game but I'm pretty sure no one would read it. It's definitely tough writing something short with some pertinent info without becoming mind-numbingly boring with stats. Thanks for the love.
nacluth
Game Day!!!! This is our house. Let's keep it that way.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Game Day!!!! This is our house. Let's keep it that way.

Ha, where did you find this? This was from a video I made a LONG time ago.
No-look
RedRiverLa said:

Nacluth. You do such a great job with the breakdown. Thanks for the time and effort it takes!
This.
nacluth
Funny. Found it in a deep dive looking for gifs that might be used here. Where's the rest of the video?

thumbs.gfycat.com/GrandBeneficialAfricanparadiseflycatcher-size_restricted.gif
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
I'm going to need to see which team was shooting before I endorse this gif.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Funny. Found it in a deep dive looking for gifs that might be used here. Where's the rest of the video?

Found it. So it was just 6 years ago...feels like a LONG time ago. Voice over didn't quite work how I wanted, but good enough. If you're from Austin you might recognize the voice. This was before we had a real video person and was trying to get them to let me do some work. Thought it turned out ok, definitely was ok back then.

BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

nacluth said:

Found it. So it was just 6 years ago...feels like a LONG time ago. Voice over didn't quite work how I wanted, but good enough. If you're from Austin you might recognize the voice. This was before we had a real video person and was trying to get them to let me do some work. Thought it turned out ok, definitely was ok back then.

That was cool. I recall you putting that together. At first I thought it was Bob Phillips from Texas Country Reporter. It would be really interesting with new coliseum set up as a back drop. Nice... Great job.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

I feel another ass whoopin coming!

(Team TBA) LOL
If there is a game for SFA to pull it together and begin a solid run this would be the one. I sure hope so. With 8 games left I would be on the Keller Krew if we won 5 out of 8. That seems unlikely given our slow starts and abysmal rebounding but it could happen. Given the current state of affairs and the defection of so much talent and potential talent winning 5 of the next 8 (not impossible but unlikely) and then winning an opening game in the SLC tournament would be a solid ending to an otherwise below par year. I could live with 17 - 13 if there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Axe 'Em Jacks!!!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Man that was a fun team to watch. Smith inside and Bostic and Des doing their thing. Parker looks young and the one shot of the baby freshman Walkup! That was good. You did a nice job. Would love to see an updated six or seven minute video on the legacy of SFA basketball.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Jovan with the start. McNeese with the long 3 to start.
KirkHeath12
Sloppy so far
Class of 2012
Axe Em
nacluth
I can tell we will after five minutes and still down by one. McNeese isn't good.
nacluth
Loving the rotation change so far.
RedRiverLa
A lead. This lineup is our chance to run away with this thing. McNeese is just bad. Fitz!
Pilotgirl
Couldn't make it but watching at home.
KirkHeath12
Great subs right there!
Class of 2012
Axe Em
nacluth
Finally playing like a team. Even if it is against a bad team.
RedRiverLa
You know. I'd kind of like to see the rotation that was going on the run stay in the game together a little longer.
nacluth
Maybe, but I'm glad we're finally rotating like we believe in everyone. 6 scorers already.
RedRiverLa
Yes, that's a positive. It just felt like that rotation had some momentum.
nacluth
Already more rebounds than the whole last game.
nacluth
Hello double digit lead...been a while.
Jacks4460
Jovan is absolutely horrible..
RedRiverLa
Jacks4460 said:

Jovan is absolutely horrible..

I think he was coached that if you ever get lost on defense just put your hands up. His hands are up a lot.
nacluth
Really? I thought he's been doing good with positioning which is better than Fitzgerald. I mean he can't score, but...
Pilotgirl
Wow that little one taunting Key?? Bahahaha! Key could literally touch him & that Cowboy would pass out. Wow dude. #DontMessWithKevon

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.