SFA / Lamar

30,418 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MasterAxe said:

We all know the obvious issues (injuries, coaching, game IQ, etc...)

But, one thing that has really stood out to me is the complete lack of a consistent, relevant 3rd scorer.

(Emphasis on consistent)

Two thoughts:

(1) our guys are not skilled enough to consistently score in the SLC or (2) our coaches can't develop them.

I suspect both of these are true, at some level.

Flashes of scoring by Fitz and Bain just aren't good ebough.

Think of every NCAA team we've had...always had a 3rd guy, maybe even 4th.

Third guy on this team was supposed to be TJ. Plus a gamechanger in the lane. And I think if you have the 3rd guy, the 4th is a lot easier to find. IE, Canete coming out big against Tech.

MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

We all know the obvious issues (injuries, coaching, game IQ, etc...)

But, one thing that has really stood out to me is the complete lack of a consistent, relevant 3rd scorer.

(Emphasis on consistent)

Two thoughts:

(1) our guys are not skilled enough to consistently score in the SLC or (2) our coaches can't develop them.

I suspect both of these are true, at some level.

Flashes of scoring by Fitz and Bain just aren't good ebough.

Think of every NCAA team we've had...always had a 3rd guy, maybe even 4th.

Third guy on this team was supposed to be TJ. Plus a gamechanger in the lane. And I think if you have the 3rd guy, the 4th is a lot easier to find. IE, Canete coming out big against Tech.

Agreed. But TJ has been out all year, we've known that. Keller and staff have had all year to develop a 3rd or 4th and haven't. It's tough, I know, but that's the job of a coaching staff.
TallTexan
I don't disagree there. You'd have liked to see someone take a step forward, but they haven't yet.

I wonder what they do see in Sammi, maybe at full strength he plays well in practice, but I feel like I see better results out of Jovan and Mitch in game.

But then again, I'm not a coach for a reason.
TallTexan
Do we know when Jock is back from injury?
BigJack85
The way I look at it is trajectory. When I talk trajectory I'm just talking about this season (at this point). I realize we've been dealt some blows but we don't seem to have made any adjustments.... and Sammi. Hard to project him anywhere in this lineup but in the practice squad , to rigid, slows the whole offensive flow down. And the rebounding? That's just a sign of capitulation. Yes capitulation. I'm not saying they don't want to win. They just seem resigned to 8th place. If they miss that mark well.... it's no SLC tournament. That's a real concern. Not missing the tournament but that attitude seems to be the reason. And TJ. I think another concern should be Keller's ability to get some deep buy in on what he's trying to do. If TJ was confident in Keller he wouldn't be making a grad transfer.

I know I'm a negative ninny. Or maybe just realistic. All this goes back to an off balance program. Lots of talent not so much development.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
Is TJ making a grad transfer?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Is TJ making a grad transfer?

Sounds likely. And looking at this cluster **** I don't know if I blame him. Although one side of me says it could backfire on him in terms of playing time. We've seen it many times. A grad transfer turns into a role player,,, get 5-10 minutes a game.... maybe.

IMO, and it's not just for the sake of our program but for him. He's in a good spot at SFA and just with TJ and Kevon alone we should be improved if we can find a point guard rotation.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I wonder what they do see in Sammi, maybe at full strength he plays well in practice, but I feel like I see better results out of Jovan and Mitch in game.

As the season has progressed, I've developed less and less confidence in Sammy. His freshman year he looked like he was going to be a contributor offensively He actually looked very good then. Maybe his injuries have ruined his confidence. He is now a ZERO threat to score and doesn't even look toward the basket when he has the ball. Even Little Dribblers know to do that (in fact, they can't wait to shoot the ball). Against HBU the other night he was wide open from five feet, was almost in shock when he realized it, and almost missed the layin. We could just put a Sammy Big Head cut-out on the offensive end and get the same result. It could set the same picks that the real guy does.

Mitch is a much, much, much better option as a starter than Sammy. And Gru? Good for a few minutes here and there, but no more.

But our offensive problems are deeper than just Sammy. We only have two guys who can shoot the ball with consistent accuracy. As someone said last night, that makes for a 5-on-2 game, and that's not a winning formula very often in D-1 basketball.
sfa17
TallTexan said:

sfa17 said:

The season is done. We are just awful. We definitely have a few more losses left. Not fun to watch. This ship is not turning around anytime soon. We were out of the SLC title race in January lmao. I'm just gonna just the results after the games now.

At least we still have the Ladyjacks
I mean, I hate losing, and we're not a complete team this year who can dominate every game. But if you don't think it's fun to watch Kevon & Shannon play basketball... that's on you lol.

It's on me. I prefer winning.
BigJack85
I've said this previously. But Keller is probably "on the clock" with an $18 million training facility coming soon and the recent updates to the coliseum. Also, previously stated, other than Lamar we have by far the best facilities and spend the most on basketball.

That being said that doesn't mean we are guaranteed the conference title every year. However do think the facilities and investment should put a "basement" under us. Much of the debate as I see it is what is that basement??? Personally I believe that despite the injuries and defections we should be about a 17-13 team Good for 5th place. I doubt we meet that threshold.
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

TallTexan said:

sfa17 said:

The season is done. We are just awful. We definitely have a few more losses left. Not fun to watch. This ship is not turning around anytime soon. We were out of the SLC title race in January lmao. I'm just gonna just the results after the games now.

At least we still have the Ladyjacks
I mean, I hate losing, and we're not a complete team this year who can dominate every game. But if you don't think it's fun to watch Kevon & Shannon play basketball... that's on you lol.

It's on me. I prefer winning.
I don't disagree, but some years you're going to take a lot of lumps. And this appears to be one.

But IMO, when we're talking about SFA basketball in 20 years, we'll be telling them how we got to watch Shannon & Kevon play, to take over games and work their magic.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

As the season has progressed, I've developed less and less confidence in Sammy. His freshman year he looked like he was going to be a contributor offensively He actually looked very good then. Maybe his injuries have ruined his confidence. He is now a ZERO threat to score and doesn't even look toward the basket when he has the ball. Even Little Dribblers know to do that (in fact, they can't wait to shoot the ball). Against HBU the other night he was wide open from five feet, was almost in shock when he realized it, and almost missed the layin. We could just put a Sammy Big Head cut-out on the offensive end and get the same result. It could set the same picks that the real guy does.

Mitch is a much, much, much better option as a starter than Sammy. And Gru? Good for a few minutes here and there, but no more.

But our offensive problems are deeper than just Sammy. We only have two guys who can shoot the ball with consistent accuracy. As someone said last night, that makes for a 5-on-2 game, and that's not a winning formula very often in D-1 basketball.
I think an injured Sammy is definitely not our best option. I atleast like having Mitch on the defensive end playing Whack a mole with any shot that he can get a hand on.

And is Gru our best option? Definitely not, but he's the only person I've seen try to get open away from the ball this season, so if that's what it takes, I'll take it too.

If we're not going to beat people by outrebounding them, we might as well run a Comeaux, Walker, Bogues, Kevon, Seraille lineup and try to get some high flying takeaways, IMO.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I've said this previously. But Keller is probably "on the clock" with an $18 million training facility coming soon and the recent updates to the coliseum. Also, previously stated, other than Lamar we have by far the best facilities and spend the most on basketball.

That being said that doesn't mean we are guaranteed the conference title every year. However do think the facilities and investment should put a "basement" under us. Much of the debate as I see it is what is that basement??? Personally I believe that despite the injuries and defections we should be about a 17-13 team Good for 5th place. I doubt we meet that threshold.
Is he on the clock? Sure, no doubt. I just think that clock likely has this year and next year on it at the least.

My one gripe about Keller at this point, and this is a ticky tack point, much like complaining about the type of music at church, is that I prefer a full court press defense. I like watching it. I know that's not his style

Everything else has been thrown into turmoil by injuries and departures this year and I still think we've got one of the best staff's in the Southland. Time may tell that I'm wrong, but I don't think Ivey's throwing in the towel this March. That's just me.
MasterAxe
I think we all agree the season is trending the wrong way, but, we are still the champs, and until we're officially knocked out, there is always a glimmer of hope.

That being said, many of us are looking forward to the next year.

Best case: TJ, Mitch, Jock all return. John gets healthy. Nathan develops some sort of offensive game.

John, Kevon, Nate, TJ and Mitch...pretty good starting five. Jock, Sammi, Hart and (Insert recruit) make for a decent bench.

Worst case: TJ, Jock & Mitch leave. Ugh. No matter the cause, losing those guys, for whatever the reason, would be a critical blow.

Who knows what happens, so many variables, but at this point, we should assume nothing.
TallTexan
Quote:

Best case: TJ, Mitch, Jock all return. John gets healthy. Nathan develops some sort of offensive game.

John, Kevon, Nate, TJ and Mitch...pretty good starting five. Jock, Sammi, Hart and (Insert recruit) make for a decent bench.
I think that Nate's best contribution is as a Gilmore type player. Locks down players on D, athletic enough to get 5-10 points a game as a high flying option on fast breaks.

I kind of get the feeling that TJ is coming back. He's at every game. Always involved. Sure, he could decide to transfer, but he's still there for the team now and that counts for something.

Plus, I want to see what Kevon and TJ can do on the court together playing their best basketball. So I'm hopeful.
BigJack85
I hope AND pray you're right on TJ.

Why wouldn't Mitch return????
SFAJack_76
Perhaps because we have all resigned ourselves to the reality that this season is not going to go where we expect it to every season, but I am glad the conversation has moved from " Keller sucks; no he doesn't" to where we go from here. Also pleased to see more comments about the staff.

Mason has been a solid recruiter, other than PG, can he coach? I don't know.

Cox is largely credited with being a really, really good big man coach, yet our "bigs" are bad. Jovan has never become any more than a good cheerleader from the bench. Samuli is not, nor ever will be, athletic enough to be a good rebounder. Even when he gets in position, he is out worked by the other team. Fitzgelard wants to score. I questioned, based on his resume', what he would bring and was assured he was the answer to our needs inside. I must have asked the wrong question. Mitch is athletic, yet very immature as a team basketball player. Cox can help him become special if he will let him. Nicholas was a recruiting miss. I will always wonder if a year on the bench would have made a difference. Losing TJ for the season was huge. Nicholas sits the season, Fitzgerald and Samuli have someone to clean up their defensive messes, and Mitch gets to see what good looks like.

We all love Desmond for the four point play and more. Can he recruit? Can he coach? I don't know, but I do know we can't afford to have a place holder on the staff.

Yep, lots of variables for the 2019-2020 team. Keller will be back, unless for some reason he chooses to leave. Which players return? Does the staff remain intact? Do they recruit quality PG's?

Softball team is off to a good start, bowling is top ten in the country, T&F has some top athletes, football recruiting class is potentially the best ever at SFA. And, how about that Ladyjack basketball team!
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Perhaps because we have all resigned ourselves to the reality that this season is not going to go where we expect it to every season, but I am glad the conversation has moved from " Keller sucks; no he doesn't" to where we go from here. Also pleased to see more comments about the staff.

Cox is largely credited with being a really, really good big man coach, yet our "bigs" are bad. Jovan has never become any more than a good cheerleader from the bench. Samuli is not, nor ever will be, athletic enough to be a good rebounder. Even when he gets in position, he is out worked by the other team. Fitzgelard wants to score. I questioned, based on his resume', what he would bring and was assured he was the answer to our needs inside. I must have asked the wrong question. Mitch is athletic, yet very immature as a team basketball player. Cox can help him become special if he will let him. Nicholas was a recruiting miss. I will always wonder if a year on the bench would have made a difference. Losing TJ for the season was huge. Nicholas sits the season, Fitzgerald and Samuli have someone to clean up their defensive messes, and Mitch gets to see what good looks like.

We all love Desmond for the four point play and more. Can he recruit? Can he coach? I don't know, but I do know we can't afford to have a place holder on the staff.

Yep, lots of variables for the 2019-2020 team. Keller will be back, unless for some reason he chooses to leave. Which players return? Does the staff remain intact? Do they recruit quality PG's?

Softball team is off to a good start, bowling is top ten in the country, T&F has some top athletes, football recruiting class is potentially the best ever at SFA. And, how about that Ladyjack basketball team!

Nice post 76...
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Fantastic comments, 76. Very well thought out. Definitely a 'MBB Post of the Year' candidate!
No-look
Not sure that Nicholas sitting a year would have made a difference. Whatever trouble(issues) he had probably would have been there even if he had sat out. I guess the players can tune in here to see what kind of grade we access to them each week. Lol
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

That other recruit is Tylan Pope. From what I understand, he's a big body and a really tough rebounder. That's something that's obviously badly needed.
BigJack85
I wouldn't hurt Keller and staff to watch U of H vs Cincinnati. That U of H squad looks a little like our 2013-2014 squad but with twice the talent.
RedRiverLa
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Fantastic comments, 76. Very well thought out. Definitely a 'MBB Post of the Year' candidate!

Wait, is there an end of the year Sawmill Awards banquet? Dang, I fear once again I'm looking at 'least improved' poster of the year.
BigJack85
I really do think we should have a Sawmill Tailgate. That would be awesome. I know I have plans for a couple big tailgates this fall.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I really do think we should have a Sawmill Tailgate. That would be awesome. I know I have plans for a couple big tailgates this fall.
We'll have to plan one for Frisco.
TallTexan
PurpleOut, how were the new courtside seats?
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut, how were the new courtside seats?
A little different, but pretty cool. It was the tables that we saw a few weeks ago.

Pros: You have a table to sit stuff on, lean on, etc. You have room to stand. You're close to everything.
Cons: You're a little further back, so while it's courtside you're still towards the back next to the wall. You'll occasionally get people that stand in front of you. View isn't quite as good.

Personally, I'd rather sit closer to the court on the sideline. But it's a great idea. It's just a trial run to see what people think. I'm happy that they are looking into additional seating and welcome to ideas.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

Whoa... Back up the bus, Texan. Give the young guys a couple of years to mature. Let's just be satisfied with knocking off Prison Tech and getting a win or two in the FCS playoffs this fall. There's some growing and learning to do before we start beating NDSU and the other big boys regularly.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

Whoa... Back up the bus, Texan. Give the young guys a couple of years to mature. Let's just be satisfied with knocking off Prison Tech and getting a win or two in the FCS playoffs this fall. There's some growing and learning to do before we start beating NDSU and the other big boys regularly.

If now's not the time for unbridled optimism, then when is?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.