SFA / Lamar

30,458 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
RedRiverLa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When was the last double digit conference loss in WRJ?
nacluth
Yep. When your two big scorers get over 20 and you're down by 15 it's not a good look.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I'd like to see an offense that doesn't rely on hero ball to score.

Sure, we've got two studs, but we just played 5 on 2 for 40 minutes.
And even one of those studs was subpar tonight.
BigJack85
Missing TJ a lot.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
March 2, 2011 55-40 Sam Houston.
MasterAxe
Harsh reality:

As much as I'd like to stay positive, yikes, that was brutal.

We may be in the midst of the worst SFA season in the last 15 years, at least by record.

Kaspar has a 12 win team in 04-05 and a 15 win team in 06-07.

Surely we will win one more game. But, the team on the floor tonight might not be capable of 3 wins.

We may see a season, in which, we fail to qualify for the SLC tournament.

We're only like a game up on the 8th place team.

Hard to fathom, but it's just been a culmination of crap, that may be too much to overcome.

And, frankly, if we make the tourney, we're probably one and done.

I hate saying this, but nothing I've seen makes me think we're gonna get it figured out.
Pilotgirl
I'm so fed up with fans who leave with 4 or 5 minutes left. Just don't even show up if that's the case...Only good vibes allowed & get involved with the game!
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

I'd like to see an offense that doesn't rely on hero ball to score.

Sure, we've got two studs, but we just played 5 on 2 for 40 minutes.
And even one of those studs was subpar tonight.

I think YB injured his hand Wed.
Pilotgirl
BUUUUUUT...HOW BOUT THOSE LADYJACKS!

Hayes with a career record 30. I will shamelessly plug them in any thread.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

Hayes with a career record 35. I will shamelessly plug them in any thread.

I will Shamelessly plug them... Into the starting lineup for both games tonight.
MasterAxe
MasterAxe said:

Here comes an ass whoopin.

I can feel it.

For the record...I wasn't wrong here.
BigJack85
Master You are correct. Although the pessimist in me thinks we might not make the tournament at all. Wow how the mighty have fallen. I don't know what to think about this lineup sans Bogues and Kevon. Yikes. It's an unmitigated disaster when we get out rebounded like we have the last 6-7 games. A lot of that is effort. Enough with the tweeting and "we are on a mission". The only mission we are on is to avoid total embarrassment. The miracle at Sharp Gymnasium showed how utterly lost we are without TJ and a reasonable point guard duo. Bogues should be in the 2 slot with Kevon playing the 3. Hard to say that's happening when Bogues is having to be a 1/2 hybrid.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

Hayes with a career record 35. I will shamelessly plug them in any thread.

I will Shamelessly plug them... Into the starting lineup for both games tonight.

Whatever it takes!
RedRiverLa
Walkup deservedly casts a huge shadow. But watching tonight's game and most of this season makes me really appreciate the players that Ivan and Leon were for us. And of course, even an injured Ty. I feel for bogues an Harris, they are leaving everything out there.
cboothe09
Pick yourself up. Get in the gym. Get better. Play better. Only thing we can do...
BigJack85
My guess is that we win 3-4 more games.

McNeese, UIW, A&M CC. Maybe one odd game beyond that.
RedRiverLa
cboothe09 said:

Pick yourself up. Get in the gym. Get better. Play better. Only thing we can do...

Agreed. Other than Bogues and Harris, I just don't think you can change the lack of confidence all our players have in themselves. They keep looking for Bogues and Harris to save them every time.
BigJack85
RedRiverLa said:

cboothe09 said:

Agreed. Other than Bogues and Harris, I just don't think you can change the lack of confidence all our players have in themselves. They keep looking for Bogues and Harris to save them every time.

My guess is that they've been doing that already.... we have the biggest and most expensive staff in the SLC. Let's hope they can prove there worth down the stretch and win more than 2-3 games. I don't like what I'm seeing but it's not because we are losing (which I hate) it's because I don't see ANY adjustments. We start every game slow and languid. I just don't understand the lack of intensity.
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

RedRiverLa said:

cboothe09 said:

My guess is that they've been doing that already.... we have the biggest and most expensive staff in the SLC. Let's hope they can prove there worth down the stretch and win more than 2-3 games. I don't like what I'm seeing but it's not because we are losing (which I hate) it's because I don't see ANY adjustments. We start every game slow and languid. I just don't understand the lack of intensity.

BigJack you are correct about the lack of intensity at the start.. I have no clue as to why the coaches don't have these guys jacked up at the start of a game.. I could see the kids wanting this year to be over with..
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

MasterAxe said:

Here comes an ass whoopin.

I can feel it.

For the record...I wasn't wrong here.

Nope! You nailed it.

Just make sure you specify the team next time.
TallTexan
Piss poor rebounding cost us the game. Felt we did a slightly better job getting a hand in the face of shooters on D, but we gave up so many 2nd and 3rd chances.

Not sure we have a big on the team who'd earn more than 5 minutes a game if TJ was healthy.
TallTexan
Also, great job to Lamar for crashing the boards after every attempt. Multiple times tonight we got our hands on the ball first and then couldn't get a handle because we were surrounded by Lamar players also fighting for the ball.
sfajack05
All the talent in the world but a coach who can't put it all together.
BigJack85
60% of rebounding is effort. 40% is positioning.
RedRiverLa
BigJack85 said:

Usually, But Sammi and Jovan readjusted that to 90-10, because they had position but it never payed off with a strong pull down.
RedRiverLa
Thanks!
PurpleOut
Staff
Just got home. I'm worn out y'all.

I'm just...tired. That's all I got.
No-look
RedRiverLa said:

BigJack85 said:

Usually, But Sammi and Jovan readjusted that to 90-10, because they had position but it never payed off with a strong pull down.
We did get trounced on the boards but Lamar's bigs were very big and more athletic. Right now we don't matchup in that area
No-look
sfajack05 said:

All the talent in the world? We have two high level starters. Players that usually are backups are asked to take on starting positions. We are thin at every position. Starting post out, backup post gone, starting pg gone, Sammy playing hurt, Jock out with injury, Mitch getting some PT but still learning as a freshman. Etc...
HJC69
Speaking of Ass Whoopins, This is the third straight Lamar has put on us. Our healthy players, not Ke and Shannon, have to somehow step up or be taught how to step up. Can't lay it all on Sammy .
sfa17
The season is done. We are just awful. We definitely have a few more losses left. Not fun to watch. This ship is not turning around anytime soon. We were out of the SLC title race in January lmao. I'm just gonna wait for the results after the games now.

At least we still have the Ladyjacks
TallTexan
No-look said:

sfajack05 said:

All the talent in the world? We have two high level starters. Players that usually are backups are asked to take on starting positions. We are thin at every position. Starting post out, backup post gone, starting pg gone, Sammy playing hurt, Jock out with injury, Mitch getting some PT but still learning as a freshman. Etc...
Yep. Our starting lineup would have been Aaron, Shannon, Kevon, Bain, & TJ. That's a heck of a lineup. Heck, last year we had Shannon coming off the bench.

We have Shannon, Kevon, & Bain healthy. And no backups so to speak in most areas.

Will Keller work out long term? Who knows at this point? I know we were in top shape and made the tourney last year in his second season.

But coaching around injuries is tough. Look at Kansas. Did Bill Self suddenly forget how to coach? No, he lost a key player to injury. And he has 5 star recruits as backups.

Would we love to win more. Sure. Of course we would. But things don't work as you'd think when 2 of your projected 5 starters, both of whom would have been all conference if healthy, are not playing this year. That's just bad breaks.

And I still wouldn't put it past Kevon & Shannon to put up a heck of a fight in the SLC tourney.
MasterAxe
We all know the obvious issues (injuries, coaching, game IQ, etc...)

But, one thing that has really stood out to me is the complete lack of a consistent, relevant 3rd scorer.

(Emphasis on consistent)

Two thoughts:

(1) our guys are not skilled enough to consistently score in the SLC or (2) our coaches can't develop them.

I suspect both of these are true, at some level.

Flashes of scoring by Fitz and Bain just aren't good ebough.

Think of every NCAA team we've had...always had a 3rd guy, maybe even 4th.

MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

sfajack05 said:

Yep. Our starting lineup would have been Aaron, Shannon, Kevon, Bain, & TJ. That's a heck of a lineup. Heck, last year we had Shannon coming off the bench.

We have Shannon, Kevon, & Bain healthy. And no backups so to speak in most areas.

Will Keller work out long term? Who knows at this point? I know we were in top shape and made the tourney last year in his second season.

But coaching around injuries is tough. Look at Kansas. Did Bill Self suddenly forget how to coach? No, he lost a key player to injury. And he has 5 star recruits as backups.

Would we love to win more. Sure. Of course we would. But things don't work as you'd think when 2 of your projected 5 starters, both of whom would have been all conference if healthy, are not playing this year. That's just bad breaks.

And I still wouldn't put it past Kevon & Shannon to put up a heck of a fight in the SLC tourney.

You're assuming we make the SLC tourney. I hate to say it, it's realistic we don't.
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

The season is done. We are just awful. We definitely have a few more losses left. Not fun to watch. This ship is not turning around anytime soon. We were out of the SLC title race in January lmao. I'm just gonna just the results after the games now.

At least we still have the Ladyjacks
I mean, I hate losing, and we're not a complete team this year who can dominate every game. But if you don't think it's fun to watch Kevon & Shannon play basketball... that's on you lol.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.