SFA / Central Arkansas

29,531 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by No-look
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jacks move back into fourth we the win.
Pilotgirl
RedRiverLa said:

You know, Nathan Bain had a great night. Unsung hero.

He always is....
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Mitch didn't score much, but he was very good tonight!

It may not be totally obvious by box score alone, but he gets better and better each time he plays.
Yes. If he cuts down on fouls, he could be a very important asset down the stretch.
RedRiverLa
And to think, we were two point blank layups away at the end of reg from being dejected. Oh well, time we got some form of payback from that NSU finish.
RedRiverLa
Ladyjacks win by 6. 59-53.
Pilotgirl
Sam defeats SELA in their house
RedRiverLa
Pilotgirl said:

RedRiverLa said:

You know, Nathan Bain had a great night. Unsung hero.

He always is....
Like the coach said, his activity hasn't been turning into achievements for the team - but it did tonight and they hoped he turned a corner. Huge heart guy - always brings effort.
TallTexan
So we'll see you all at WRJ South on Saturday?
RedRiverLa
So, different topic - Big Ten Network showing Illinois and Minn now. Getting a little Brad Underwood fix.
jboy93
Had to miss the game again...sadly! Looks like I missed an exciting game! Go JACKS!!
Brad may be missing some JACKS basketball too. Looks like it's going to be a 20+ loss season for him!
I don't think anyone had this score on the contest?!
nacluth
TallTexan said:

I'll be there. I'll post some stuff in the tailgate thread, but we have a tradition of hitting up BBQ before the game. Anyone will be welcome to meet up.
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

Had to miss the game again...sadly! Looks like I missed an exciting game! Go JACKS!!

Nah. An easy victory by the Jacks. No sweat. Had it from start to finish. Never threatened. UCA was never in it. Jacks defense was awesome. If Kevon and Fitz would have had good games it would have been even easier.

OK, I lied..... A lot...
jboy93
So glad to see Mitch tonight!!! I think he has turned the corner. Looking forward to what he can become!!!
No-look
Fitz came up big tonight. Great team effort.
No-look
RedRiverLa said:

And to think, we were two point blank layups away at the end of reg from being dejected. Oh well, time we got some form of payback from that NSU finish.
It's that WRJ magic! Not sure the second put back would have counted.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

TallTexan said:

I'll be there. I'll post some stuff in the tailgate thread, but we have a tradition of hitting up BBQ before the game. Anyone will be welcome to meet up.

We will be there too but prolly right when the girls start to play. V gets off at 3.
Jacks4460
jboy93 said:

So glad to see Mitch tonight!!! I think he has turned the corner. Looking forward to what he can become!!!

Mitch is a difference maker..I wanna see the young man suceed he is our next big star once he grows up which he is doing right in front of us..
nacluth
Here's some more meaningless post-game shower thoughts:

The Jacks have had exactly one D1 game this season where they scored more than 75 points prior to tonight's game. SFA has been needing an uptick in offense, and they got it tonight. You knew it was going to be a different kind of game when Fitzgerald started the game off on a personal 10 point run. It turned out to be a complete team effort that saw 105 points, 47 rebounds, 19 assists, 6 blocks, 4 double-digit scorers, and nine players finally all seeing more than 5 minutes of play. And a W at the end to move the Jacks from 7th place in the standings to 4th.

It's the kind of game where there's almost too much to make much sense out of, but here's a couple of thoughts.

Our win last Wednesday against ACU saw us taking a high scoring team and forcing them to play our style of physical grinding basketball. Tonight saw us open up the game to try to let our offense flow and score points. It may not have been forcing UCA into a whole new style of play, but it was still a game where we dictated the pace. It was refreshing to see that we had another speed than first gear. Next, it will be nice to see if we can close out a game before the final ticks of the game clock.

This was the game we needed Mitch Seraille. Sammy was slowed with ankle issues from the last game, and while he played solid, he just didn't quite have the pace for this game. Mitch made a much needed return to form and had quick hands and feet all night...and he did not have butterfingers around the basket. He finished. Thank you Mitch for staying with this team. We want you here.

Bain played out of his mind tonight. He can have such an impact on games that just doesn't show up on stat sheets, but his hops, quickness, and tenacity are what this team is (or at least should be) all about. He's finally showing that he can be the kind of player everyone has said he's had the potential to be the last four years.

Yeah Bogues had an off night...only 18 pts, 4 asts, 2 blocks, 2 rebs. He's now had a SFA record 19 games in a row with double digit scoring output. And what about that block at the end of regulation? 42 minutes playing and he looked at the end that his legs were going, but I will trust that man's dead legs any day.

Kevon and Fitz, thanks for being studs. Please be studs on Saturday. Thank you for making Saturday mean something. We still play 8-0 Sam twice. We can narrow that gap by knocking that silly 0 off their face. I trust you Kevon. You'll make me proud just like you did tonight.

One week and we clipped the #2 and #3 teams in the SLC's wings...on to #1. Axe 'em.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
Fitz scoring 29 is great. But can he score 29 and bag more than 3 rebounds on Saturday?

Bain had that many rebounds on one possession.
TallTexan
It may be tough on your health, but you definitely get your money's worth with an SFA game.
Pilotgirl
Tonite was team effort all the way around.

Since everyone is on this thread....give a follow to SFA's Sports Business Society! V is an officer (forget which one) and is in charge of their social media on Twitter & Insta. The organization supports students who want to work in the sports industry.

cboothe09
Good team win. Followed along on stat tracker. Not sure if it was better or worse for my heart than watching live. Either way, judging by the comments here and what i saw there, this was a good team win. Needed that. Saturday won't be easy, but Hooten is 1-15 against us sooo... Hope i can make it up there!
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Yeah Bogues had an off night.. He's now had a SFA record 19 games in a row with double digit scoring output. .
I did not know that. That's an absolutely AMAZING statistic! How many years has SFA played roundball?!?!

(Good post-game shower review, BTW...)
TallTexan
How many points away from 1000 is Shannon?
nacluth
Ok, here's some stat correction on my part.

Shannon now has 20 games straight with more than 10 points. That ties him for third all time in Jacks history with Antonio Burks. Nathan Randle over the '91-'92 and '92-'93 seasons had 30 games for the record. Patrick Gusters is in second place with 25 straight. It does seem likely that if Shannon finishes this season healthy that he will break the record.

Rob Meyers in his commentary last night said that Shannon needed 19 points in the game to reach 1,000 points. He actually needed 149 points. After his 18 point off-night, he's down to 131. The aforementioned Nathan Randle was the fastest to get there for a Lumberjack when he did it in 54 games - coincidentally the same amount of games Shannon has played.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
jboy93
Looking at some of the video clips, it seems Mitch was very active on the bench as well. Loved seeing that from him. Looks like now he is truly a Lumberjack!!!
nacluth
Just some food for thought moving to the next game. It's funny that they have this listed as a home game for Sam. They be wrong.

cboothe09
Fake News...Everybody knows we are the favorites
PurpleOut
Staff
Phone died right after game last night.

Definitely a fun game, happy to see us play so well offensively. While it can be said we played better than normal shooting, so did UCA. They always have some shooters, but they're not quite the same offensive club that they were with Howard. But kudos to them for knocking down big shots when we would get a lead.

More praise for Mitch, I thought he played great. If he can just channel and limit his frustration he wouldn't have picked up so many quick fouls. I think they can work on him and develop him into a really good player.

Saturday will be tough. Sam isn't as good as their record IMO, but they're playing well and we'll have to play even better to get the W.

We're averaging 100.5 PPG when I sit courtside. Just sayin.
TallTexan
We'll have to play even better and bring the crowd. If we get a good contingent there, it fires our guys up while demoralizing the home team.
No-look
I watched Lamar and Sam play Saturday. Sam shot the three really well. We will have to defend the three. The two brothers had it going. We win if we play our best.
SFAJack_76
Just read through the game thread. Not much to add, but just a few random thoughts.

Mitch and Nathan need to stay out of foul trouble. Samuli is really struggling with that ankle. He was hobbling off the floor after the final buzzer. Not sure how much he will have to give on Saturday.

Love Hughes passion and energy through and after the game. Hopefully he is back on the court in three weeks or so.

Mitch is one of the most athletic players I have ever seen at SFA. His upside is ridiculous. Hoping he is aligning with positive influences. His overall deameanor was so much better.

Fitzgerald will never be a good rebounder. He does not position well and does not make the effort. Another reason Mitch and Nathan need to stay out of foul trouble.

Kevon. Wow. If he puts two games in a row together like that, Sam is toast.

Finally, where the heck was everybody? Not the weather. Even with the challenges, this bunch is becoming a team, and a fun team to watch.
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

KJust read through the game thread. Not much to add, but just a few random thoughts.

Mitch and Nathan need to stay out of foul trouble. Samuli is really struggling with that ankle. He was hobbling off the floor after the final buzzer. Not sure how much he will have to give on Saturday.

Love Hughes passion and energy through and after the game. Hopefully he is back on the court in three weeks or so.

Mitch is one of the most athletic players I have ever seen at SFA. His upside is ridiculous. Hoping he is aligning with positive influences. His overall deameanor was so much better.

Fitzgerald will never be a good rebounder. He does not position well and does not make the effort. Another reason Mitch and Nathan need to stay out of foul trouble.

Kevon. Wow. If he puts two games in a row together like that, Sam is toast.

Finally, where the heck was everybody? Not the weather. Even with the challenges, this bunch is becoming a team, and a fun team to watch.
On attendance, maybe the 6:30 start is a little early? People getting home from work late makes it hard to get there on time?
TallTexan
6:30 is a little early for me since we're driving in from Palestine. But I think the Wednesday games hurt attendance probably more than anything.
HJC69
WHERE are the 13,000 students? It's a mystery.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.