SFA / Central Arkansas

29,225 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by No-look
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (10-8, 3-3) vs. Central Arkansas (10-11, 5-3)

WHEN: JAN. 30 (WED) 6:30 P.M.
WHERE: WRJ Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

Coming off their first back-to-back wins against D1 teams this season, the Lumberjacks will try to get a real winning streak going against the Bears of Central Arkansas. The math is pretty simple. Both teams are coming in with 3 losses in conference play. One team will leave with a higher place in the standings.

Last year in their first meeting in Conway, the Jacks saw two of the greatest individual performances of the SLC season. Unfortunately, both were on UCA's side as Jordan Howard and Thatch Unruh combined for 493 points (ok actually 71 points). The loss kept SFA from being able to catch SELA and Nicholls down the stretch for the SLC title. Another loss this year will probably close the door on any remaining small chance of a title this year as well.

This UCA team is a lot different than the one led by the virtually unguardable Howard. Without a reliable offensive threat, the team offense of the Bears has had trouble against good team defenses. Guard DeAndre Jones and center Hayden Koval lead their inside out attack. While their three point percentage isn't what it was, they still have the ability to hit from deep. This opens their pair of 7 footers to work the inside. Koval is especially tough on defense inside blocking shots at a prodigious rate.

Their team is not good at traveling though with a 3-10 record on the road. This should benefit the Jacks, but the Bears are a confidence team. If they get ahead, they play with more resolve. It will be imperative at home for SFA to slow them at the start and impose their will on the game. Fitz and Sammy will have to move the their bigs out of their spots. Nate and Kevon will have to keep their potent defense out on the arc.

Will this be the game that the offense clicks or will it be another grinder? It's yet to be seen. Defense leads to offense, but so far, the offense has been marginal. Bogues and Harris are solid with their performances, but can we get anyone else involved? Wednesday night will be the set up for a chance to take undefeated Sam down a peg. But the only way to get where we want is to take care of business at home.

Axe 'em Jacks.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
Great great assessment. Really on target. In my mind if we get 10-12 points from Nathan Bain and the Big 2 play well we are in good shape.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Thanks BigJack. It may be too early for seeding talk, but Sam has to go to SELA on Wed. It sure would be nice for the resurgent Lions to take down the bearkats for us. Also Corpus goes to Abilene in a pair up of two loss teams. One will come out down a peg. It will do the Jacks a lot of good to grab this win.
nacluth
Game day!!!! It's time to get down to business and start putting some W's together.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
I know of several pairs of tickets available tonight for free.
No-look
Need to play well early and take command so Kevon and Shannon can take a few breathers.
djsfw57
Wish I could be at the game tonight. It's currently 8 below zero here with a wind chill of -39. Nacogdoches sounds heavenly. LOL
Ballwatch
PurpleOut said:

I know of several pairs of tickets available tonight for free.

I'm interested in a pair
TallTexan
djsfw57 said:

Wish I could be at the game tonight. It's currently 8 below zero here with a wind chill of -39. Nacogdoches sounds heavenly. LOL

We'll help you unpack the moving truck.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

djsfw57 said:

Unpack?? Why not go up there and help him on the loading end, Texan??
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

djsfw57 said:

Unpack?? Why not go up there and help him on the loading end, Texan??

I'm just a supervisor for moving and given the weather, I can supervise remotely.
SFAJack_76
All 11 available players suited up.
nacluth
Would love to see nine get 5 minutes
No-look
Where's Kevon?
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy
Alright Devontae.
Pilotgirl
Fitz shot is here tonight!
SFASawmillGuy
Also, tiny crowd on TV. I'm hoping it's because of the weather and not the fans losing faith.
RedRiverLa
Well, string of turnovers gets it close again. Not sure what Comeaux sees when he tries to go through two defenders. And they're still getting wide open 3s.
Pilotgirl
SFA_03 said:

Also, tiny crowd on TV. I'm hoping it's because of the weather and not the fans losing faith.

Not as many as last week.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Is Mitch on the bench?
nacluth
Time for Kevon to take over
KirkHeath12
Well there is Mitch...
Class of 2012
Axe Em
nacluth
Bring it Mitch.
Pilotgirl
Yes Mitch is here....he was 1st player next to coaches on bench.
KirkHeath12
Bad foul
Class of 2012
Axe Em
SFA Jack Fanatic
That last foul on Mitch was not a foul.
KirkHeath12
We give up so many damn threes
Class of 2012
Axe Em
KirkHeath12
For sure was a foul on him
Class of 2012
Axe Em
nacluth
Bad news Is that UCA is scoring pretty well. Good news is with 9 left we have more points than most of our first halves lately.
Pilotgirl
Key isn't here mentally...a few east turnovers. Hoping he gets hot soon....we need a run big time
nacluth
Happy that bench players are getting minutes. Can Jock play yet?
nacluth
Mitch is looking locked in.
TallTexan
Just got here. Glad to see Mitch is back.
nacluth
7 UCA threes. Edit 8.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.