SFA / New Orleans

28,929 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CertifiedAxeman98
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
TallTexan said:

Gru. Fan favorite. Team leader.

Don't tell us, SHOW US. It didn't work last week after everyone said the same thing.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

"Respect the Gru!"
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
Also to be fair, I would have said this game tonight would have been our highest chance to lose. I already said UNO is tough, and we're not good on the road.
nacluth
Agree. UNO is a tough team at home, but no points in last 2:53 is not good. We haven't won two D1 games in a row. We got to start there. One win. We're now to must win time because we still have "hard" games coming.
MasterAxe
One of my New Years resolutions was to not let what I can't control influence how I feel.

Already enough negativity in the world.

This is a game. Am I disappointed we lost, yes. Absolutely.

But, I'm remaining positive.

Y'all remember this when we get it figured out.

I can feel it. It's gonna happen.
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

"Respect the Gru!"
Dude I like the "quiet yet"... Get em Gru I hope things get turned around.. if not I will still be a member of the Varsity Club...
No-look
Put together a win streak and we fine.
nacluth
Isaac, what have we learned?
TallTexan
Start the UIW thread. Let's go beat UIW. Those parakeets ain't gonna no what hit them!

migata33
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

"Respect the Gru!"
21 turnovers last night.....21! Free throws atrocious as usual. Team is clearly pressing in a lot of ways and I am certain players are going off game plan and trying to create scoring on their own. This team has to stay disciplined and let the offense flow as Coach designs it. If a team is staying in their offense and everyone is on the same page then you don't have 21 turnovers. Right now no one can hit a 3 pointer with any regularity but Bogues...no one! You might as well run the Princeton offense of cuts and picks cause if you are expecting one on one and anything beyond 15 feet to go in regularly then you might need to watch a Duke or Buffalo game and pretend they are SFA. What do we need now....team needs to stay calm and focused and believe and trust in each other and attack the basket. Yes I know we have Southland ref's and they are a slight step up from middle school but attack none the less because 25-28 points in a half is not gonna win many games and right now if something doesn't get fixed neither will SFA. I trust Coach Keller and his staff and we have a great group of young men and whatever happens....happens and this season is certainly not lost yet as we have as a whole a far more talented roster than anyone else in conference. Go Jacks!
SFAJack_76
" Free throws atrocious as usual."

Actually 13-17 (76.5%) I agree with nearly everything else you say, but this makes it look like you are looking for random stuff to complain about whether it is accurate or not. Atrocious would be UNO's 60.9%.
No-look
Beat IW Saturday and win two home games and were back in the race. That's doable.
No-look
MasterAxe said:

One of my New Years resolutions was to not let what I can't control influence how I feel.

A voice of reason.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Well, one good thing happened during the game last night (good for me, anyway). The wife and I went to a Cirque du Soliel performance in Houston. Before it started I checked the score on my little smartphone and it said 15-2, SFA. I smiled, said "It's about time!", and put it on airplane mode. We enjoyed the performance. After it was over, I woke up my little smartphone, checked the final score, and said "Are you kidding me? Not again!'

(Being able to enjoy the Cirque performance in total ignorance of the game was the good thing.)
BigJack85
No-look said:

MasterAxe said:

A voice of reason.

I hope so. This is embarrassing......
Jacks4460
No-look said:

MasterAxe said:

A voice of reason.
Indeed about letting it get you negative... There is a whole lot of negativity going on in the world.. I agree with a post I read where we are pressing a little to hard instead of relaxing and go do what we do.. Thanks for the words BigJack..
ljax1979
Three things.

1. Without Mitchell, Aaron and Karl I'm surprised we were this competitive on the road. Shannon and Kevon's legs may fall off before the Southland Conference tournament begins.

2. Davonte shot three, three pointers yesterday and made none. He is now shooting 28% from beyond the arc. Please make him run wind sprints every time he shoots that far away.

3. Does it seem to you guys/girls that we are having more character issues than in years past? I remember Leon Gilmore got in Keller's doghouse a few times but I don't remember Underwood or Kaspar having this many issues. Then again, I'm glad we're not having to deal with what Mike Boynton and Oklahoma State are immersed in right now.
nacluth
1.) Agree that it was a decent showing, but Kevon and Bogues will typically be enough to battle most teams by themselves. They can't do it sustained for 40 minutes is the lesson of this season.

2.) Fitz's shooting from wherever can be maddening. Like Canete, he's streaky. Either he hits everything or nothing.

3.) I don't know about more character issues. Underwood had his share too, but success and stronger locker room leadership helped cover it.

I personally really didn't like seeing Karl and Mitch cutting up in the stands before the Marist game. I thought it was odd that they were watching the ladies' game and seemed unconcerned about their game next. Only to find out they were benched. I know they're kids, but that was irksome.

I don't know how coaches do it. They have to sell these kids on coming to a program by telling them how great they are, and then tell them that they are only as good as their team. Still, knuckleheads need to be kicked to the curb.
No-look
ljax1979 said:

Three things.

1. Without Mitchell, Aaron and Karl I'm surprised we were this competitive on the road. Shannon and Kevon's legs may fall off before the Southland Conference tournament begins.

2. Davonte shot three, three pointers yesterday and made none. He is now shooting 28% from beyond the arc. Please make him run wind sprints every time he shoots that far away.

3. Does it seem to you guys/girls that we are having more character issues than in years past? I remember Leon Gilmore got in Keller's doghouse a few times but I don't remember Underwood or Kaspar having this many issues. Then again, I'm glad we're not having to deal with what Mike Boynton and Oklahoma State are immersed in right now.
Maybe it's an issue of players not buying in one hundred percent. That will show in how one conducts himself on and off the court. Education is paid for players that want it. The cost to players is taking care of the opportunity that's been given them. When guys or gals are all in there will be success.
cboothe09
The doghouse thing is interesting. I know players rarely made Kaspar's doghouse, mainly because they knew how bad it would be to end up there. Guys would find their way into a fun spot with Underwood every once in a while.

I was thinking about Keller and figured it was just Gilmore and Fisher really, but looking at the past rosters we have Leon Gilmore, Isaiah Traylor, Lasani Johnson, Stefon Fisher, Karl, Mitch, and Jock.

Granted, Lasani, Stefon, Mitch, and Jock are all freshmen, and Karl is a first year player in the system. Maybe Keller is working them to fit his system? Maybe they are just being freshman and it is young immaturity? Mitch seems to be figuring it out (Minus last night). Karl had been doing really well until the last two games. I think Jock is more of a learning college basketball. He is struggling finding his shot and getting open, but showed flashes against Northwestern State.
BigJack85
Good points ljax. The talent we have "should" keep us in every game. I don't think we are getting the most out of our talent. By that I mean "athletically we are as good or better" than any team in the SLC. Why then do we struggle with consistency? That's the million dollar or in the case of Keller the $350,000 question. I expect some ups and downs this year with the injuries but let's be real the train is about (if not already) coming off the track. I don't want to be alarmist but if we lose to UIW the season is pretty much done with the exception of some late season run that would be highly unlikely.

One other thing while I'm ranting.... How do you think TJ is viewing this cluster 7u@k? Incentive for him to spend another year in Nacogdoches? Idk?
ljax1979
I would be shocked if Holyfield came back. He has to be receiving significant interest from Power 5 schools. The lure of being a free agent to essentially pick where you would fit the most and have the most success has to be tantalizing. I know he's not an NBA player but playing oversees is certainly in his future and I wonder if that plays into his decision of which school he goes to as well.
SFAJack_76
ljax1979 said:

I would be shocked if Holyfield came back. He has to be receiving significant interest from Power 5 schools. The lure of being a free agent to essentially pick where you would fit the most and have the most success has to be tantalizing. I know he's not an NBA player but playing oversees is certainly in his future and I wonder if that plays into his decision of which school he goes to as well.
I suspect other schools would be extremely interested in how TJ's shoulder recovers. Some never fully recover. Ty Charles for example. Ty recently gave up on his playing career due to lingering issues that surgery did not fix.
Txjack
nacluth said:

1.) Agree that it was a decent showing, but Kevon and Bogues will typically be enough to battle most teams by themselves. They can't do it sustained for 40 minutes is the lesson of this season.

2.) Fitz's shooting from wherever can be maddening. Like Canete, he's streaky. Either he hits everything or nothing.

3.) I don't know about more character issues. Underwood had his share too, but success and stronger locker room leadership helped cover it.

I personally really didn't like seeing Karl and Mitch cutting up in the stands before the Marist game. I thought it was odd that they were watching the ladies' game and seemed unconcerned about their game next. Only to find out they were benched. I know they're kids, but that was irksome.

I don't know how coaches do it. They have to sell these kids on coming to a program by telling them how great they are, and then tell them that they are only as good as their team. Still, knuckleheads need to be kicked to the curb.
Just FWIW here, I knew Coach Mike Martin who was the SFA men's coach from '88 to 90, he was our FCA Sponsor and a really good guy in a bad situation. He went 12 and 43 during his tenure (ouch). I can still see him wringing his hands and trying to explain how the players thought they were better than they were, almost content with just being college players rather than being winning college players; seriously made me rethink wanting to be a coach, lol. I was thinking about Coach (Martin) last night and wondering what (if anything) may be going on with some of these current players. You are dead on with your last point, you have to recruit and coddle one minute, then you have to force them into your team concept the next.
CertifiedAxeman98
I was not able to watch the game last night. Anyone know why Mitch and Karl didn't appear to play from the box score?

You have Sammy starting the second game he has played in months? Harris and Bogues can't carry this team for much longer if Fitz is going to continue to shoot like this. The continual changes in who starts and who is on the bench is a mess. No consistency at all and the players are starting to feel the pressure as losses mount up based on what they are tweeting out. Only 8 go to Katy and if you are not top 4 you have to win 4 straight to get to the big dance. The winner in Katy will be playing in Dayton this year especially if it is not SAM.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.