SFA / Southeastern Louisiana

31,898 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great analysis. I really think your thoughts on Keller's style of play are very insightful. This "could" be a very good team by the end of February/early March. I don't see this as the type of team that will win a tournament game.... or even make it to the tournament. Not saying they won't but the inconsistency seems to plague this group at the beginning of the game. That's what Walkup brought to the court.... always started strong and threw the opposition off.

Now . when we look at potential for 2019/2020 WOW. This should be a Top 30 squad from the get go. If TJ comes back the combination of experience/depth and raw talent will be hard to beat.

Axe 'Em Jacks.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

Great analysis. I really think your thoughts on Keller's style of play are very insightful. This "could" be a very good team by the end of February/early March. I don't see this as the type of team that will win a tournament game.... or even make it to the tournament. Not saying they won't but the inconsistency seems to plague this group at the beginning of the game. That's what Walkup brought to the court.... always started strong and threw the opposition off.

Now . when we look at potential for 2019/2020 WOW. This should be a Top 30 squad from the get go. If TJ comes back the combination of experience/depth and raw talent will be hard to beat.

Axe 'Em Jacks.
Shannon is gonna be hard to replace... We got to make it happen this year some how some way..Gotta make the NCAA tourney and win a game or it will be a dissappointment in my book.. I hate having to keep hoping for the next year then the next etc. etc.
TallTexan
Replacing Shannon is going to be a hard task, but the little known Bogues Brother, Bannon Bogues, ought to be up to the task. He looks remarkably like Shannon, but with a handlebar mustache.
cboothe09
Im really impressed with his little brother Shamir. Will be interested to see if we pursue him.

As for last night, it was a lot of fun to finally catch a game. It went about like expected. SELU's defense gave us fits, but we didnt help ourselves any in the first half. Defense had a couple of lapses, but for the most part we were equally disruptive for the Lions. Someone else needed to step up and it was Fitz. While I'm not his biggest fan, he does have talent that is helpful for this team. Nice win and on to the next one...

Nicholls is a better matchup for us next week, as their style plays directly into our strengths.
jflandis
Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85 said:

Axe 'Em Jacks.
Shannon is gonna be hard to replace... We got to make it happen this year some how some way..Gotta make the NCAA tourney and win a game or it will be a dissappointment in my book.. I hate having to keep hoping for the next year then the next etc. etc.
Absolutely could not agree more. Can not waste a year with a healthy Shannon and Kevon available no matter what other injuries we are dealing with. A mid major player with Shannon Bogues level talent is a rare thing. The talent is there for us to go on a run this year once we have our depth back. No guarantee that TJ will be back or that we won't have to deal with injuries again next year.
nacluth
There's never a true development season in college basketball. You have to win with what you got and push for everything. Nothing will be guaranteed going forward. So, we have to hope Aaron can make it back and hopefully Samuli will give some minutes to relieve Fitz. The key has to be getting Bogues back to the two spot. From there our freshmen can relieve five minutes a game while Fitz, Mitch, Karl, Bain, Sammy, and Jovan rotate and give five minutes of relief to Kevon.

My ideal breakdown is something like:
1: Aaron (60%); John (40%)
2: Bogues (85%); Hughes and Walker (15%)
3: Kevon (75%); Bain (15%); Nicholas (10%)
4: Mitch (40%); Bain (25%); Nicholas (20%); Other bigs (15%)
5: Fitz (65%); Sammy (15%); Other bigs (20%)

I think we can pull off team chemistry and be better than Underwood's first two years. I'm not seeing a Sweet 16 berth yet, but we have 19 games to build to something.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
RedRiverLa
TallTexan said:

Replacing Shannon is going to be a hard task, but the little known Bogues Brother, Bannon Bogues, ought to be up to the task. He looks remarkably like Shannon, but with a handlebar mustache.

I agree. I hear Walkup's brother, Shamos Walkup is available - he look's remarkable like Thomas, but he's clean shaven..
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
No-look
I really hope that coaching staff is pursuing a Juco point guard. Our guards are good but we need some depth at the pg position. A freshman would need time to develope and with an injury or sickness to John or Aaron next year we could be in the same shape as this year. Next year really looks good on paper but we have to translate that to the court....
No-look
Beating teams like LSU and Baylor and almost beating Alabama then struggling with a Southland team is not that uncommon. Conference teams see you every year and know most everything about you. They study and prepare better than non conference teams. I would love to go undefeated this year in conference play but it's probably not going to happen and it will be the same with the other teams. Hopefully we can win the conference or at least get a one or two seed at Katy.
slulionsfan
edstile said:

And I had no idea that California Baptist was a powerhouse. Who knew??

Revisiting this post one last time to mention that Cal Baptist knocked off heavy preseason WAC favorite, New Mexico State, in their first ever WAC game tonight. We knew they were really good when we played them, but this is further evidence.
RedRiverLa
Didn't realize Shannon played while dealing with the recent death of his uncle. Thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFA Jack Fanatic
slulionsfan said:

edstile said:

Revisiting this post one last time to mention that Cal Baptist knocked off heavy preseason WAC favorite, New Mexico State, in their first ever WAC game tonight. We knew they were really good when we played them, but this is further evidence.
Thanks for the info, slulionsfan. They are certainly playing well right now, and that was certainly their best game. I'm sure that they are opening some eyes in the WAC after last night.

BTW, the travel in the WAC must be terrible on schools' athletic budgets, with member schools in California, New Mexico, Texas, Missouri, Washington, Illinois, Arizona, and Utah. Geez Louise! I'm guessing they aren't traveling via Greyhound buses either.
TallTexan
edstile said:

slulionsfan said:

edstile said:

Thanks for the info, slulionsfan. They are certainly playing well right now, and that was certainly their best game. I'm sure that they are opening some eyes in the WAC after last night.

BTW, the travel in the WAC must be terrible on schools' athletic budgets, with member schools in California, New Mexico, Texas, Missouri, Washington, Illinois, Arizona, and Utah. Geez Louise! I'm guessing they aren't traveling via Greyhound buses either.

Isn't it the Wac that Tarleton's trying to join?
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

edstile said:

slulionsfan said:

edstile said:

Isn't it the Wac that Tarleton's trying to join?
No Texan they want SLC... WAC would cost too much for travel...
sfa17
SLC does not need another addition of a D2. Its bad already
SFASawmillGuy
sfa17 said:

If we went back to before we added HBU, UIW, and ACU, I would've been more than happy for us to include Tarleton and ACU. ACU wasn't far off from being competitive in D1 play when they first moved up anyway. I'd say Tarleton isn't far off either so they wouldn't be a bad choice for the SLC from a competitive standpoint.
I'm not against the current number of schools the SLC has but I've never fully accepted HBU or UIW as schools that bring anything to the table(though maybe UIW can bring football competitiveness now).
I would say if we were gonna add another school, Tarleton, Commerce, or possibly Midwestern State would all be good choices, if for no other reason than because they wouldn't take long to be competitive at the D1 level. But I think we'd need to drop at least one school from the conference to make it work. The SLC doesn't need to be a super conference. Just a competitive conference that can have different schools represent it in the NCAA postseason.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

I absolutely agree. No more D-2's! As I've said before, some big shots had to have gotten even richer from the under-the-table payoffs to get HBU, UIW, and ACU into the SLC. Except for ACU, we're still seeing the folly in allowing that to happen.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.